DIY: 5AT tiptronic change of direction

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
DIY: 5AT tiptronic change of direction

i came across this thread a while ago: https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-diy/122292-5at-shifter-direction-mod.html

and it gave me the urge to have a turn myself. unfortunately getting to the said plug and changing the pins isn't exactly straightforward..

so i decided on something a little easier with the same result.

just to remind everyone, this will make it:
PULL BACK = next gear
PUSH FORWARD = previous gear

and the best part?
takes 15mins or less, uses $2 worth of connectors, and is totally reversible in a matter of seconds!

tools needed:
- side cutters
- plyers
- 2*blade connectors - female
- 2*blade connectors - male
- electrical tape

time needed:
15mins

picture 1:
pull the centre part of your dash off using info on these forums
you will see a few wires which run around behind the gear selector and these are involved in the tiptronic switching
locate the 2 wires which send the signal back to the ECU when the gear has been manually chagned
the colours you are looking for are DARK GREEN and LIGHT GREY
note that there is also a light green wire so don't get confused

picture 2:
cut these 2 wires and strip all 4 free ends

picture 3:
attach the male and female ends of the blade connectors using the pliers to hold the wires in place. you could probablhy solder them if you could be bothered

picture 4:
connect the wires
the key here is that you want to swap the wires around so that the grey is now connecting with the green for both wires
note that as you have used blade connectors, it is very easy to simply pull out the connector and put the configuration back to normal if you ever want to!

picture 5:
usign electrical tape, cover the exposed metal of the connectors and put the wires back into their normal position.
you can hardly notice that anything is done!
put your trim back in place

test drive:
amazing, simply amazing. its stuipd that it wasn't this way to start with.

summary:
this is a DIY that costs the price of a box of connectors and takes about 15mins to do. not only that, but it is completely reversible in the event that you change your mind!

i'm going to get some custom stickers made up that have a " + " and " - " sign on them for completeness. they will be black like the P-R-N-D indicator on the other side of the shifter

enjoy!

cheers,
Warren

Attached Thumbnails DIY: 5AT tiptronic change of direction-tiptronic1.jpg   DIY: 5AT tiptronic change of direction-tiptronic3.jpg   DIY: 5AT tiptronic change of direction-tiptronic4.jpg   DIY: 5AT tiptronic change of direction-tiptronic5.jpg   DIY: 5AT tiptronic change of direction-tiptronic6.jpg  

Last edited by Waz350GT; 04-16-2008 at 04:02 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Waz350GT:
Blue Dream (10-21-2017), dsr30 (11-25-2014), HYPHYGEE (04-07-2013), Urbanengineer (10-12-2017)
Old 04-16-2008, 02:47 AM
note that i am in australia, and this was done on a ***-spec 2003 V35 350GT

thus, the setup might be all in reverse. nevertheless, thewire colours are exactly the same and setup is exactly the same

Old 04-16-2008, 02:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nice. if i had an automatic, this is one of the first things i would have done!

Old 04-16-2008, 02:58 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
wow if this works! awesome! i gotta take my whole cluster apart to repaint it anyway, i'll be doing this for sure.... thanks a lot mate!

Old 04-16-2008, 03:58 AM
i can 100% guarantee it works

the best thing is that the wires are so easy to access, all it requires is taking one piece of trim off and there are no screws or anything required to do that..

and, if you decide you don't like it (eg you are retarded) then you can simply swap the connctors back around and its normal again!

Old 04-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
QUICK SOMEONE STICKY THIS!!

lol, now I can drive my car just like I do in the video games!! down for upshift, and up for downshift!

thanks again this is very simple to do

Old 04-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HAHA just dont forget which mode you are in .. downshifting from 6000RPM can be bad

Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Wow thanks for the info doing it the other way I was sure I would break something, although I probably wouldn't have, so I quit as soon as I got the connector apart. Thanks for this DIY I'm doin this as soon as I'm home tonight. Mods might wanna sticky this.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Wow, good post. Yeah, MODs, stick this!

Old 04-17-2008, 02:44 AM
not sure about the G35, but on the V35 it won't let you do a wrong shift anyway

ie, if you are at 6000rpm in 2nd and press the shifter the wrong way it won't change back to first, it will just stay in 2nd

also, do any G35's have the "throttle blipping" when you shift down?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Waz350GT
not sure about the G35, but on the V35 it won't let you do a wrong shift anyway

ie, if you are at 6000rpm in 2nd and press the shifter the wrong way it won't change back to first, it will just stay in 2nd

also, do any G35's have the "throttle blipping" when you shift down?
same thing with the g35

Old 04-24-2008, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow this is awesome, ive been accedently going in the wrong direction when in tiptronic occasonaly ad it ****'s me off. thanks alot for the write up, seems pretty darn easy also.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:20 PM
well i finaly got around to doing this, easiest thing ive ever done. hardest part was finding the connectors(to do it right) laying around my house. took me 10 minutes in all including finding the connectors and figuring out how to get to where the wires were(really easy once i figured it out). very satisfied with this and my brain is already programed for the back is up forward is down type of drive from vid games anyway, just makes things alot easier. thanks for the write up!

Old 04-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Its funny, after reading this I realized that my wifes Mazda 6 it this way, so I think it would benefit me greatly to do this switch as my brain is also already programed this way. Silly me I always thought up was up and down was down.. now why would that make sense?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by KFXSinner
Its funny, after reading this I realized that my wifes Mazda 6 it this way, so I think it would benefit me greatly to do this switch as my brain is also already programed this way. Silly me I always thought up was up and down was down.. now why would that make sense?

well i think it feels much more natural than up is up and down is down, when you press back for up shift, the car's torque pulls it back and makes it feel more natural for me atleast and when you downshift, the car shifts forward(usualy downshift while braking.) i think this is much more benifitial for me. it has been very fun and more natural feeling(dont even have to think about it) almost feels like im driving my manual again....kinda sorta...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: 5AT tiptronic change of direction