DIY: Clutch Pedal Remedy

Old 07-22-2007, 04:55 AM
ON
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
DIY: Clutch Pedal Remedy

In response to the thread on the D-Wolf Clutch "Kit" that just came out (https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...163723&page=5), I decided to post a DIY on how to fix this clutch issue that is common in the G's and Z's. I felt that the creator of this "kit" is just trying to make money off of us members here on the forums rather than help us out. Why do I think that? Because they come up with their clutch "kit" and do not want to share with anyone on how it works. I purchased this "kit" myself and in part of the instruction it states that even though i had purchased this kit, it does not give me the right to post pictures of the "kit" and the instructions online for others to see, blah blah blah...

I would not even call this piece of plastic with double sided tape on it, that they are selling, a "kit",...its more like a "fix" is what i think of it. That just sickens me that they would rather make money off of people rather than post a simple DIY on how to remedy the problem that G and Z owner have with the transmission engaging when the clutch is halfway depressed.

Enough of my ranting...

Here are the steps to help resolve the halfway engaging clutch issue:

Before you start...if you had adjusted your clutch pedal before, you must set your clutch pedal back to the original position for this mod to work.

1) Go to Home Depot and buy 29mm "nail-on glides". They come in a pack of four for $2.01 (that's including tax). then buy some double sided tape mounting tape (I had bought mine a while ago, so i don't remember the price, shouldn't be more than $5). Here is what they look like.

Name:  DSC00098.jpg
Views: 2350
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  DSC00099.jpg
Views: 2334
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  DSC00101.jpg
Views: 2330
Size:  134.1 KB

Name:  DSC00111.jpg
Views: 2346
Size:  53.7 KB

2) Separate the black and white plastic pieces and bend/cut the nail off.

Name:  DSC00104.jpg
Views: 2298
Size:  142.3 KB

Name:  DSC00108.jpg
Views: 2266
Size:  71.7 KB

3) Use 1 strip of double sided tape to put the black and white pieces together and then put two strips of double side tape on the end of the black piece (the reason is because it need to be a certain thickness for the transmission to engage when you release the clutch pedal. 2 strips of tape might not do the trick because the tape compresses when you push down on it, so you might want to use 3...but try 2 strips first.)

Name:  DSC00123.jpg
Views: 2286
Size:  43.4 KB

4) Next, take another white plastic piece and put 1 strip of double sided tape on it.

Name:  DSC00129.jpg
Views: 2307
Size:  41.0 KB

5) Then, once you have those assembled, attach the black and white piece from step 3 and place it in the area of the green oval as shown in the picture.

Name:  DSC00132b.jpg
Views: 2389
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  DSC00137.jpg
Views: 2334
Size:  51.0 KB

6) Then attach the white plastic piece to the area in the red circle.

Name:  DSC00132c.jpg
Views: 2550
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  DSC00138.jpg
Views: 3006
Size:  57.3 KB

The blue piece on the clutch pedal should hit the black and white plastic and the single white plastic piece should press the switch.

Name:  DSC00132a.jpg
Views: 2400
Size:  63.9 KB

There are other way of making this. I just made this piece really quick and tested it out. It works just as good as the D-Wolf clutch "kit". But is has a softer feeling compared to the D-Wolf "kit" due to the compression 3 layers of double sided tape. If you want a more firmer feel, rather than taping the black and white pieces together, GLUE two white pieces together (use super glue or something similar) and then use a strip of double sided tape to mount onto the vehicle. leave the single white piece that touches the kill switch as is.

Good luck for those that do this mod. You will notice a better feel when you push and release your clutch pedal because you don't have to push the pedal all the way down and release it halfway before your car starts to move. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

EDIT:

Another idea is to use coins...i got it from Blasian from my350Z in this post.

http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278666&page=7

u can use pennies, nickels, dimes or quarter. Make the big piece about 7 nickels thick and the smaller piece about 3 nickels thick. Just glue them together. and then use double-sided tape to attach to the vehicle. attach more coins if you feel that still does not feel like it catches where you want it to.

Caution

Do not make these pieces too thick otherwise your clutch might not fully disengage. You should be fine with 7 nickels for the big piece and 3 for the smaller piece.

EDIT:Coin method confirmed to work by member Xuperxero (post #25)

Last edited by ON; 07-24-2007 at 03:35 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by ON:
curin323 (06-13-2011), jgitt (04-25-2012), JMLM13 (11-29-2015), killbill_vol1 (06-04-2017), MrTiToG35 (01-01-2012), yosip1115 (04-09-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-22-2007, 05:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your are one bad dude !! I would like to be the first to say ,"Thank You Brother "!!!!!!

Old 07-22-2007, 05:41 AM
ON
Originally Posted by SILVERSURFERG35
Your are one bad dude !! I would like to be the first to say ,"Thank You Brother "!!!!!!
that was a quick response.

thanks. I really appreciate it.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:51 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
that is what I was waiting for so stupid that they were trying to butt rape everyone for a 5 dollar fix

Old 07-22-2007, 05:56 AM
J-Dizzle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Old 07-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Yume, you are the man, this is the purpose of forums to help other enthusiats out. To all the conceited people that think we drive High End Sports cars and $45 is not a lot of money at all, eat this. I'm going to try this today.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:24 AM
But I haven’t received my Invoice yet!

Old 07-22-2007, 10:25 AM
G35driver Addict
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thank you.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks yume, i knew someone would eventually get p*ssed at the "Dwolf clutch kit". It's just stupid to say/question people's integrity about posting what the kit consist of.

What's even more irritating is that a moderator was supporting all this instead of helping the G and Z community. It's like trying to make money off the "spring mount lowering mod", or something of that nature.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Yume
If you want a more firmer feel, rather than taping the black and white pieces together, GLUE two white pieces together (use super glue or something similar) and then use a strip of double sided tape to mount onto the vehicle. leave the single white piece that touches the kill switch as is.

did you mean glue the black and white piece together or two white pieces together, just making sure.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by acside
did you mean glue the black and white piece together or two white pieces together, just making sure.
never mind i just tried it with 2 white pieces, this thing is great. Thanks for the DIY

Old 07-22-2007, 03:38 PM
ON
Thanks for all the support guys. I really am glad to see that i'm not the only that feels the way i do on this matter.

Acside, i'm glad you like this mod, and I am also glad that i was able to help you save $45 as well.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Yume, so you already new how to cure the high clutch release? That is what the fees were for. It's one thing to say, "You could buy the D-wolf kit for $45 or you could get similar, not identicle, results by doing the following... for ~$6 and more time". And another thing to say, "The guy is ripping all of members off! Do this instead. " I'm not saying that what you did is wrong, but how you are presenting it is. If the solution was so easy, why didn't you create it? He had an idea, created the solution and sold it. Wow! Capitalism at work.

There are many items we all could simply copy or get for free, but the solution would have never been created. Again, I'm not saying what you did is wrong, but atleast give him credit for solving the issue and finding a solution that you then copied and bashed him for.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:33 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I guess most of the people on this site that support him do not under stand the point of this forum. This is where enthusis of the g35 come for help, advice, tips, tricks and what not. This so called kit was doomed from the start with all this secret talk and no pics bs. That was the reason because if anyone knew what they were selling then it would have never sold. i am all for if someone has a good idea that they should be credited. But to take advantage of your fellow forum members not cool

Old 07-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Not neccessarily true. The alternative may or may not have the same reduction in travel. If it reduces it too much, the engagement could be effected. If the second stop is not properly mated to the primary than the switch could be damaged. It is a very simple fix that can be copied, but that is not the point. The point is that Yume could have presented his copy in a more respectful manner. There are many things that could be copied. Some people prefer to have a "kit" or ready made product. Some prefer to make a home depot special. Pay $45 and in just 60 seconds the issue is resolved. Or spend ~ $6 and ~ an hour (driving time, buying time, driving time, assembly...) for a similar solution.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clutch Pedal Remedy