Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Amsoil Fuel-Efficient vs Multi-Vehicle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amsoil Fuel-Efficient vs Multi-Vehicle

Good Evening Folks,

I had to work this Saturday but thankfully it was slow so I decided its time to checkout the forums. 06 G35 sedan auto just hit 53k. I've owned car since 30k and it has never had any transmission flushes, drains or differential work.

After doing some searching I found the:
Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 2 quart is the key for my differential.

My question being I want to also drain the tranny since I will have the car up and it's about that time. My 1st to 2nd shifting has gotten more firm, when cold, since I bought her so I'm hoping this will loosen her up again.

I see on Amsoil website it shows two signature series options for our automatic transmissions: Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid and Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. Main differences I see is the Multi-Vehicle is only Nissan Matic-d and J, not the updated S. Fuel-Efficient is the updated S. Anyway, nobody bought a G35 to be fuel efficient so which one would be a better choice? I do not want to make it less responsive and tame by using a fuel-efficient based product vs high performance.

What do you guys think the major differences would be? If the Fuel-Efficient is Matic S shouldn't it be the better choice since its "newer" according to specs and certifications? Also I wanted to just drain from the plug since I'm not the best handyman but how many quarts should I purchase?

Old 01-19-2014, 07:34 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I'd avoid any tranny fluid that isn't OEM Matic S, including those that say they are a qualified replacement like Amsoil. Our cars can be very picky when it comes to the transmissions and if you are under warranty still I believe using anything other than OEM can void your warranty.

For a drain and fill you'll need to buy 4 qts but will probably only use 3.5 of that so you'll have a little extra left over if you have to top it off at any time.

The following users liked this post:
Brossi (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I'd avoid any tranny fluid that isn't OEM Matic S, including those that say they are a qualified replacement like Amsoil. Our cars can be very picky when it comes to the transmissions and if you are under warranty still I believe using anything other than OEM can void your warranty.

For a drain and fill you'll need to buy 4 qts but will probably only use 3.5 of that so you'll have a little extra left over if you have to top it off at any time.
I'll def stick with the OEM Matic S then! Thanks a lot for helping

Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Being an AMSOIL customer for several years I too had the same question. AMSOIL sends me a catalog with all their products, searching thru trans fluids for our AT even they recommend using Nissan's trans fluid! If they had anything better I can guarantee they'd let us know...Gary

The following users liked this post:
Brossi (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Being an AMSOIL customer for several years I too had the same question. AMSOIL sends me a catalog with all their products, searching thru trans fluids for our AT even they recommend using Nissan's trans fluid! If they had anything better I can guarantee they'd let us know...Gary
Gary,

I have heard of people worshiping Amsoil products so you telling me this just puts more confidence in using the OEM Matic S fluid. Thanks a lot for the boost! BTW, where would be the cheapest place to get the Matic S? I can find it for $8.00+ online but shipping is like $15+ for 4 qts! Nissan dealership most likely?

Last edited by Brossi; 01-20-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Auto zone sells the stuff. Look for a deal and buy it then.