Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

New NA Build for my G35 Coupe!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:41 PM
_jb
Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New NA Build for my G35 Coupe!

Most of you know I've been wanting to build a good normally aspirated (NA) engine for quite some time. I have been talking to Jeremy at the Performance Factory for over a year, and finally things worked out... It was completed yesterday!

I was fortunate to find an '06 revup engine with the dreaded oil consumption disease that was for sale. I bought it and took it over to Jeremy's shop so he could work on the engine while I still drove my G35 Coupe. That worked out well and things got rolling. I took my car over a little later and Jeremy swapped the new engine in, along with a new flywheel and clutch, and got everything running.

I wanted to use good parts for my engine. Some of you might think that some of the fasteners and gaskets are overkill for an NA engine. You might be right, but I wanted to build it with these parts. There is also a possibility that I might throw a bottle of Nitrous in the trunk some day... and I wanted to know that everything would be safe if I did.

As far as I know, this is one of the first NA RevUp motors built to make power at high RPM. It presented a few extra problems along the way. Fortunately, I have been a beta tester for UpRev's Osiris Tuner package and it (along with Jared's help) solved a few extra problems.

Here's a list of the new parts that went into this build. I really have to thank Jeremy at the Performance Factory for his help with this project. In a lot of ways, this engine is an extension on his original NA motor, but with a few modernizations and updates. His advice was just as important as his building and tuning skills

Engine Management System
Osiris Tuner Pro v2.0 (UpRev) - Rev Limit, Speed Limit, Reprogram Throttle Body, Tune, 5 Maps
Haltech Platinum PnP EMS Standalone for Air/Fuel Ratio, Ignition and Cam Timing
KPtechnologies VDC Memory Management Module
AutoMeter Nexus Water Temperature, Oil Pressure, and Air/Fuel Gauges

Engine
JE 11.7 CR +0.020 Pistons
Eagle Rods
ARP 2000 220,000 PSI Rated Rod Bolts
Calico Coated ACL Bearings
ARP Main Studs
ARP L19 Head Studs
HKS Head Gaskets
JWT C8R Camshafts
JWT Valve Springs and Shims
Deatschwerks 500cc Injectors
Cylinder Heads Ported with 5 Angle Valve Job
Nismo Oil Filler Cap

Intake and Exhaust
350Z Intake (Z-Tube)
K&N Hi-Flow Air Filter
CrawfordZ Polished Upper Plenum
CrawfordZ Headers with Jet-Hot 1300 Degree Coating
CrawfordZ High Flow Cats
HKS Hi-Power Ti Exhaust

Driveline
ACT Lightweight Flywheel
JWT Clutch
Carbonetics CF Limited Slip Differential
Nismo 4.083 Final Drive
Nismo Finned Differential Cover
Braided Stainless Steel Clutch Line

I know everyone wants to see the dyno chart, so here it is. After the dyno break-in my G35 made 312 rwhp on the Performance Factory's DynoJet. Good numbers for a completely new NA engine. Jeremy also took the time to go for a ride with me and do a little street tuning to make sure everything was tuned to perfection. Next time Jeremy says hold it in gear to 8,000 I'll probably look up for cars first... That was a lot of fun!

Here's where I found my Engine... Under Joe's workbench... mine is the one on the left... a perfect 222222 waiting for someone to come along and pick him up... It's a 2006 RevUp with less than 5,000 miles on it... Very nice motor... Thanks, Joe!

Here's a shot of Joe and Christian helping me load in onto the back of a truck... Hey, I helped... I had to stop and take a picture, though...

Here you can see that my engine made it to the Performance factory... Jeremy, "The Captain" didn't think I was really going to take this picture...

Here's a shot of my parts as they are close to being assembled.

Couple of shots of my JE Pistons. They were custom made by JE to Jeremy's specs for the best combination of power and their ability to run on 93 octane gasoline.

Main Studs...

Short block assembled...

Cylinder head...

Heads assembled with cams...

Here's a shot of my engine bay after everything was done. All that work and new parts and it doesn't really show... it's good news, actually... You wouldn't ever know anything had been changed.

I've always wanted better gauges. Oil pressure and water temperature gauges are pure necessities to me... and I wanted an air/fuel gauge so I could easily tell if anything changed in the A/F area. I finally decided on an A-Pillar gauge set because there really isn't a better place to put gauges in a G35. I'm happy that I got it because the gauges are very easy to read and they line up with the A-Pillar perfectly so they don't restrict my vision.

To say that my car is fun to drive is the understatement of the century! The new engine revs freely to 8,000 and just loves the 4.08 rear gears. It pulls much, much, much harder than it ever did before. It is a blast to drive now. I realize NA engines are not for everyone, but it's exactly what I was looking for!

This is really just the start of this project... there are a few more things to try... hoping to get one or two of them done before Jeremy relocates, but I may have to make the trip up to NC some day. Thanks, Jeremy! I really, really appreciate all your time and hard work!

Old 11-01-2008, 07:51 PM
looks good! glad everything worked out for you

Old 11-01-2008, 08:56 PM
all i can say is LEGIT. NA ftw i would love to be in that car just to feel how the vq is in that state. Good luck in the rest of your ventures

Old 11-01-2008, 09:25 PM
fgc moderator
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
congrats john! i know you've been wanting this for a long time. dyno chart looks real strong and steady. props to jt for the install and tune as well. cant wait to check it out at the next meet.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amazing, we need videos to fully appreciate it lol. Great Build!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:04 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
JB was good to talk to you yesterday.... car sounds amazing I bet it is a blast to drive

Old 11-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
first you jump to the left, then a step to the rightttttttt. put your hands on your hips if you are feeling alriiiiiiiiiiiightttttttttttt

Old 11-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
Dam thats awesome

Old 11-02-2008, 01:38 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Very Nice!!! Congrats!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Good work work JB and JT.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Very nice and congrats on a na beast.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cool build, What does something like that cost if you don't mind me asking?

Old 11-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
im curious to know what this n/a setup will run at the track. nice work.

i love the way those autometers look almost stock..

Old 11-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Looks like a very healthy engine. I like how long it stays above 300 hp.

Three questions:

1) You don't have to say the cost, but do you feel it was worth it over investing in FI?

2) Is there a reason you chose not to make the motor a little bigger during the rebuild since you were putting all sorts of new parts in anyways?

3) Why the dual engine management solution?

SC

Old 11-02-2008, 02:44 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
JB was good to talk to you yesterday.... car sounds amazing I bet it is a blast to drive
Thanks, Danny.

It was nice talking with you, too. Interesting that we have such similar backgrounds. I hope you got the Green Goblin all tuned up and ready to go after I left.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New NA Build for my G35 Coupe!