Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Valve Body Upgrade - speak out!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:44 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Valve Body Upgrade - speak out!

Hey Guys,

so, I just hit 100k miles on my G35 coupe and I am going to go through the car and do all of the 100k maintenance which includes flushing the tranny etc etc.

I talked to my buddy who helps me do all my work and he agreed to install a transgo shift kit for me during this maintenance procedure. I would like to get a strong discussion going on this kit and I have a few direct questions that I am hoping to have answered.

I searched google, and i searched this forum. I have read ALOT of information on this kit, but it is leaving me extremely undecided.

here is a list of my questions:

My car is a 2004 5AT, will installing this kit create any issues to this trans without the rev match feature of the newer models?

a few threads down, i saw that there is a member that has this installed and is not happy with it at all. Can I get some members who have it to give me their opinion straight out of daily drive as well as performance in both D and M mode?

is it true that once installed, it cannot be reversed?

does anyone regret getting this installed?

is there anyone locally by me that I can take a ride in their car with this installed (in Michigan) Ill pay ya for your time!

thanks guys, I know this stuff has been discussed but I haven't been able to gauge my interest off of others discussions.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:52 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
If installed correctly it is a good upgrade. It requires some of the holes in the valve body to be drilled to a larger diameter so once its installed thats it. With the increased line pressure at higher throttle the transmission will shift quicker and harder. I suspect that some people weren't expecting the shifting to be more violent which is why they may not like it. There may be legitimate problems from people that have this kit but I'm guessing it was an installation error. The majority of those that I've seen do this mod have not had issues.

The following users liked this post:
seymore4 (01-17-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by herrschaft
If installed correctly it is a good upgrade. It requires some of the holes in the valve body to be drilled to a larger diameter so once its installed thats it. With the increased line pressure at higher throttle the transmission will shift quicker and harder. I suspect that some people weren't expecting the shifting to be more violent which is why they may not like it. There may be legitimate problems from people that have this kit but I'm guessing it was an installation error. The majority of those that I've seen do this mod have not had issues.
Agreed.

With what I have read, if it is installed correctly you should have no issues and the shift response is wayyyyy better. You can get transgo for 200$ online so don't pay too much . GL!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:44 PM
thanks guys, I am having my buddy do the installation, he has done tons of work and owns his own business so Im trusting that he will be accurate for this installation. Hey urban engineer, where have you seen it for that cheap, everywhere I look it seems to be 295.00

as far as harder shifts, I understand that it is going to be more precise. Thats why we would install this type of a modification. However I heard that it is truly comfortable for the daily drive if kept below certain rpms while driving, does this hold true to the veterans with this kit?

What I don't want is some of the issues where I heard people are having discrepancies with the 1-2 shift vs the 2-3 shift and then some reporting that in M mode its harsh all the time.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think summit has it for under $250? And the 2-3 shift is harsher than 1-2 stock. The vb mod makes it worse sometimes. Not noticeable in normal driving for me and at full throttle it's fine. It's the 2/3 throttle where it sometimes shifts super hard yet the car isn't accelerating fast enough to warrant it that is irritating sometimes.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:07 PM
so here is another question.. My wife will have to drive the car sometimes, Is she gonna hate it lol

if we go out and I have a drink she will drive because we both do not drink and drive at all, so she will be driving the g35 from time to time. originally she was gonna drive the g35 for the most part but i fell in love with it after buying it, and the 4 door works much better for her!

Old 01-16-2014, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Under normal driving conditions it is very normal.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:36 PM
sounds good guys, I feel like I am taking a big chance here for some reason. I really hope mine turns out well. Im worried that I will have the clunking sound or something like some of the negative reviews that I have read. How long have you had your kit installed unrbanengineer?

Old 01-16-2014, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

I did not install it, I might eventually.

You will only really notice the 2->3 shift if you get nervous and upshift between 3k-4.5k. That is the faithful 2->3 super-clunk.

Honestly the noise scared me out of doing it,

The following users liked this post:
willmkent (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 11:03 PM
hmmm, I think I am going to put some more thought into this before just diving into it. I just wish there was some way I could actually ride/drive in a car that had it installed to actually get a feel for what it would be like

Old 01-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My wife never notices it when she drives the FX. If you're just commuting it's basically unnoticable. Only if you start driving a little aggressively. If you're not clunking now, you won't clunk with the VB. It doesn't create the clunk, it just amplifies it.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Ok, that sounds good, my trans shifts very smooth and I have not had any issues with it clunking or shifting weird. Ugh, I really want to do this mod but I'm gun shy. Most of what I read, people loved it, but the. I read a few threads where people were regretting putting it in and now I'm totally on the fence

Old 01-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Find a shop locally that has experience with installing these on our VB's or just have the VB shipped out to a place that does.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Jeez you guys worry too much. Get the valve body done by a professional transmission expert that can follow the instructions. It is still docile and smooth when daily driving. And the shift quality *can* be tweaked via UpRev adjustment of the torque tables if you really want to adjust it afterwards.

The following 2 users liked this post by rcdash:
seymore4 (01-18-2014), willmkent (01-19-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 10:03 PM
I'm 100 percent sure my buddy can do this, he has a vast amount of experience in building and repairing cars for customers. Sorry for my ignorance but what is up rev? That doesn't have anything to do with the vqhr motor or anything does it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Valve Body Upgrade - speak out!