Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch Replacement - Need to drain trans fluid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 12:43 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Clutch Replacement - Need to drain trans fluid?

Probably a dumb question, but will I need to drain trans fluid to remove the transmission? Last 2 Nissan clutches I've replaced required draining the fluid because it would pour out anyway when you remove the driveshaft (240SX), or front axles (G20t) if FWD. However I've seen that new CD00A transmission come pre-filled with gear oil. I just replaced the trans fluid last summer, so it's not really due, just wondering if I can get away without draining it out. Basically would save myself $50 and a week of waiting for new fluids to get shipped out.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Old 01-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Step 1. Acquire oil pan
Step 2. Fill oil pan
Step 3. Pour oil pan contents back into transmission.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Step 1. Acquire oil pan
Step 2. Fill oil pan
Step 3. Pour oil pan contents back into transmission.

According to the FSM

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu...6_G35_Sedan/mt

MT-2
PRECAUTIONS
Revision: 2006 August
2006 G35 Sedan
PRECAUTIONS
PFP:00001
Service Notice or Precautions
NCS000K8

Do not reuse transmission oil, once it has been drained.

Check oil level or replace oil with vehicle on level ground.

During removal or installation, keep inside of transmission clear of dust or dirt.

Check for the correct installation status prior to removal or disassembly. If matching marks are required,
be certain they do not interfere with the function of the parts they are applied to.

In principle, tighten bolts or nuts gradually in several steps working diagonally from inside to outside. If
tightening sequence is specified, observe it.

Be careful not to damage sliding surfaces and mating surfaces.

Do not hold control lever housing to prevent bushing of control lever housing from deformation when mov-
ing transmission assembly

DRAINING
1. Start the engine and warm up the transmission unit sufficiently.
2. After stopping engine, remove filler plug and drain plug to drain oil.
3. Replace gasket on drain plug with new one. Screw drain plug into transmission case, and tighten to the
specified torque. Refer to
MT-21, "
COMPONENTS
"
CAUTION:
Do not reuse gasket.

Telcoman

Old 01-25-2017, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Ya got me ^ but it's really not a problem. Take apart the components and see what damage is if you re used the fluid. It goes in where it already flows, comes out from a pan.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Ya got me ^ but it's really not a problem. Take apart the components and see what damage is if you re used the fluid. It goes in where it already flows, comes out from a pan.
No not really!
Just trying to point the op to the FSM and he can make his own decision whether to follow it's detailed instructions or to ignore them.
Yes there is satisfaction on a DY project but with the amount of labor involved why take shortcuts? Follow the FSM.
There are reasons why the reuse of transmission oil and seals is not recommended and the savings of reuse are minimal compared to unforeseen results of possibly having to do the job over a second time.

Telcoman

Old 01-26-2017, 12:55 PM
Premier Member

Looks like I'll just order up some more fluid and drain old out when dropping the trans. After talking over with a few people with first hand experience, some fluid may drain out of the driveshaft opening if the trans gets tilted backwards during removal/install. So it's better to just drain it out to avoid the mess. Also don't need to remove the cats per the FSM, although it does give a little more "elbow room". I'm guessing "new" transmissions come with a cap on the rear that gets removed after it's installed.

There's a difference between shortcuts and tips & tricks to make things easier in my mind.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Fair point. You can't go wrong with the FSM.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Premier Member

Just to follow up on this in case someone else stumbles across this thread: Replace my clutch over the weekend. Did it on a lift with a transmission jack at my local military base Auto Skills shop. I did not drain the fluid before we got started and only a little bit splashed out the back when it got off balance and tilted back. After everything was done, I topped off trans fluid, it took less than half a qt.

I should point out the FSM didn't really mention draining the fluid as part of the remove steps either. Completely different than my 240SX where the fluid comes pouring out the driveshaft opening if you didn't drain it first.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Neat. Save lots of money not changing the fluids.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:47 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Glad it worked out for you, great job!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.