DIY: High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone had an issue with this? Back in college a buddy of mine got a used black 04g35 with about 30k miles on it, i remember the clutch on it felt almost half as short as my 03g35. A few months later the clutch went out. Don't know if this has anything to do with this but just my .02

Old 04-07-2008, 05:05 PM
good quick DIY info. I just let my buddy drive my G for the first time and he mentioned how high the release point is. Hope it doesn't wear the clutch too fast.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:22 PM
lol damnit i tried to do this but the bolt was too stubborn! I think i rounded out one end now i cant do it!

Old 04-14-2008, 01:54 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
its really easy

when laying on your side or back to loosen the bolt.

remember this, upward motion- tighten up. To make loose- loosen down. Move the aduster up to shorten the lenght of the pedal.

the only problem im getting with this is in traffic my pedal will stay to the floor almost, like there is no pressure to bring the pedal back up then when the roads open up, my clutch pedal comes back to life after awhile.

i adjusted it 1.5 turns and it does this.

now im back at 1.25 turns and it doesnt do it how wierd.

Last edited by LightsOut; 03-27-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:43 PM
just wanted t tell everyone that I did this to my g,and I loved it. BUT my clutch has started to slip a little after about 4k with this mod. could just be that time formy clutch (44k miles) but just wanted to let everyone know so they can take it into consideration. btw I dont think I will run this mod when I put the new clutch in

Old 05-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Hi Everyone,
Allow me to share my experience with this easy, minor, clutch deadly mod...

Here we go,
I got my DG, 06 Gcoupe with 23k miles at Mission Viejo, CA dealer for a very awesome deal. I commute about 70 to 100 miles a day depends if I have school that day. I love this car so much that I started to perform these minor maintanence myself 2 weeks after I bought this car with 24k miles: Mobile 1 motor oil change, Redline MT90 Tranny oil, Amsoil Differential oil changed. The car ran very smooth and less notchy after I replaced all these oil. My next step was to lower the engagment pt with this mod. I lowered the engagment point to half way and adjusted the switch also. 1 week later, I started to feel the G clutch was very stiff and there was a squeky spring noise coming from the clutch pedal when I slowly step on the clutch pedal and release the clutch pedal. I can also feel the clutch pedal was very squeky and the clutch started to slip and not catch the flywheel as good as before from Neutral to 1st gear(no matter how slow I release the clutch pedal, I have to step on the gas pedal a lot just so the rpm won't drop to 0 and stall my engine). I also noticed the shift travel from the shift **** got shorter distance and notchier to go into gear. At this point, I higher up the engagment point just a little to feel the clutch difference(about 2/3 if I have to Quantify the clutch engagment point changes). The result was that I got less stiff clutch and less noisy clutch pedal but it still exist. Then I just set the clutch pedal and its switch back to stock height, the stiffness of the clutch is better and the squeky noise still comes once in a while but still exist(temperature dependent). I probably permanately damaged my released bearing and some other clutch components such as the release spring because I adjusted the pedal height half way. Overall, this is a very dangerous mod and I definitely would not recommended. After all, I am just an Applications Engineer who works in Irvine and go to school part time for my Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering and not an Automotive Engineer. So, whether you believe me or not, it is best not to perform this mod at all! There's no return unless you replace your clutch and all other clutch components!

Take care and Drive like a G aggressor!

Last edited by jaswong00; 05-05-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:15 PM
SIETESG

so far on my udate my clutch feels fine, no grinding in gears everything feels just right. my car is on its orginal clutch with 60k miles and nothing bad yet.

i added some sprayed grease into the clutch spring and it feels much smoother now, before when it would get hot my clutch pedal will stay to the floor, but now giving it some grease it works great.

Last edited by LightsOut; 05-06-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Ok, to the OP... 3-4 turns brings the adjustable rod to the last thread or 2 on the screw. I tried this, pulled out of the parking lot and turned around to adjust it back RIGHT AWAY. The clutch would not fully disengage and it was going to burn it up real fast, I could feel it. I saw someone else post 1-1/4 turn, so I adjusted it to this and I like it. The clutch still works as it should and it engages a bit earlier. I would recommend 1 and 1/4 turns.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:08 PM
SIETESG

thats what i did 1.25 turn feels perfect and dont have to worry about clutch failure

Old 05-12-2008, 11:26 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
^ Yeah, I agree with LightsOut
I did a 2.5 turn and my cruise control went out, as the clutch, while not engaged, would not touch the cruise control button (which it should).

So, I brought the clutch back up a little bit, and now its on a 1.5 turn. That feels fine and my cruise control works without me having to tinker with it.

ONLY problem I have is that sometimes, especially if I'm wearing slippers, my clutch does not come back up all the way immediately, after releasing it. It stops at a certain point and then after 5-10 secs it pops back up where its supposed to be. Weird. Maybe the clutch spring needs some greasing.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:29 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by LightsOut
i added some sprayed grease into the clutch spring and it feels much smoother now, before when it would get hot my clutch pedal will stay to the floor, but now giving it some grease it works great.
What sprayed grease did you apply?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:24 AM
SIETESG

its called chain wax i used it for my motorcycle at the time. you could find it at motorcycle shops for about 10 bucks. it will require a coffee straw to spray directly to the spring. its much easier that way

i even used it on my metal security gate now it glides like if its on ice

Last edited by LightsOut; 05-13-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Just did this last night....1-1/8 to about 1-1/4 turns....feels great!

Old 06-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just adjusted the pedal and the cruise control, works great, feels 1000X's better

Old 08-27-2008, 01:19 PM
I just performed this mod yesterday. I hated the stock clutch height and wanted to do something about it. The way that I checked the height on mine was to start the car and press the clutch down by hand. The listen carefully as I slowly raised the clutch back up. When I hear the grinding noise that is common with these cars (flywheel rattle or something) then I know where the clutch is starting to engage. This kinda gives me an idea of how much "slack" I can take out of the pedal. So now I have it adjusted to when the pedal is about 1.50" off the floor the clutch starts to engage. Also I adjusted the cruise control switch. Now the clutch feels so much better and the trans still goes into gear fine, its just as notchy as its always been.

On a side note the only problem that I have now is that when I get in the car and everything is cooled down the pedal is closer to the floor, kinda like its stuck. The pedal will eventually stay up as the car gets warmer though.

I will give some updates on it if anything happens.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?