Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)
View Poll Results: Year/Model of your G having EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION
2003 5AT
9.51%
2003 6MT
10.63%
2004 5AT
6.71%
2004 6MT
11.61%
2005 5AT
7.69%
2005 6MT
24.06%
2006 5AT
3.36%
2006 6MT
20.98%
2007 5AT
1.82%
2007 6MT
3.64%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GReddySetGO
Wow, I don't know why you take every post I make as a direct offensive remark to you...
I didn't do that at all...perhaps you shouldn't assume that, just because somebody has a different opinion, that they are being defensive.

I am extremely concerned, as I stated, about this issue. I have also been VERY active in troubleshooting and gathering data for ultimate resolve of this issue.

Any and ALL data is usefull...perhaps not to you, but ultimately, the pole itself, is the data you need for your research level on this. The open thread and discussion is what will serve the community at large...so let it be productive.

I do understand that a thread going awry is a pain in the ****..I do, trust me, but this is not the case here.

The thread is based on a poll, that will have a follow-up poll with more info and details. The discussion thread is just that...a discussion...and anyone can chime in. Nowhere does it say that your not allowed post if you don't have the problem, it only states that you can only vote in the poll if you have the problem.

Now - the reason I posted was to give people info on a car that was not having the problem with extensive mods as well. That's really important if you've been following the other threads. Much of the issue had been pointed or initially seen as being pointed to testpipes and intake mods....and actually those mods only allow the issue to be seen more definitively.

As interesting as that actually is - the oil compression rings may be where the problem lies. It may even go as far as the parts in the top end of the motor, that were produced by certain vendors, are problematic. The reason this is taking so long for Infiniti/Nissan to resolve, is that they are looking for a correlation than can pinpoint the problem - so it can be resolved properly.

So lets get on with the issue at hand and hope more people chime in. I would expand the the poll to also include those that do not have the problem with their years of vehicles as well.

Rick

Old 10-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
...Much of the issue had been pointed or initially seen as being pointed to testpipes and intake mods....and actually those mods only allow the issue to be seen more definitively.

As interesting as that actually is - the oil compression rings may be where the problem lies. It may even go as far as the parts in the top end of the motor, that were produced by certain vendors, are problematic. The reason this is taking so long for Infiniti/Nissan to resolve, is that they are looking for a correlation than can pinpoint the problem - so it can be resolved properly.

So lets get on with the issue at hand and hope more people chime in. I would expand the the poll to also include those that do not have the problem with their years of vehicles as well.

Rick

+1

The problem is likely much deeper than anything such as flow mods, even if such mods make the problem more apparent. Even if Nissan never corrects the problem on warrantied motors, finding the problem and creating a market will eventually offer owners a solution via the aftermarket manufacturers.

While I sure as **** would want a replacement for a engine that burns oil excessively, I'm not going to be completely happy with one that burns oil but doesn't burn exactly 1qt or more/1000 miles. I still want to see the problem found so that it can be fixed.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
BOT:
06 6mt here. prod date 10-2005.
Worst to date was 1qt/1200mi between my 3750mi and 7500mi interval and toward the end of that interval. During new to 3750 was only one quart usage (figured that was normal break-in usaged...no concern). Now in middle of 7500-11250 interval at almost 9000mi and only 1/2 to 2/3 qt down. Seems to be getting somewhat better and driving habits have not changed. But Dealer used Castrol 5-30 dino as opposed to, I'm guessing, Nissan's oil prior... being prior, I have nothing written saying what brand.

Here's my .10 worth on my readings-theories/logical-possible cause/service tech statements at Dealer:

As I have suspected for some time, this issue seems to be mostly pointed to the Revup VQ (05-06 6mt's). This poll so far is supporting that theory.

Because this apparently is a random issue with the VQ's, my logic tells me there may a part supplier QC problem in the assembly/production line on these VQ's and possibly Nissan is using more than one vendor for these same parts. By parts, I'm guessing the possibility of oil control rings or the molybdenum coated pistons, possibly.
If this is true, then it would explain why some VQ's have this problem while others (the lucky ones) do not.
And I'm still pointing my finger at the 05-06 Revup's as this poll and some other posts support. Plus my theory is the 298hp VQ design has gone beyond it's limit, perhaps.
Look at the specs and re-design of their new VQ35HR. Yeah re-designed for higher rpm, more HP, but also designed for less stress on the cylinder walls and piston rings. Hmmmm.

Just found that the VQ35DE is also manufactured in Tennessee.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine
Scroll to the VQ35DE description. Here's a short quote: 'The VQ35DE is built in Iwaki, Japan and Decherd, TN.'
Click on the Decherd, TN hyper link and it takes you to a page about the location then there's a link to the Nissan Plant.
Here's that link to save you time in finding it:
http://www.nissannews.com/corporate/...mfgfacts.shtml
quick copy/paste from that link:

Components produced in Decherd: Engines for every Nissan and Inifiniti vehicle manufactured in the United States
2.5 liter, 4 cylinder
3.5 liter, 6 cylinder
4.0 liter 6 cylinder
5.6 liter, 8 cylinder

Wonder if we're on to something here????? Hmmmm.

Now as far as the break-in procedures, I have read ppl who have followed that and ppl who haven't. Too much variance whether that is a factor, so IMO, I discount that theory as being a cause for this excessive oil consumption.

Read about what oil you use has an effect. Some say they've seen improvements, but not dramatic. So, again IMO, inconclusive to the cause. I personally haven't switched to synth. I use what Nissan recommends or should I say what the dealer uses, (which I assume is approved by Nissan for use in their VQ's)

Almost done ppl.....

My dealer service guy said these VQ's have high vacuum pull. Especially, don't quote me on the exact rpm, something over 3000-35000rpm's on up. This can pull oil through your PCV valve, up your hose and into your intake plenum, which then exists through the combustion chamber. As he said to me, your driving habits have an effect on this.
I believe this is true to a point. But then why some ppl drive like they stole it everyday and have no oil consumption issues...

There's a post here about an oil catch can mod. It captures the oil before entering the plenum. Some ppl who've done this mod see a lot oil in their catch can, while others see very little.
Still doesn't explain why some VQ's are worse than others, but does prove the high vacuum theory and that's another way of how the oil is being consumed.
Some of you ppl with spacers and MREV's probably can confirm this when you pulled your OEM plenum and saw what was inside. Someone posted a pix here too and it had quite a bit of oil in there.

So, last thing my service guy told me in regards to the vacuum thing. When the VQ loosens up, it won't pull as much vacuum as new and the oil being consumed through the intake runners will decrease over time, hence, oil consumption will decrease.

I somewhat discount this explanation due to some ppl who drive theirs mellow all the time, stays in the mid low rpm range, but still have this oil consumption issue. But on the other hand, mine is getting a little better over time as the miles are clicking away on my odo.
So it is quite confusing.

Who knows why....haha...Nissan doesn't even know why (they probably do, but not disclosing publicly, that would ruin their WARD's 10 best engine awards they have gotten every year since 2002 and is the only engine to be on that list every year).

Final thought and sorry for the novel, but been doing a lot of reading/searching about this issue

I find it very sad that Nissan has set forth 1qt/1000mi to be an acceptable usage threshold for these VQ's even when they're new and will only do something about warranty wise it if exceeds that 1qt/1000mi usage........so sad.
I am intriqued and has me wondering about the US plant that produces these VQ's also. I never knew that until now. I wonder..................

It'd be nice if Nissan/Infiniti would step up to the plate and tell us why this is happening. They've dropped the ball somewhere on these VQ's.

Thanks for listening and hope someone gets to the bottom of this.

The following users liked this post:
gbogomolov001 (05-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow! Awesome post bro and I am with you on this. All I can do right now is go through the motions with my dealer and hope it works out. I have my appointment set for tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated as to what happens and what they say.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Oil consumption test is in process!

Old 10-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
has anyone else noticed that as each year has passed there is a decreasing amount of excess oil consumption problems for the 5AT and an increase for the 6MT? hmmmm.....interesting. we are almost to the point where i will try to pinpoint the source of the problem by having a more specific poll. just a few more votes. thanks guys.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:28 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
with the Sh!tty dipstick how can you tell???... Mine always looks overfilled (of course it's not).

Are you burning oil? Leaking oil? How are you determining?... Please don’t say only 4 quarts at oil change... We all know how accurate that makes it...

Old 10-21-2006, 10:54 AM
6MT Coupe
^^^Go here and read post #185.
That's what I do and of course on level groung and with it sitting for awhile or overnight to read the oil level.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/110973-everyone-check-your-oil.html

Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
ok guys. we have a good amount of votes. i will create a new poll tomorrow so we can try and pinpoint this problem.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Look at the specs and re-design of their new VQ35HR. Yeah re-designed for higher rpm, more HP, but also designed for less stress on the cylinder walls and piston rings. Hmmmm.

Just found that the VQ35DE is also manufactured in Tennessee.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine
Scroll to the VQ35DE description. Here's a short quote: 'The VQ35DE is built in Iwaki, Japan and Decherd, TN.'
Click on the Decherd, TN hyper link and it takes you to a page about the location then there's a link to the Nissan Plant.
Here's that link to save you time in finding it:
http://www.nissannews.com/corporate/...mfgfacts.shtml
quick copy/paste from that link:

Components produced in Decherd: Engines for every Nissan and Inifiniti vehicle manufactured in the United States
2.5 liter, 4 cylinder
3.5 liter, 6 cylinder
4.0 liter 6 cylinder
5.6 liter, 8 cylinder

The G's VQ engine is made in Japan. Nissan doesn't ship US-made engines to Japan to install in G's. Decherd's VQ engine goes into Maximas (made in USA now) and other US-made Nissans. I wonder if the Maximas are experiencing the oil consumption problem.

Even though my '04 Coupe 6MT is not experiencing any oil consuption issues, I'm considering trading it in when the new '08 Coupe comes out just to get the new VQ35HR engine which is a huge improvement over the VQ35DE. The new HR engine is made in a brand new factory, and from everything I've read on it, was built with heavier-duty components to handle turbocharging (for future models).

I wouldn't turbo the car, but I own a '91 300ZX (non-turbo) with the VG30DE V-6 which was built to handle turbocharging (since there was a 300ZX Turbo model too), and that engine is freaking bulletproof- doesn't drink any oil at 185,000 miles now, and I run that baby pretty hard. So having an engine designed for turbocharging in a non-turbo car seems to give a bigger safety factor.

I check my oil all the time now that this oil consumption issue is seemingly fairly common. I wonder what percentage of engines are affected, and I'd sure like to know what the culprit is.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:49 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by gspotter
The G's VQ engine is made in Japan. Nissan doesn't ship US-made engines to Japan to install in G's. Decherd's VQ engine goes into Maximas (made in USA now) and other US-made Nissans. I wonder if the Maximas are experiencing the oil consumption problem.
Yeah...not to long after I found and posted that, had a feeling that was the case you pointed out. Just thought I was on to something.
Had no idea VQ's were made also in the States.

I'm searching for an answer to this cause as much as you.
Maybe Extreme in the other thread will be able to shed some light on the cause, being his Dealer performed all types of tests and they just told him he's getting a new VQ.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excessive Oil Consumption

New 06 6MT. Burns through oil waaay to fast. With the commuting I do daily, this is a rediculous issue to consider, especially after dropping 36k for a new car. I am pushing my dealership to address this issue vigerously, so we'll see where I get. After my first 2,500 miles, the car had 1 quart or less left in the oil pan. Truly a big dissapointment for such an amazing car.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
05 Coupe - AT - Supercharged - ZERO oil burn...

Mobile 1, Nissan Filter and lots of hard driving since the car had 6.2 miles on it and I drove it off the lot. In fact I took it 138MPH before it had 20 miles on it, then swapped in the Mobile 1, and do so religiously every 3K.

Rick

+1... I've read so much about this OIL CONSUMPTION problem and everyone asking what year and what transmission are their cars, but what I really want to know is a breakdown of out of all of you seeing this problem, how do you drive your car?

1. Do you warm up the engine before driving? (~1K RPM before driving).
2. Did you baby the vehicle or drive it hard during 1st 20 miles?
3. Did you baby the vehicle or drive it hard after the 1st 20 miles?

Maybe someone should start a poll on this? I can do it if you guys think this will help.

I only have 440 miles on my car. Got the car at 50 miles, drove it hard, and had dealer change my oil at 100 miles. I don't know if my car has this problem, but it sounds like a potentially major problem!

Old 11-27-2006, 10:57 PM
Question

Originally Posted by CaptainKrinkle
New 06 6MT. Burns through oil waaay to fast. With the commuting I do daily, this is a rediculous issue to consider, especially after dropping 36k for a new car. I am pushing my dealership to address this issue vigerously, so we'll see where I get. After my first 2,500 miles, the car had 1 quart or less left in the oil pan. Truly a big dissapointment for such an amazing car.
Likewise. Started my car the other day and it did not sound good, turned it off and had Infiniti Tow Service pick it up.
It was low on oil, i have 2,500 miles.. I am on the 1,000 mile diet, will be back in about 1 month.
We'll see what happens.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UGH, 1 QT easy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Poll: Oil Consumption