Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Leaking Rack & Pinion (2nd replacement)

Old 12-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking Rack & Pinion (2nd replacement)

Ok, let me give the background. In 2011 I noticed some "whining" in my steering, some liquid on the carport, checked the Power Steering Fluid and Wahlah! (IT WAS LOW!!!). Took the car to my mechanic, ordered a rack & pinion from rackdoctor.com (as advised to do so by mechanic to save $$). They replaced my rack, I sent the core back to rackdoctor.com and they refunded me $75 bucks for sending the core back. It is NOW 2014. My started went out on me Friday night. I had the car towed first thing Saturday morning to my mechanic. The started was replaced and they said the car was cranking BUT. There is always a but. Let me add in this too that the TUESDAY of the same week my starter went out on FRIDAY, I have the oil changed, tires rotated & balanced, and a $95 headlight bulb replaced. $194 in total. It is now the following Monday, the starter was replaced this morning and the "but" led to BUT..your rack and pinion is "pissing fluid" on the lift. Your power steering fluid is bone dry. It needs to be replaced. (1), just had the car serviced Tuesday...wasn't low...wasn't whining..wasn't hard to steer..no leaks on my carport. (2) the car driving perfectly fine before it was towed to the shop (obviously I just couldnt get it to crank because of start). I called rackdoctor to explain to them the leak and they told me when i bought the parts in 2011 they only offered 2-year warranties on their parts. On their website it says they now offer lifetime, but during my purchase only 2-year warranties were valid. So now in less than 7 days I have racked up a bill over $1000 and this will be the 2nd rack and pinion replacement in three years. I'm getting no help on parts because rackdoctor.com says my warranty was only two years. I am getting no help on labor because my mechanic says they cant stand behind the labor part of it because I purchased my own parts. My main issue is my car showed NO sign of leaks, whines, hard steering, anything until obviously now at the shop. I dont understand how my car went from fine on tuesday during service to BONE DRY power steering fluid on Monday. (when the car hasnt been driven since the starter went out Friday night.) I had mechanic "friend" of mine go jack the cap up saturday before the tow truck came and he said he said there was DEFIANTLY no power steering fluid on the concrete and he seen NO leaks. I am no expert, but I do have some common sense. Could it be possible the tow truck hooked to something wrong, or something else? I just think its crazy I went from no tell tell signs of a rack problem to needing an immediate replacement after a simple starter replacement???

I've already had this same shop tell me my radiator was leaking and was "bone dry" before when my car had NEVER once ran hot...

Something just isnt adding up. All comments and suggestions are welcomed!!!

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2017, 02:50 PM
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by therrin4
Ok, let me give the background. In 2011 I noticed some "whining" in my steering, some liquid on the carport, checked the Power Steering Fluid and Wahlah! (IT WAS LOW!!!). Took the car to my mechanic, ordered a rack & pinion from rackdoctor.com (as advised to do so by mechanic to save $$). They replaced my rack, I sent the core back to rackdoctor.com and they refunded me $75 bucks for sending the core back. It is NOW 2014. My started went out on me Friday night. I had the car towed first thing Saturday morning to my mechanic. The started was replaced and they said the car was cranking BUT. There is always a but. Let me add in this too that the TUESDAY of the same week my starter went out on FRIDAY, I have the oil changed, tires rotated & balanced, and a $95 headlight bulb replaced. $194 in total. It is now the following Monday, the starter was replaced this morning and the "but" led to BUT..your rack and pinion is "pissing fluid" on the lift. Your power steering fluid is bone dry. It needs to be replaced. (1), just had the car serviced Tuesday...wasn't low...wasn't whining..wasn't hard to steer..no leaks on my carport. (2) the car driving perfectly fine before it was towed to the shop (obviously I just couldnt get it to crank because of start). I called rackdoctor to explain to them the leak and they told me when i bought the parts in 2011 they only offered 2-year warranties on their parts. On their website it says they now offer lifetime, but during my purchase only 2-year warranties were valid. So now in less than 7 days I have racked up a bill over $1000 and this will be the 2nd rack and pinion replacement in three years. I'm getting no help on parts because rackdoctor.com says my warranty was only two years. I am getting no help on labor because my mechanic says they cant stand behind the labor part of it because I purchased my own parts. My main issue is my car showed NO sign of leaks, whines, hard steering, anything until obviously now at the shop. I dont understand how my car went from fine on tuesday during service to BONE DRY power steering fluid on Monday. (when the car hasnt been driven since the starter went out Friday night.) I had mechanic "friend" of mine go jack the cap up saturday before the tow truck came and he said he said there was DEFIANTLY no power steering fluid on the concrete and he seen NO leaks. I am no expert, but I do have some common sense. Could it be possible the tow truck hooked to something wrong, or something else? I just think its crazy I went from no tell tell signs of a rack problem to needing an immediate replacement after a simple starter replacement???

I've already had this same shop tell me my radiator was leaking and was "bone dry" before when my car had NEVER once ran hot...

Something just isnt adding up. All comments and suggestions are welcomed!!!

Thanks!
I know this was years ago but I wanted to know, what was the resolution?

Old 11-20-2017, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by IllaNoizeTV
I know this was years ago but I wanted to know, what was the resolution?
I stopped using that shop and never had another issue. Found several people who had the same scenarios happening to them. For example radiators leaking, weren’t, taking there cars in for an oil change and suddenly needing new coil packs, rotors, just random stuff and it was all women who told me this. I replaced the rack and pinion the last time and still have the car at 200k miles, no issues. I couldn’t prove it but I’m sure the tow truck damaged my rack. I was under the car myself and there was no fluid or issues prior. Always question your shop, I learned the hard way

Old 11-20-2017, 05:26 PM
Awesome. I'm glad everything worked out. It sucks that you have to be skeptical about shops but until human beings can be honest without trying to squeeze every penny out of you, things won't change...

Old 11-20-2017, 06:41 PM
Awesome. I'm glad everything worked out. It sucks that you have to be skeptical about shops but until human beings can be honest without trying to squeeze every penny out of you, things won't change...
you are exactly right. I changed to the local Nissan dealership and it has made a world of difference. Made me love my G again instead of it just being a money pit for me

Old 11-20-2017, 08:23 PM
How much do they charge per hour? I always been afraid to take mine to the stealership because they cost an arm and leg.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:34 PM
How much do they charge per hour? I always been afraid to take mine to the stealership because they cost an arm and leg.
honestly I don’t know. I let them do regular service oil stuff like that. I know I let them do front rotors and brakes and it was almost 500 bucks. I use a local brake shop and rotors and brakes all the way around done for about 200. But I will say they don’t find new problems all the time that I didn’t think I had. I bought a murano and use them for that too and it’s been a good experience so far. On my 2nd ac compressor already on the murano but all been under warranty thankfully

Old 11-20-2017, 10:05 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
The word Stealership is what Infiniti dealerships have been called, at least by me thru experience! ($300 trans drain/fill) From what I've seen, Nissan mechanics are better trained and they charge 30% less than Infiniti! I owned a Z prior to my G35 and they've always been honest and treated me well. I also have an independent Nissan shop I frequent along with my tuner (SpecialtyZ) which has equipment the dealerships have never seen, wouldn't know how to use!
Gary

Old 11-21-2017, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
The word Stealership is what Infiniti dealerships have been called, at least by me thru experience! ($300 trans drain/fill) From what I've seen, Nissan mechanics are better trained and they charge 30% less than Infiniti! I owned a Z prior to my G35 and they've always been honest and treated me well. I also have an independent Nissan shop I frequent along with my tuner (SpecialtyZ) which has equipment the dealerships have never seen, wouldn't know how to use!
Gary
exactly! The nearest Infiniti shop is an hour and a half away and our local Nissan dealership has always accommodated me no matter what the issue!