Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Gonna need a new tranny..a couple questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gonna need a new tranny..a couple questions

Hey all, I have been having problems with my 04 g35 rwd sedan originally thinking it was the valve body. Having codes for front brake solenoid and atf pressure switch 1. Car also began going into limp mode a lot. Took it to Infiniti yesterday and the tech found it to be 3 quarts low on tranny fluid..also said that a valve body wouldn't fix it. That if it continues acting up and slipping I'll have to replace the transmission.

So I've been looking on eBay, found some used transmissions, one specifically from an 04 sedan and with 74k miles. Question is how can I be certain this will fit? And will I have to use my valve body/tcm on this "new" transmission. Can anybody give me a little advice here before I make a big purchase? Thanks -

Bonus pic of car
Gonna need a new tranny..a couple questions-ubfid0p.jpg

Old 09-03-2015, 11:04 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
3 qts low wont fry your VB although it will hurt other areas.
im surprised you would let it go that low. i would be more diligent in the future for checking your fluids.

anyhow, the major concerns are picking up a transmission that has been sitting out since 2005-2007, if they let it sit dry and in the weather. you will likely be in the same spot after the swap.
if the wrecked car also happened to do trans damage when the wreck happened.

manuals dont really have this issue since everything is much different as far as internals go.

in the mean time, i would at least do a drain and fill with the proper fluid and see if things improve for you. they likely will.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by andrewvk
3 qts low wont fry your VB although it will hurt other areas.
im surprised you would let it go that low. i would be more diligent in the future for checking your fluids.

anyhow, the major concerns are picking up a transmission that has been sitting out since 2005-2007, if they let it sit dry and in the weather. you will likely be in the same spot after the swap.
if the wrecked car also happened to do trans damage when the wreck happened.

manuals dont really have this issue since everything is much different as far as internals go.

in the mean time, i would at least do a drain and fill with the proper fluid and see if things improve for you. they likely will.

Yes I am surprised it was that low. I should've checked it, I hadn't because of it being bolted on. Was considering a flush and filter/fluid change at least

Old 09-04-2015, 10:38 AM
do these auto transmissions have filters?
if they are anything like the autos behind the titans, frontiers, xterra, ect. they dont have a filter.
also, if they are anything like the same auto trans i just mentioned. doing a flush will hurt you more than help you.

drain and fills are the way to go.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:02 AM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
do these auto transmissions have filters?
if they are anything like the autos behind the titans, frontiers, xterra, ect. they dont have a filter.
also, if they are anything like the same auto trans i just mentioned. doing a flush will hurt you more than help you.

drain and fills are the way to go.
Flushing and draining/filling do the same thing, exchange fluid. Both methods will hurt once your clutch packs are worn. A flush just gets all of the clutch pack/tranny fluid solution out, a drain and fill leaves some behind. After a few drain/fills you will do as much harm as one good flush.

OP find a tranny with the same production date as your car. Look that up using the VIN # on your car and on potential transmissions. An example of a build date is 11/04. They switched from external to internal TCM's so make sure you get one from the same build date and you won't have an issue. The TCM will have to be reprogrammed at a dealer, it will need to be towed there.

There is a mesh filter, it can be changed or washed out with iso alcohol. Nothing to really worry about though.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:24 PM
i mean its the same type of thing as far as exchanging fluid. but the drain and fill is just dropping about 30-40% of your fluid and replacing it with the proper fluid to the proper level
and a flush is taking is somewhere and having them put in a fluid of unknown type and hoping for the best.
you do it yourself you are certain of what was done. you take it somewhere and you have 0 clue after you leave.

Last edited by andrewvk; 09-04-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:02 PM
i mean its the same type of thing as far as exchanging fluid. but the drain and fill is just dropping about 30-40% of your fluid and replacing it with the proper fluid to the proper level
and a flush is taking is somewhere and having them put in a fluid of unknown type and hoping for the best.
you do it yourself you are certain of what was done. you take it somewhere and you have 0 clue after you leave.
If anybody is going to flush a Nissan transmission with fluid that is not Nissan made there are no nice things to say about them.

I was talking about a flush with Nissan fluid.

If you're having issues that would lead to a flush or drain/fill (other than for routine maintenance) you're going to need to go buy a new transmission in the end anyway.

Last edited by yosip1115; 09-04-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:31 PM
very true.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
Flushing and draining/filling do the same thing, exchange fluid. Both methods will hurt once your clutch packs are worn. A flush just gets all of the clutch pack/tranny fluid solution out, a drain and fill leaves some behind. After a few drain/fills you will do as much harm as one good flush.

OP find a tranny with the same production date as your car. Look that up using the VIN # on your car and on potential transmissions. An example of a build date is 11/04. They switched from external to internal TCM's so make sure you get one from the same build date and you won't have an issue. The TCM will have to be reprogrammed at a dealer, it will need to be towed there.

There is a mesh filter, it can be changed or washed out with iso alcohol. Nothing to really worry about though.
I bought a transmission from eBay, tested and from a sedan same year very close build dates. Going to have it installed somewhere then reprogrammed at the dealer. With the way this is slipping I don't think the fluid change would fix it. Got the tranny for $650. The donor cars build date is 01/04 and my build date is 07/03, is this too far or ok?

Last edited by bryanr; 09-04-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by bryanr
I bought a transmission from eBay, tested and from a sedan same year very close build dates. Going to have it installed somewhere then reprogrammed at the dealer. With the way this is slipping I don't think the fluid change would fix it. Got the tranny for $650. The donor cars build date is 01/04 and my build date is 07/03, is this too far or ok?

Should be OK unless you hit the exact point in time that they made the switch... Not sure where it is but a few fancy searches would track that info down. I was reading about it a whiiiiiile ago. It's here somewhere... There are also probably visual cues to look for

Old 09-04-2015, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
Should be OK unless you hit the exact point in time that they made the switch... Not sure where it is but a few fancy searches would track that info down. I was reading about it a whiiiiiile ago. It's here somewhere... There are also probably visual cues to look for
Well it's shipping out via freight on Tuesday, I'll update this thread when it arrives. Thanks all for your help so far

Old 09-08-2015, 11:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need new vb and tcm

Took my car to transmission shop after my engine light came on and the code was p1757 a/t f/b solenoid valve. Well after they looked at the car they came to the conclusion that I'll need new vb and tcm, but dealer only part is asking 1500 for part and I'm curious since 2006 g35 sedan rwd was such a common Transmission, if I could go to nissan and order vb from a titan or 350z or armada. They all used same tranny. Since I have a friend that works there I could get a huge discount. Thanks

Old 09-09-2015, 12:06 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
My best advice at this point is to have your AT checked out by a real transmission shop, not the dealership since their knowledge is very limited! You gotta ask yourself, "How did I get 3 quarts low?" To those that aren't aware our AT's don't have a filter, which makes it a good idea to replace the fluid more frequently. I change SLICKS AT fluid once a year living in a hot climate, it's good insurance!
Gary

Old 09-09-2015, 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
My best advice at this point is to have your AT checked out by a real transmission shop, not the dealership since their knowledge is very limited! You gotta ask yourself, "How did I get 3 quarts low?" To those that aren't aware our AT's don't have a filter, which makes it a good idea to replace the fluid more frequently. I change SLICKS AT fluid once a year living in a hot climate, it's good insurance!
Gary
Didn't know there wasn't a filter, good to know. It is driving better since the fluid was added, but over 45mph it acts goofy. I'm thinking 4th and 5th are messed up.

After I get this swapped out I may do yearly fluid changes like you.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by Ednica87
Took my car to transmission shop after my engine light came on and the code was p1757 a/t f/b solenoid valve. Well after they looked at the car they came to the conclusion that I'll need new vb and tcm, but dealer only part is asking 1500 for part and I'm curious since 2006 g35 sedan rwd was such a common Transmission, if I could go to nissan and order vb from a titan or 350z or armada. They all used same tranny. Since I have a friend that works there I could get a huge discount. Thanks
Check out infinitipartsusa.com for your valve body, they have them for about 1,100.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gonna need a new tranny..a couple questions