Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

03 G35 transmission fluid J or S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 G35 transmission fluid J or S?

Hey guys can anyone tell me the exact fluid I should use? It is an automatic transmission.

It would be awesome if you could link the exact one or give the part number. I just want to be sure that I use the right one.

I've read that S can be used but I'm not sure at all.

Also, how MANY quarts do you think I'll need for a full flush? About 12 or 13?

Thank you for any help!

Old 08-02-2016, 05:59 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Matic S replaced Matic J but either is fine for your car. Your transmission holds just under 11 qts so that's your target number. However the predominant mindset here is don't do a flush on the older AT's, do a few drain and fills with a few hundred miles between each. Trannys wear over time and the little bits of metal help to fill in the where the wear occurs on the gears. Flushes can lead to slippage and uneven performance by removing the metal bits. A few long time old school mechanics are friends of mine and they live by the "never change ATF ever" philosophy. Can't say I completely believe in that but their stories lend credence to the thought.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally would completely disagree with the previous statement. That's like saying because your piston rings wear out, having that metal bits helps keep the seal on the Pistons better and it's helping a having that metal bits helps keep the seal on the Pistons better no it's helping it. I flushed mine out on my transmission, i've never had any issues with it. Because of a transmission is already slipping it's only going to wear done even faster that "metal bits" floating around. Because isnt oil supposed to lubricate?

Oh and I would recommend getting the fluid from Nissan race shop, it's on sale right now dirt cheap. Cheaper than most other brands even on Amazon or eBay right now. I'm going to get my transmission fluid and my partner and fluid flushed again, and it was the cheapest on their website right now. Because I tried royal purple ATF and power Steering. I don't like either of them, so I'm gonna go OEM on both. It'll be cheaper in the long run then the other brands anyways

Old 09-17-2016, 11:46 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
That's the beautiful thing about living in the US, we can all have an opinion and be able to express it w/o persecution (or we are supposed to have that freedom). I will agree to disagree, I see your point but at 54 have seen examples of what I stated above in person to be true.