DIY: Manual Tranny and Diff Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DIY: Manual Tranny and Diff Fluid Change

Redline , Amsoil , Royal Purple, all meet or exceed GL-4 and the white metal requirements. Sorry , but if anyone had there warranties voided because for this "reason" they were taken for a ride by their dealer. They should have stood their ground, because there is no basis.

Old 10-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard if you change the Tranny and Diff oil and expierence problems it will not be covered under warrenty.

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 10-07-2004, 01:34 PM

A dealer may attempt not to cover your tranny or diff under warranty but it doesn't mean they are right. If you change it correctly and with the accepted fluid then they should still cover it under warranty no problem. Now if you did the job like a nozzle and didn't fill the fluid to the specified level or used the wrong fluid type then that's your problem. So just because a dealer doesn't want to cover under warranty doesn't necessarily mean they can.

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium
Z-Tube / NFC Y-Pipe / Custom Mid-Pipe / 350 EVO Rear Sway/ '03 350Z Shocks and Springs

Old 03-20-2008, 02:43 AM
doing this tomorrow

Old 04-01-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm guessing the pics have been removed from the server. Anyway to get them back up?

Old 04-14-2008, 11:22 AM
A quick question. How long can synthetic gear oils like Royal Purple, Amsoil or Redline run before needing replacing? I don't track my car, its simply a daily driver.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:41 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by donricouga
A quick question. How long can synthetic gear oils like Royal Purple, Amsoil or Redline run before needing replacing? I don't track my car, its simply a daily driver.
Motor oil - 5,000-7,500 miles, then have it checked (companies like AMSoil has test kits you can buy for $10 that allow you to test the oil to see if it's still good.) I change the AMSoil in my motor every 10,000 miles

Tranny oil - 50,000 miles

Diff oil - 50,000-75,000 miles

Old 04-24-2008, 04:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering when I should change out the tranny fluid and diff fluid.. car is a 6mt with 60k miles. I just got the car last month and I assume that it has never been changed. Thanks!!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:54 AM
30k to 50k is the usual. I think Infiniti recco's 30k. I did mine at 40k and the fluid was still pretty clear.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:23 PM
I did mine 2 weeks ago with 24k miles on it. Man, redline shifts a lot smoother than stock tranny oil. I used the MT-90. The stock tranny oil looks very clear to me. When I replaced the rear differential oil, there was so many metal paste in the drain plug! I put in Amsoil gear lube for the rear differential oil.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm going to be doing my tranny/rear-end fluid in the next week or so ( hense me looking into this thread to check to see if I needed any special tools, notes ). My car has 60K on it, and I just got it like two weeks ago, and I assume like most drivers, they never changed the stock fluid ( although mine was owened by a doctor, so maybe it was serviced by the dealer, but I still doubt it was ever changed ).

Anyway, I'm going with royal purple in the trans due to my prevous experence with it. Some people know, some people don't, but SRT4s sometimes have tranny issues. Its almost NEVER an issue of handing the power, its mostly synco related ( odd enough, the 05's were the worst ). My SRT4 made some pretty good power. It saw over 150 drag strip passes on slicks, and it was street raced prob. 3/4 weekends per month. Every 2nd oil change ( basiclly every 6-8K miles ) I changed the tranny fluid with royal purple "syncromax". Everytime I'd change the tranny fluid, I was amazed at how much smoother it was. The car was under extreme conditions ( nothing like my G35 will see, other than a bit of road coursing ), and I NEVER HAD A SINGLE ISSUE from the trans. The car was raced for about 4 years when I put it back to stock and traded it in on my G, and it still had the OEM stock trans in it. The car ran 11.96@114mph off the bottle ( had 100shot on it for 3 years also ). While other SRT4 guys were worring about possible trans replacement or how to get it warrentied, I just kept racing...

So that's my experence. And why I'll be using royal purple syncromax in my G35 also. Take it for what its worth, I have no "brand loyaly" to royal purple ( I don't use there motor oil ).

I also plan on using their gear lube b/c that's what all the jeep guys use in there extreme duty $5K axles ( and stock ones as well ).

And thanx's for the "how-to" even is the pics are missing ( I just wanted to make sure I didn't need some type of nissan wrench or something odd ).

Last edited by sourskittle; 06-12-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by yogi41
I was wondering when I should change out the tranny fluid and diff fluid.. car is a 6mt with 60k miles. I just got the car last month and I assume that it has never been changed. Thanks!!
Do not wait that long to change the diff fluid. I did mine at 5k miles and it was nasty grey/black. The magnet had a half inch of filings. Nissan should make a diff change mandatory very early in the service life. I did it again at 15k miles and it nearly perfect. Get that first change done if it's not been done before.

I changed out my trans fluid at about 8k miles and it looked perfect.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Both my fluids looke great, but the rear still had the meta paste on it. More than likely its never been changed, but I think the car was just babed.... Hope it didn't get too used to it, haha.

So the factory fill tranny/gear fluid isn't syntetic ? Seems to me that would just be extra insurence to not have to warrenty as many things...

Old 07-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I changed my differential fluid tonight. I used Amsoil 75w90 gear oil. I was surprised (well, not really) at how much pasty crap was on the drain plug. I would suggest changing your differential fluid if you are over 20k miles. My car is a 2006 6MT with RAS, here goes:

Car jacked up, PB Blaster on exhaust pipe. Both drain plugs are removed. REMOVE THE FILL PLUG FIRST!!!! If for some reason you remove the drain plug and can't get the fill plug out you are hosed. Dirty Hotchkis sways installed. The OEM exhaust won't be on there too much longer....waiting for my Motordyne TDX to come in

The Amsoil 75w90 with fill pump

Make sure you put the attachment tube on the bottom of the pump assembly or else you will only be able to pump the top half of the quart.

Kind of a bad pic but I used an old stainless steel cooking pan to catch my drain fluid. It was about to get thrown away anyway.

Here's the old compared to the new. Remember, I only have 21k miles on my car!

I wish I would have taken a pic of the drain plug but I was shocked how bad it was and I immediately wiped it off! After I did it I was like "crap, I should have taken a pic"....o well.

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, my kids are about to go to bed. I'll post results tomorrow.

Last edited by twin001; 07-23-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:07 AM
I need to change my Diff fluid but dont know what would be better Royal purple 75w90 or amsoil 75w90 or is it the same?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Manual Tranny and Diff Fluid Change