Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Xmas Vacation Upgrades & Pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xmas Vacation Upgrades & Pics

How I Spent My Christmas Vacation:

My company shuts down from Xmas eve until after the new year. So I had some free time in which to finally install some upgrades I've been acquiring since last summer (aluminum pedals, trunk release & power outlet wiring harness, and OEM Sport struts and springs).

The aluminum pedal installation was a breeze. Many thanks to KenDude for his excellent How-To in the FAQ & DIY section. Also big thanks to Grubbs Infiniti who really came through with speedy service and delivery and got me the pedal kit just before my vacation started.

For those of you with 2003.0 models, you're probably already painfully aware that we didn't get an internal trunk release, and we've got that dumb looking blank on the passenger side, where the power outlet ought to be. My wife gave me a new kit for Xmas. I used a how-to off of infinitihelp.com, which made the whole thing a breeze. I've never taken a dash apart before and was surprised at how easy it was - definitely takes a lot of the mystery about what's behind the dash away!

The OEM sport strut and spring installation was a Big Deal. When I bought my G, I didn't get the Sport package 'cause I didn't like the titanium interior. Over time, I came to realize that I wanted a slightly tighter suspension, but didn't want to spend the big bux on an aftermarket kit. Thanks to nuttyprof for selling me his old OEM Sport kit after he installed the 350Z components. Only about $200.

I'm not mechanically inclined. The first work I've EVER done on a car was when I installed a 5-wire grounding kit on my G35 last summer. Luckily, the how-to from GSedan35 off of freshalloy.com and from drsifu1 right here on g35driver.com, gave me all the info I needed to do the job right. Big thanks to GSedan35 for his advice and patient replies to my many queries. The how-to docs describe the process in great detal. I had to buy all the tools to do this job (like I said, I've never done anything like this before and aren't very mechanical, so I didn't have many tools). I got a nice 3-ton Craftsman jack, some jackstands, and all the tools recommended in the how-to. Don't leave out any of the tools they recommend - I got to my last corner before I found out what the 17mm box wrench was for and thank god I had it. Otherwise, I would have been stuck. Also, there's no substitute for good tools. Definitely get the torque wrench - if you're going to do something, do it right, right? Plus, torque wrenches are pretty cool. I probably spent about $150 on everything.

This job isn't for somebody trying to save a few bucks on the installation. It's only for those who have an interest in working on their own cars. Or those who, as in my case, are just too obsessed with their G35 to let anyone else touch it!. I learned a LOT about my car, a LOT about suspensions, and now have the tools and knowledge to do all my own suspension upgrades. It took me 4 hours to do the first, front corner, about 2 hours for the other side. Then about 2 hours on the first, rear corner and about 1 hour to do the other side. I took my time and had a ball! An entire week spent working on my G and then driving around enjoying the upgrades - that's pretty much what I imagine heaven to be like.

Happy New Year Everybody!

-townsley-
2003.0 Silver Premium Sedan/K&N Filter/
Z Tube/Battery Master Switch/InSaNeAmine Grounding Kit/
Solar Guard Tint/Sport Shocks & Struts/Aluminum Pedals/Splash Guards

Old 01-04-2004, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Xmas Vacation Upgrades & Pics

Glad to hear you had fun. I never touched a car before this one either, but I have done the Stillen intake/Z tube, Borla exhaust, aluminum pedals and clear corners. I might put some lowering springs on soon, so its good to hear a first timer can do suspension work, even if it does take some time.

DG/G 6MT coupe, Borla exhaust, Stillen intake, Z aluminum pedals, clear corners

Old 01-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad you like the suspension. i love mine, even though it bounces like no other when im on the 10 freeway in LA.

G35S 6MT
Technosquare ECU
350Z Springs & Struts
6-wire ground kit

Old 01-05-2004, 03:34 AM

Does the 350Z bounces that badly on freeway?
How bad would you say the ride is compared to the OEM sport suspension?

Old 01-06-2004, 10:51 PM

Hey man, nice work on the pedals. I'll bet you wish you could get that e-brake covered right? Buy the clutch pedal from Grubbs. Take off the rubber e-brake cover. You'll need to make a couple cuts to the rubber underneath the new pedal. Place the new pedal over the metal brake to see where/ how it will fit. Cut two notches in the rubber so that the pedal fits over the upper and lower edges (exacto knife). Here's the fun part. Fill the whole underside with JB Weld. Once it sits for a few minutes, put it over the e-brake. Put a couple zip-ties to hol it on. You will also want to cover the pedal with a plastic bag so that no JBWeld drips onto your mat. This may sound crazy but it works like a champ.

Old 01-07-2004, 02:31 PM

Hey - Great Idea! Yeah, I hate the way that parking brake pedal looks. Can I buy just the clutch pedal? Do you know how much it costs?

-townsley-
2003.0 Silver Premium Sedan/K&N Filter/
Z Tube/Battery Master Switch/InSaNeAmine Grounding Kit/
Solar Guard Tint/Sport Shocks & Struts/Aluminum Pedals/Splash Guards

Old 01-07-2004, 03:11 PM

Drilled Clutch/Brake Pedal 6MT / Emergency Brake 5AT.
Price $ 21.99
For use on a 6 MT for the brake and clutch pedal.
For use on emergency brake on 5 AT.

http://www.infinitiwholesaleparts.com/en_US/

Old 01-07-2004, 11:11 PM

Yeah - I have to give it up to Grubbs Infiniti - they came through for me, especially Carvey Parker, when I thought it was going to be impossible.

FOR ANYONE READING - if you have a choice between Grubbs and another, unless the price difference is really high, please go with Grubbs. They REALLY treated me right and went out of their way to get me the parts I neede before I went on vacation.

My wife bought me a bunch of the wrong parts, because she didn't know any better, for a 6MT sedan when I actually have the 5AT sedan. That was on 12/09. I sent them back on 12/14.

Truly - Carvey Parker cparkerr@grubbs.com), personally called me on December 17th to let me know that he received my returned parts and was immediately sending back the replacements on the SAME DAY and that they would arrive on 12/23. Gawdamm if they didn't show up exactly on 12/23 - that's a pretty good deal!

Carvey/Grubbs treated me like my money and business was worth something and they're getting ALL my future business!

-townsley-
2003.0 Silver/Willow Premium AT Sedan/
K&N Filter/Z Tube/Battery Master Switch/ InSaNeAmine Grounding Kit/Solar Guard Tint/ Sport Shocks & Struts/Aluminum Pedals/Splash Guards