Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

VQ Oil Analysis and Info

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amsoil

Old 12-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Attached is my Oil Report using Castrol Syntec 5W/30

Came out great

Attached Thumbnails VQ Oil Analysis and Info-oil.png  

Last edited by thescreensavers; 12-21-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Here's what Nissan/Infiniti gave me with their Revup VQ TSB warranty replacement.

Their build is sub-standard in my book.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I'M A G
NEED SOME HELP!!

I have an '04 G35 coupe with about 113000 km (yes I live in Canada) on it. It seems to be consuming oil for the last 20,000km and I had a very difficult time getting Nissan to replace the engine. Long story short, I'm still stuck with this VQ monster that eats about 1qt every 2000km!!!

I'm not sure what is the best option to help maintain my motor. The Infiniti dealership used a Lucas oil stabilizer additive to help at my last oil change however it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I was also recommended to use Nissan's special Ester oil blend however, it is super expensive (more than synthetic oil).

I don't see the point in putting in synthetic oil and spending $80 an oil change since I don't get any more milage out of it. I change every 4500km or 5000km as I end up adding a qt or 2 in during that time.

I am just about to change my oil this weekend and before I go spend $75 on oil, I want to make sure I buy the right stuff.

Should I get the ester oil?
Should I use a 10W30 synthetic oil with the Oil stabilizer?
should I just use a cheap oil and keep topping up every so often?
Is there something else you can recommend?

I really don't want to spend to much $$$$ but if it will save my engine, then I will.

PLEASE ADVISE!!!
First you need to call Infiniti USA or Canada, not sure bout that, 1-800-361-4792 is Infiniti Canada's #, you then proceed to talk to them nicely at first, only get mean, loud and hateful if needed. Explain to them the problem and that you understand that there is a TSB (technical service bulletin) out already about the oil consumption. Then tell them you have notified your attorney and the BBB (better business bureau) but first go www.bbb.com and file a complaint, you can find the business by using the phone number provided above. Also file a complaint against the dealership you have been using. Be truthful, concise, and to the point while filling out the complaint. Then contact Corporate Infiniti. Usually they will put file your complaint and tell them the name of the dealership, they will contact the dealership and you should be getting a new engine. Lots of red tape, but worth it. I used this method and had my engine shipped and installed within a week of the complaint. They even gave me a M35 to drive while they had my car.(depends on dealership you use)

The following users liked this post:
G-raid4fun (07-21-2012)
Old 10-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Has someone tried the new Castrol Edge 5w-30 for their VQ35DE?

I had a hard time deciding over the Amsoil 5w-30 , the royal purple 5w-30 and the Castrol edge. The Mobil 1 5w-30 EP was another contender.

A cheaper alternative was the Castrol Syntec available in-store.

I kinda went for the Amsoil this time and its guaranteed for 25000 km if a good filter is used.

I'll probably change it out at 10,000km since I used a K & N 1008 filter.
Did I make the right choice?

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^Take a sample at end of OCI and send in for analysis, then post UOA results.

I ran another OCI since my last UOA again with Amsoil's ASL. Those results where better than last ASL run.

Amsoil products good stuff, but so are others with the UOA's on VQ35DE's I've seen too. Oil filters do make a difference as well...

Old 10-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Mr.202?

Originally Posted by bigjee
Has someone tried the new Castrol Edge 5w-30 for their VQ35DE?

I had a hard time deciding over the Amsoil 5w-30 , the royal purple 5w-30 and the Castrol edge. The Mobil 1 5w-30 EP was another contender.

A cheaper alternative was the Castrol Syntec available in-store.

I kinda went for the Amsoil this time and its guaranteed for 25000 km if a good filter is used.

I'll probably change it out at 10,000km since I used a K & N 1008 filter.
Did I make the right choice?

Thanks.
I am going to run Edge now and do a UOA since there isnt one for the VQ35DE with Edge.

I always changed with Syntec and it shows fantastic results. It can be ran for 6k.

Amsoil ASL I would not run for 10k miles, I know someone ran SSO for 8k and it was ok.

But Just running it for 10k and hoping it will work is dumb, run it for 5k do a UOA and see how much more you can go.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:07 AM
First Sample on My G35. Ran Castrol Edge right up to 9k miles. 80% highway with some of those highway miles being in stop and go rush hour traffic. Very pleased with the results of this oil. Will be running to 11k next time.

Name:  E31803.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  170.6 KB

Old 10-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by stefanzo911
Thank you for this valuable information!
Great research!
That is totally incorrect as exampled on great forums such as Bobistheoilguy forums.

I don't think you're to talk since you don't know the base material of one of the products you actually sell and didn't know most of Mobil 1's synthetics were no longer Group IV based.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by danielw
First Sample on My G35. Ran Castrol Edge right up to 9k miles. 80% highway with some of those highway miles being in stop and go rush hour traffic. Very pleased with the results of this oil. Will be running to 11k next time.

Great info!! I am trying to decide wether or not to switch to EDGE or keep my German Castrol 0W-30. The german castrol heats up really quick in the colder temps which is nice! As far as the edge it is a 5W, so am not sure if it will make that much difference at all?? Any opinions?

Either oil I plan on running 6-7thousand miles and sending in a sample to get analyzed....

Old 01-09-2011, 02:37 AM
I intend to use Castrol Edge on my G35. It is a very nice oil according to the guys at the oil forum.

I also use German Castrol in my G35. I find that it soaked up some power immediately after I start using it. It feels much thicker than the Mobil 1 0w40 I was using previously. I think I will either switch to Edge or just stick with the Mobil 1 0w40.

Speaking of UOA, I bought a $2000 beater Sentra many years ago. The car ran very smoothly, although it was burning a little half a quart of oil every 5000 miles or so. Did a UOA for the heck of it. UOA agency said that the engine was in bad shape with extremely high zinc and copper content, and that I would be replacing the engine very soon. With that in mind, I just put in some regular 10w30 oil and never cared too much about fixing it. That car ran fine for 4 years and I sold it for $2000! Last time I checked, the new owner is still driving the car with the same engine. From that point on I take UOA with a grain of salt.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:45 AM
Mr.202?

Originally Posted by tyau
I intend to use Castrol Edge on my G35. It is a very nice oil according to the guys at the oil forum.

I also use German Castrol in my G35. I find that it soaked up some power immediately after I start using it. It feels much thicker than the Mobil 1 0w40 I was using previously. I think I will either switch to Edge or just stick with the Mobil 1 0w40.

Speaking of UOA, I bought a $2000 beater Sentra many years ago. The car ran very smoothly, although it was burning a little half a quart of oil every 5000 miles or so. Did a UOA for the heck of it. UOA agency said that the engine was in bad shape with extremely high zinc and copper content, and that I would be replacing the engine very soon. With that in mind, I just put in some regular 10w30 oil and never cared too much about fixing it. That car ran fine for 4 years and I sold it for $2000! Last time I checked, the new owner is still driving the car with the same engine. From that point on I take UOA with a grain of salt.
well UOA can tell if you have stuff in your oil from there you can project what may happen. But its obviously not a end all thing.

Also If you use the same weight of oil its impossible to claim "Power loss" as they are with in the same range of Viscosity.

I am currently running Edge its great, I have used Syntec in the past. I might stick with edge now, its only 3 bucks more when they are on special.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:48 AM
Mr.202?

Originally Posted by DOCWADE87
Great info!! I am trying to decide wether or not to switch to EDGE or keep my German Castrol 0W-30. The german castrol heats up really quick in the colder temps which is nice! As far as the edge it is a 5W, so am not sure if it will make that much difference at all?? Any opinions?

Either oil I plan on running 6-7thousand miles and sending in a sample to get analyzed....
Well yea the cold viscosity is thicker at 5W to your 0W. It wont matter much.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Edge 5W-30 is thinner at all temperatures compared to GC 0W-30.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by MarkG
Edge 5W-30 is thinner at all temperatures compared to GC 0W-30.
Where did you get that info from? Do you have actual analysis results comparing the two?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: VQ Oil Analysis and Info