Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Front differential shot @ 138k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front differential shot @ 138k

$1100 for local mechanic in Denver to replace front differential with a used unit. About 1.5 days shop time and $300ish for the parts.

Started making a low drone sound that over about 2 weeks turned into a rhythmic hum about like sitting behind the engines on a passenger jet. Checked tires, wheel bearings etc before taking it in. Vehicle has always had service on time.

Do repair costs and age of wear seem reasonable?

Old 01-07-2017, 10:22 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Since no one's responded I will. I don't hear of diffs either front or rear usually having issues at your mileage if they're maintained regularly. However, it's not out of the question that it is starting to fail. The parts cost is reasonable but not agreeing with the labor component. When you say 1.5 days shop time did you mean hours? $800 (deducting the parts cost from the total quote) just for labor is a total crock of you know what. Even if it took them 3 hours, which seems more than necessary anyway, and their labor charge is $125/hr. that's not even $400. Also could you verify the quality/previous life of the used part? I bought a rear diff used on Driver years ago and shipped from California to Texas it was $225 total and I knew how many miles were on it and how well it had been maintained. Buying something like this sight unseen with no other information provided always makes me leery with mechanical parts.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:06 AM
This is a front diff on an AWD G35x. Dealer quoted over $2k.

Parts availability was super difficult. We got a unit locally for $200 from a salvage yard in good condition 80k miles and 6 month parts Warranty.

I really couldn't find much in the way of how to videos etc and it's just a step beyond what I'm comfortable with in terms of repair. Overall vehicle is in very good condition and this is the first serious repair outside of shocks/brakes etc. Paid $13,800 for it 8 years ago with 42k miles so it's a win either way. In the early queue for a Tesla Model 3 so only planning to own another year or so at most but would like to sell in good mechanical condition.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:52 PM

I understand it's a front. The labor shouldn't be much different though to replace it vs. a rear diff. I still don't get the 1.5 days labor or the $800 charge unless you have to drop the steering rack etc. to change the diff which I don't think you do.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:30 PM
I'll ask when I get in. Half the shop time was getting the part, it's now 5 days because the snow storm shut everything down hopefully pickup tomorrow. I will ask about the repair and what it required, I could not find any walkthroughs on it. Signed a lease today on 2017 Q50 3.0t premium for $309/mo with only first month up front so I'm staying with an infiniti but the g35 is going up for sale.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:27 AM

Cool beans, enjoy the new ride and hope you get good $$ for the G.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.