Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

quaife LSD, pumpkins, and stub axle cross compatability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 04:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
quaife LSD, pumpkins, and stub axle cross compatability?

I've been told (by a knowledgeable source) that the quaife model designed for manual VLSD equipped cars can be installed in a open diff pumpkin (from a manual) and then used on an OEM VLSD equipped car with no problems or modifications- other than that the stub axles from the VLSD equipped diff need to used. Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

My apologies to my "knowledgeable source" if you happen to be reading this. Absolutely no disrespect intended. Asking here if for no other reason than that I may have misunderstood you.

My situation: I have a 2007 G35 6MT coupe with OEM VLSD. I just bought a differential from a 6 speed 2005 350Z off ebay. My intention is to install a quaife (and 4.08 gears) into the Z diff that is en route to me and install it in my G, saving my original diff should I ever go FI and want the lower gearing back. I don't know whether this new diff has VLSD or is open, but given what I've been told, it doesn't matter, and I plan on ordering the quaife model for VLSD equipped cars and using my original stub axles. This will work?

Sure hope I get the answer I want to hear. Already paid for the Z diff, and guessing it's most likely open...

Here's a link to the auction with several pics of the donor car- just in case someone can decipher the model and tell whether it was VLSD equipped (I have no idea if that's even possible, just hoping):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121218662669

Thanks for your time,
Ethan