Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

What clutch should I get?

Old 08-26-2016, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What clutch should I get?

What clutch should I get? I was planning on getting Z1 Motorsports clutch and flywheel combo since I live 10 minutes away but after reading online people seen to hate Z1. However people in Atlanta and G's facebook group praises Z1, Anyone have experience with their clutches? I'm also pretty new to manuals. I was told my clutch is heavy and travel distance is extremely little and it also bites all the way at the top. Will changing it make it lighter and change the biting point? Thanks! I drive a 2007 G35 Coupe for anyone who's curious.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:51 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
you can adjust the clutch pedal so it doesnt engage so damn early. mine engages about halfway down, like pretty much every other manual ive driven. just takes a screw driver and 10mm open end wrench. took me maybe 5 minutes to do it. some people say its bad for the clutch, it can be if you adjust it too far in, but ive been driving it like that for a year with zero problems

Old 08-26-2016, 08:49 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Here's a simple fact, unless you track or drag your coupe the best clutch is the one it came with from the factory! After market clutches can cause issues and chatter like hell, stay with the OE clutch if yours needs replacing!
Gary

The following users liked this post:
telcoman (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 09:23 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetThuy
... I was told my clutch is heavy and travel distance is extremely little and it also bites all the way at the top. Will changing it make it lighter and change the biting point? Thanks! I drive a 2007 G35 Coupe for anyone who's curious.
Mine was exactly like this when I got it. I also thought I was due for a new clutch b/c the bite point was all the way up top. But, after adjusting it properly, which the FSM makes no mention of, it made all the difference. 20k miles later and still holding fine.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:00 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Here's a simple fact, unless you track or drag your coupe the best clutch is the one it came with from the factory! After market clutches can cause issues and chatter like hell, stay with the OE clutch if yours needs replacing!
Gary
Here's a simple fact - the chattering usually comes from the crappy Nissan bearing giving out which means that even the stock clutch is just as susceptible to chatter as an aftermarket clutch simply because you are using the same crappy bearing.

Here's another simple fact - this is a very common problem in the Nissan world.

Last edited by dofu; 08-26-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by dofu
Thanks for the warning but once you examine the issue and see that the chattering comes from the crappy Nissan bearing giving out, then you will realize that even the stock clutch is just as susceptible to chatter as an aftermarket clutch simply because you are using the same crappy bearing.
Tofu, if you're referring to the "Throw out Bearing" you can put thousands of miles on them before you notice any noise or not. My last TT Z I put 118K miles on the clutch before an oil leak destroyed the clutch, throw out bearing made zero chatter!
Gary

Old 08-26-2016, 11:11 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
Thanks for the warning but once you examine the issue and see that the chattering comes from the crappy Nissan bearing giving out, then you will realize that even the stock clutch is just as susceptible to chatter as an aftermarket clutch simply because you are using the same crappy bearing.
Do you mean the throwout bearing? Then why would it continue to chatter in neutral, clutch disengaged?

I was under the impression the aftermarket lightweight flywheels were what made the chatter worse than the heavyweight OEM dual mass flywheels. Nothing to do with the clutch assembly afaik.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:43 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Balance your clutch and flywheel before install. Doing so will reduce a lot of vibrations. A lot of shops will tell you it is not necessary and they are right because it isn't - you just get to live with "a little" chatter.

If you've done this and you still get chattering, change out that stupid bearing and you will have about a month or two of chatter-free driving (until it goes out again).

Last edited by dofu; 08-26-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:07 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
Chatter is never caused by throwout bearing.. smh.. It is the aftermarket lw fw.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:38 AM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
OEM will chatter slightly in neutral and when u shut the car down.

aftermarket will chatter louder in neutral, when u lug the engine(loudly), and when u shut it down. My OEM weight JWT flywheel chatters like a **** under low rpm accel. But that and the exhaust just adds to the sexy.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:35 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
chatter schmatter who gives a f***, driving a car is all about the experience and performance for me. This debate reminds me of all the complaints about "stinky exhaust" when people are discussing test pipes. That's how cars smelled for decades and no one complained back in the day.

In the next 2 years Ford announced that it would be releasing a "car" to the masses that has no gas pedal, brake pedal or steering wheel. IMHO that's not a fvcking car.........Clint Eastwood's right, we live in a "pu**y generation" and it's really sad. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0104052a1443d

Love me some Clint!!!

/End rant

Old 08-29-2016, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
chatter schmatter who gives a f***, driving a car is all about the experience and performance for me. This debate reminds me of all the complaints about "stinky exhaust" when people are discussing test pipes. That's how cars smelled for decades and no one complained back in the day.
In the next 2 years Ford announced that it would be releasing a "car" to the masses that has no gas pedal, brake pedal or steering wheel. IMHO that's not a fvcking car.........Clint Eastwood's right, we live in a "pu**y generation" and it's really sad.
Love me some Clint!!!
/End rant
Having grown up in an era when we had lead in our gasoline and it lined the inside of our exhaust tips, I was addicted to that beautiful aroma! Today's cars the only thing lining our exhaust tips is soot and it does smell like toxic ****! In the five generations I've been driving MT rides I only had one clutch chatter. The cause was a dried out throw out bearing which I finally replace in my '65 GTO's 4 speed trans. It is possible to own/drive fun fast rides without chatter and rattles...if you're cool! Why would anyone drive a damn Ford regardless of how much they screw it up?
Gary