Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Bad Clutch Line...Fixed and now 3rd Gear Grinds?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad Clutch Line...Fixed and now 3rd Gear Grinds?

So,

The other day i was leaving work and i noticed i could not get my car into gear. It wouldnt go into first or reverse and the pedal was completely depressed. If i did get it to first (right at first start up), i wouldnt be able to get it to second or back into first because the pedal would remain depressed. I had the car flat bedded to my mechanic to take a look at and he notice my clutchline was bad.

I have the whole JWT High Pressure clutch/flywheel combo and the stainless steel line it came with went bad. No Biggie... I ordered a new stainless steel clutch line and everything should be good.

He switches out the bad line and VWALLA! Car is moving. Clutch is working, depressing and retracting as it should, however... third gear is grinding like CRAZY! And its grinding EVERY TIME its put into third, and it NEVER did that before. Even when the car is at a STAND STILL the car grinds trying to get it into third. AGAIN, IT NEVER DID THIS BEFORE, not even in the slightest bit. The drive to work was complete smooth sailing so its making me question, what could have gone wrong while changing this?

In speaking with mechanic, he believes the synchros may have gone bad. He has bled the hell out of all the lines, so there is no air in them... and verified there was gear fluid in the tranny, which was full.

Anyone have any idea what may be causing this? I am hoping it isnt the synchros because that would lead me to believe i would need a new tranny, however i would think if the synchros were going i would have gradually noticed this. (Maybe a slight grind here or there in third).... but I've seen NOTHING of any sort what-so-ever, prior to the issue with the clutchline. Not in ice cold weather, nor in warm weather. Even within the day it went bad there was nothing, so i dont know how it would be that. Will synchros just go bad instantly? I would think something would at least have prompted it to sh*t the bed if that was true.

Anyhow...In reading a few posts on here, i've seen people with similar issues have changed the fluid to a Red Line or AMSOIL which resolved the issue. This is going to be my next suggestion. Hopefully that helps, but any insight from anyone on here would be greatly appreciated.

Its an 2005 Coupe 6MT. 130K miles..
As fars as drivetrain mods i have JWT Clutch/Flywheel Combo.
All other mods are strictly bolt-ons.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!