DIY: Airbox mod - Cool Air Injector (anti-56k)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:49 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
CAI don't do squat. This is just a way of redirecting cold air without having to go with a long-ram intake setup.

IMO, its a great approach.

+1

I did something very similar when I had my G35, but I used a larger pipe, that could bend so it fin in very nice.

I obv couldnt feel any gains from this, but then I touched the air box it seemed to be cooler than it was before adding the pipe from the bumper duct.

If you want it to have a more finished look, paint the pipes black.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Did you really just say that

yes, I did...

on the ground, you push yourself forward...
on a treadmill, a big machine pushes for you, and you simply bound to keep up... understand?

The following users liked this post:
rcaton1 (07-29-2012)
Old 11-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UR2EZ
yes, I did...

on a treadmill, a big machine pushes for you, and you simply bound to keep up... understand?
So you're saying there should be some sort of treadmill in the engine bay.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:50 AM
precisely, preferably powered by some sort of small animal, possibly a mouse. for each additional one of these you will accquire +1 rwMp..... mind you this is JUST an experiment

Old 11-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
It's not colder air, no matter how much these guys want to convince themselves that it is.
As long as the air is coming from outside of the engine bay, the temp really doesn't matter... you guys ever pop your hood and feel how hot that engine bay is?

Old 11-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
While I appreciate the effort a custom 3.5" intake can be made with polished aluminum pipes, AAM throttle body spacer for vacuum ports, a 3.5" MAF from a Q45 and an adapter and silicone couplers. I'm already building one but it's on hold for now.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
As long as the air is coming from outside of the engine bay, the temp really doesn't matter... you guys ever pop your hood and feel how hot that engine bay is?
first off... I made it quite clear in this post:
air temps 1-2 feet above the ground is actually hotter than it is from 2 feet and above (as measured by DaveO and myself a couple years ago) - black asphalt absorbs heat and continuously is radiating hotter than the ambient air up higher. This isn’t to say its hotter than what the OEM opening is sucking up (I'm not sure how hot it gets down there - but I'm pretty sure its cooler than upper engine compartment).
So, even though it seems like stuffing a tube (whether long ram or a mod like this) is drawing in cold air, it's actually drawing in much hotter air than is being drawn in from the upper intake (through the grille). Which is why a short ram intake being used with the OEM snorkel is actually more of a "cold air" intake than a long ram intake shoved down low (typically called "CAI").
Think about it... #1, hot air rises - #2, this hole is below the headers... just those 2 things combined means the air down there isn’t anywhere near as hot as it is above where you "feel" the heat when you open your hood...

I'm not telling anyone what to do or what not to do - why would I care?... I'm simply stating that calling it "cold air" isn’t always exactly cold.

Also, what makes anyone so certain the hole down there isn’t to help draw a vacuum to help accelerate the ram air through the OEM designed intake?

Again, do what you want; I'm just giving a perspective that may or may not be advantageous to consider. But have at it… I’ll be anxious to see how much faster it makes your car.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if there is NO measurable gain on the butt-dyno, the OP did this himself and I think it is something he should be proud of completing.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
yes, I did...

NO!!!!!!
On a treadmill, it pushes you backward, you push against if forward to counteract its force applied to you. The only difference would be the lack of air resistance you would have to overcome. What do you think would happen if the treadmill suddenly stopped as your foot was pushing off the ground You would run into the front of the treadmill. Try "running in place" on a treadmill and see if you don't go flying off the back

Old 11-03-2008, 01:37 PM
A treadmill is primarily for cardio anyway – so the garble about it in this thread is absolutely pointless… the original mention of it has nothing to do with dynos as it referenced… but I’m finding that common sense doesn’t really prevail in this particular thread – so I guess anything makes sense to some people.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Also, what makes anyone so certain the hole down there isn’t to help draw a vacuum to help accelerate the ram air through the OEM designed intake?
If the hole right there is for vacuum, there wouldn't be a resonator connected there...

Old 11-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
If the hole right there is for vacuum, there wouldn't be a resonator connected there...
mine has been off for so long (basically within months after owning) that I'm not even sure how the OEM designs works/looks anymore... If there is a resonator, then just about anything is of better use. Worth drawing in ground air? not for me, but as I've said before, have at it.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
NO!!!!!!
On a treadmill, it pushes you backward, you push against if forward to counteract its force applied to you. The only difference would be the lack of air resistance you would have to overcome. What do you think would happen if the treadmill suddenly stopped as your foot was pushing off the ground You would run into the front of the treadmill. Try "running in place" on a treadmill and see if you don't go flying off the back
try doing some research before yelling NO!!! you're like just about every Obama supporter i've run into.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/treadmill.html

When an athlete runs on the track, on roads or on firm ground, their legs create propulsive forces which accelerate their centre of mass and drive it forward. The athlete's centre of mass is decelerated during each recovery (early-stance) phase of the gait cycle, only to be accelerated forwards again as propulsive forces are created by the stance leg. As they continue to run, centre of mass is accelerated and decelerated over and over again as it moves steadily forwards.

When the same athlete runs on a treadmill, centre of mass is static (at least in the forwards-backwards plane). There is no forward progress; instead, the running surface 'disappears' behind the athlete. In fact, the treadmill belt moves the athlete's legs and feet under and behind her centre of mass and, to preserve stability, their key task is to move the support leg back in front of the centre of mass in time for the impact with the treadmill belt. The key function of the leg muscles during treadmill running is not to produce propulsive forces but to re-position the legs so as to keep the centre of mass stable.

Because of these major and fundamental differences, some experts have argued that treadmill training is unspecific to 'real running' and should be avoided by athletes who want to improve their running abilities on the ground. The neuromuscular patterns involved in treadmill running are so different from road, track or cross-country running, they argue, that improvements in economy and efficiency are not possible. Some go so far as to contend that treadmill training may actually impair running economy on regular surfaces.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:42 PM
A treadmill is primarily for cardio anyway – so the garble about it in this thread is absolutely pointless… the original mention of it has nothing to do with dynos as it referenced… but I’m finding that common sense doesn’t really prevail in this particular thread – so I guess anything makes sense to some people.
^ you're the perfect example

Old 11-04-2008, 12:03 AM
^ you're the perfect example
You’re right... I don't know much about performance gains on these cars... I haven’t done any testing, research or know too many people that have done that either... not to mention, I don’t have any mods that work.

I should just stick to treadmill topics and figuring out how to make something useless out of a part of the car that I’m fascinated by - because it is cool to be like everyone in here that has all the answers summed up.

Sorry I posted an alternate perspective... trust me I wont bother to do anything like that for a thread like this again.

Good luck with the mod, I hope you all run fast ET and laps at the track.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Airbox mod - Cool Air Injector (anti-56k)