Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

IS THE TECHNOSQUARE WORTH IT?

Old 12-16-2003, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IS THE TECHNOSQUARE WORTH IT?

i currently have a injen intake, crawford plenum, borla exhaust, and a grounding kit as far as performance mods go. i was wondering if the technosquare ecu is actually worth getting? would i notice a difference?

Old 12-16-2003, 06:51 PM
Re: IS THE TECHNOSQUARE WORTH IT?

Absolutely!! I also had my doubts ( & I have more mods on my G ) but w/o the additional fuel & spark curves that the reflash gives, I was disappointed in all my efforts. But now with the T/S reflashed ECU installed, I've had to get used to the newfound power! Actually, the power was already there but the T/S tuning brought it out.

Old 12-16-2003, 10:00 PM

Yep!

2003 G35 Sedan - DP / Willow / AT / Premium / Sport
Z Engine Cover & Air Duct / Stillen CAI
GG 7-Wire H-G Kit / TechnoSquare ECU
Street Edge TC / Stillen Exhaust System

Old 12-16-2003, 11:58 PM

Wow! Really? Becuase I'm feeling that same frustration. Regardless of how much I'm modding my car, I feel like it's not getting anywhere.
So, that's it? The ECU huh? huh....

'04 G35 6MT Ivory Pearl
K&N Drop In / Stillen Grounding Kit
Borla Headers/Dual Cat-Back Exhaust
Nismo Front Bumper/Side Skirts
Impul Rear Bumper/Spoiler
AirSplat.com for AirSoft Guns!

Old 12-17-2003, 06:03 AM

I second that.

Old 12-17-2003, 07:39 AM

AirS - Go to Gurgen's post about the A/T Valve Body upgrades & read my response there as well. The electronic tuning IS the key to maxing out any mods we make. I have a complete Borla exhaust ( w/test pipes ), CAI, Crawford plenum, EVO throttle body & a high stall convertor + V/B upgrade. Until the reflash, I couldn't even spin the rear 275/35/18 Nittos ( 11.1" wide ). Now I simply hang on & smell the rubber burning!! And forget about getting on the throttle @ 3k rpms ( in first or second gear ) if I'm making a turn. The rear end comes around & NO tuning I've done on the rear Eibach sway bar will take that out!! I'm having fun relearning how to drive my G!! Nitrous, here I come!!!

Old 12-17-2003, 08:31 AM

I called stillen the other day to inquire about there dual exhaust for my sedan. While on the phone I asked about the ecu flash, there response was: "As of now it causes a lot of pinging and detonation" That is not good as you will pit the heads.

Old 12-17-2003, 10:01 AM

That's too bad there isn't a software program out there where we could edit the ECU. For my '01 camaro SS, there is a program called "LS1 Edit". It is an awesome program, and was extremely precise when used in conjunction with a dyno machine, becuase you could tune your car to maximum hp for your specific car(becuase every car is different, even with the same exact mods). Maybe we could write to the makers of LS1 edit and have them make "VQ35DE Edit"

http://carputing.tripod.com/LS1main.htm

Old 12-17-2003, 12:03 PM

GSpot - I haven't had any detonation yet. T/S recommends 91 octane fuel for the reflash & since 93 octane is readily available, I don't foresee a problem. Hey, there's always 104+ octane booster or Nitrous Express' new "Gen X" product!

Old 12-17-2003, 02:13 PM

So what's the real deal with this ECU upgrade? It seems that there are different results for A/T and 6 MT Sedan drivers. If you've had it done please post and let us no specifics, your mods, dyno's, and overall opinion so far.
Thanks!

Old 12-18-2003, 12:35 PM

So does the Technosquare not work that well if we don't have any mods...? Is it worth it if we don't have mods...? All I have is a K&N drop-in filter. Would I notice any gains...?

"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
- Homer Simpson

Old 12-19-2003, 01:55 AM

Guys

Don't hold your breath for a "VQ35EDIT" -type program. This is not a camaro - it is a far more sophisticated machine and the Nissan engineers have made sure that it will not be very easy to hack. All the editing that takes place with it is done via HEX editing. The fuel and timings maps are NOT organized neatly in a simple table which can just be "edited"; they are spead all around the ECU firmware...

If you have an AT sedan - the ECU program will definitely help right off the bat. Like Gene said, the more mods you bolt up to your car - the more learning the ECU has to do ... The problem is that most of the time - especially with a great number of mods - you "run out of map", as in don't have the right parameters to learn the "new stuff", to put it bluntly. Thus the ECU has to be shifted into the "new territory" with respect to giving more fuel at a given load, and then the fine-tuning/learning can be done further.

Gurgen

Old 12-19-2003, 10:51 AM

Btw, I am not sure if you have answered this or not, but do you have to pay technosquare (torrance) every time you have the ecu re-programmed. Sweet ride man. Thanks, later.

Old 12-19-2003, 11:24 AM

I don't, no. But I was the test sedan for them from the very beginning and have a good relationship. Since they do the testing on my car, anyone else with that cofiguration can then get that particular ECU version.

For example, I am putting on the RT high flow cats and will be going down there to get the program for it. So, next time anyone puts exhaust/high flow cats/plenum mod - they have the perfect ECU program for it. And I know for sure that you will need an ECU program for the RT cats (not so much the crawfords) as they make the car run lean. So a little fuel must be added.

Gurgen

EDIT: Otherwise, you would pay $100-150 bucks to have your reprogrammed for a particular mod - not a very big price to pay IMO.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gurgenpb on 12/19/03 08:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 12-20-2003, 01:07 AM

Wicked - T/S told me that it would cost me an additional $150 every time that I had my ECU reflashed after the initial one. That's why I waited until I had almost everything done before I sent mine in for the first reflash. I'll do it one more time after I install some cams ( haven't decided between the Tomei 264's or 268's yet ) then use octane booster for the nitrous injection. Like Gurgen said - it's well worth the $$, IMHO.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IS THE TECHNOSQUARE WORTH IT?