Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Throw out bearing, hydraulics, ttransmission???? Something's failing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throw out bearing, hydraulics, ttransmission???? Something's failing

I recently purchased a one owner 04 g35 (6mt obviously) with 94k on it. I bought it about a month ago and during the test drive I noticed that if the clutch pedal was pushed slowly it would pulsate, initial thought was either it was "normal" or hydraulic related issue. After looking up the same symptom in g/z forums I was leaning more toward throw out bearing. A month later I am having several issues that have come up and seemingly relatable. The first issue that arose was a weird grinding/squeaking noise/sensation when going into 2nd and 3rd gear but it doesn't feel as harsh as a synchronizer issue. It only does it in 2nd and 3rd, and grinds twice each time, grinds once while the clutch is pushed in (even to the floor) as soon as you go into gear, and once again as soon as you let completely off of the clutch . This issue was not present until a month after ownership, not even slightly, and the car has not been abused even once in my possession. The second issue is that sometimes (happened maybe 4-5 times) if you are sitting at idle such as waiting to pull out into traffic in gear with the clutch pressed to the floor an extremely loud obnoxious metal on metal noise is emitted until you release the clutch. Also, I don't know if this is related at all, but if sitting at idle in neutral for several minutes I hear a single random thud/clunk once every 20-30 seconds? It could be the fans kicking on but it sounds more rearward and louder than what I'm used to.

My current plan for attack is to replace the clutch/flywheel with either JWT or southbend, pivot ball, steel braided lines and at least a new slave cylinder (possibly master as well). What I'm hoping to get from posting this is reassurance that it's not likely to be the transmission itself in any way based on my description. While I'm here I may as well ask instead of starting another thread, does anyone know if motordyne art pipes will 100% bolt on to an otherwise entirely stock exhaust system? I got a cel for the cat on bank 2 and I guess I'll go ahead and knock that out when I do the clutch

Old 02-13-2015, 10:16 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
clanking when pedal is pressed is throwout most likely. the hard time shifting is most likely master cylinder. the master is more likely to go out than the slave. the grinding could either be due to a master problem, or the synchros. the synchros going doesnt always have to be harsh as it could just be the beginning of the issue. the G/Z trans is known for synchro issues unless you have a CD009(newer model trans).

Old 02-13-2015, 11:04 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by stay_tuned
My current plan for attack is to replace the clutch/flywheel with either JWT or southbend, pivot ball, steel braided lines and at least a new slave cylinder (possibly master as well). What I'm hoping to get from posting this is reassurance that it's not likely to be the transmission itself in any way based on my description.
Good plan

No, I don't think it's the tranny.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the quick response. The part about the grinding (it feels comparable to the sound/feeling of gripping and twisting a ballon if that makes any sense) that is weird to me is the fact that it grinds a second time after the clutch is released, that's a first for me.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Also I forgot to add, this is my fiancés car, she drove it again yesterday and got into it and said it didn't grind at all in higher revs, only during "normal" driving.... Again, weird to me since usually most grinding would occur at higher rpms from what I've experienced.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:32 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
not so, at high RPM, the bearing tends to "float" and the noise goes away. At low RPM, the frequency of the noise is low enough to make itself heard.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
not so, at high RPM, the bearing tends to "float" and the noise goes away. At low RPM, the frequency of the noise is low enough to make itself heard.
I meant as far as synchros, I meant to mention it in the post but apparently I didnt. I'm really hoping the transmission isn't damaged at all

Old 03-25-2015, 12:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

I have the same problem with the balloon like grinding while going into gear, with the clutch pressed, and again as I release the clutch. This happens in all gears, but I have to be gassing it while letting the clutch out for normal acceleration. I had the Clutch Release bearing (Throwout bearing) replaced and the noise started again the next day. The 30 mile drive home was smooth as butter and quiet, I was excited. What felt like synchro issues was totally gone while it was working. I am looking for an answer before I throw parts at it. The pressure plate fingers are discolored at the tips due to being hot. My plan B course of action is to replace the Pilot bushing, Pressure plate, and Throw Out Bearing. If it starts up again, I'm looking for a used transmission but that's a big risk. I have an 04 G35 6 Speed Manual with 137,xxx miles. I replaced the clutch that it came with in December 2014, it's March 24, 2015 and the bearing was replaced the second time on March 20. The bearing from December had about 3500 miles on it and it seems to have gone bad suddenly.
The first flywheel that got replaced in December was a Nissan oem that had the damper springs busted, between the loads. We thought the clutch was worn down but everything was new when we opened it up. I bought the car in December so the previous owner must have done something really stupid.

Last edited by drew04g35; 03-25-2015 at 12:55 AM. Reason: More info
Old 04-05-2015, 12:19 PM
I finally got around to ordering everything..... According to the diy it is recommended to replace the driveshaft bolts as well, but I can't find a part number for those anywhere. Does anyone happen to know it by chance? Also, is there anything else I should do/check/replace while I'm at it? I was going to do the rear main seal like you should with most other cars but after seeing what all is involved, I'll pass on that unless it's needed lol. Also, any recommendations on which transmission fluid to use?

Old 04-05-2015, 04:09 PM
I had the same lighter grinding when putting the stick into gear, and accelerating while the clutch is reaching the same speed as the flywheel. It turns out it's a Pilot bushing, which holds the input shaft in place as a load bearing surface. I changed the Throw out bearing, pressure plate, and pilot bushing and I'm back in business.

The following users liked this post:
stay_tuned (04-26-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 05:53 PM
Do you happen to know what was wrong with your bushing? Mine looked fine when I pulled it out, but I'm not sure about any measurements as I just tossed it and installed the new one.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:59 PM
There were some slight score marks inside, like looking for damage in a piston. It barely looked worn at all but it was enough to cause problems. Maybe the noise was the input shaft bearing making the noise while the input shaft was out of alignment. After the clutch is fully engaged, the pilot bushing spins at the same speed as the input shaft. Maybe the noise is the shaft skipping around inside the pilot bushing.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:09 AM
Do you recall if you had any play on the throw out bearing carrier or whatever it's called. Mine seemed to sag a little and I could wiggle it up and down on the input shaft, not sure if I should replace it or if it's normal/acceptable.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:29 PM
There is some play in the throwout bearing holder thing. It has to leave room for bearing lube. This is not a spinning surface, the Throwout bearing just slides up and down when you use the clutch. If there were anything wrong with it, it would have pitting, or leave marks on the shaft it rides on.

Attached Thumbnails Throw out bearing, hydraulics, ttransmission???? Something's failing-clutch-bell.jpg  
Old 04-29-2015, 11:28 AM
One last question... Hopefully... Where does the breather tube (that was on a bracket attached by a bell housing bolt at the top) route to? It's dangling from my transmission and I could not find where it came from. I didn't know what was on the bracket when I took it off, just that the bolt that I had to take off was holding it on, and I assume the force of me pulling the tranny out pulled it off of the fitting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Throw out bearing, hydraulics, ttransmission???? Something's failing