Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

radiator spewing out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy radiator spewing out

So having only had my 06 coupe for 3 days.. today i went to eat dinner and the drive was fine.. I didnt notice anything unusual and i get to the restaurant and i see smoke coming out of the front end of my car. i pull up the hood and see that the reserve radiator tank was spewing out and shooting up fluid. The level was way above max at this point. It kept shooting for maybe a min or two before it stopped.. I let it cool down and jsut went inside to eat rather than sit and wait for it to cool off..

i come back out in like 45 min and all the fluid in the reserve tank was gone as far as i can see ( it was dark) .. i was next to walmart so i went over and got a flashlight, radiator fluid and proceeded to bring hte level back up in the reserve tank. THen i let it sit for 2 hrs in the lot while we jsut went to catch a movie. Came out and all the fluid was gone again.. looking under the car, nothing was coming out anywhere so i figure all of it went to the radiator itself, once again i brought the level in the reserve tank back up. Let it sit for 5 min to observe the level. It wasnt going down anymore. i then drove home. No problem at all.

Any explanations? i am by no means knowledgable at all bout car work.. and very willing to learn so any suggestions from you experts wud be great.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cocacola1
So having only had my 06 coupe for 3 days.. today i went to eat dinner and the drive was fine.. I didnt notice anything unusual and i get to the restaurant and i see smoke coming out of the front end of my car. i pull up the hood and see that the reserve radiator tank was spewing out and shooting up fluid. The level was way above max at this point. It kept shooting for maybe a min or two before it stopped.. I let it cool down and jsut went inside to eat rather than sit and wait for it to cool off..

i come back out in like 45 min and all the fluid in the reserve tank was gone as far as i can see ( it was dark) .. i was next to walmart so i went over and got a flashlight, radiator fluid and proceeded to bring hte level back up in the reserve tank. THen i let it sit for 2 hrs in the lot while we jsut went to catch a movie. Came out and all the fluid was gone again.. looking under the car, nothing was coming out anywhere so i figure all of it went to the radiator itself, once again i brought the level in the reserve tank back up. Let it sit for 5 min to observe the level. It wasnt going down anymore. i then drove home. No problem at all.

Any explanations? i am by no means knowledgable at all bout car work.. and very willing to learn so any suggestions from you experts wud be great.
I would do a full flush at this point and save what you drain out. I am not sure how you purchased it but you may want to take this to a dealer if you have any warranty left.

It is possible you had low fluid level to start with, maybe a leak between the reservoir tank and the radiator. One question is - was there any noise prior to this happening. Some 'G's had issues with sealer in their heater cores which required a backflush (which you may have just did by accident) to remove.

If this occurs again take a combustion gas check on your reservoir tank for combustion gasses. This can tell you if you have a head gasket leak.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:42 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Quite possible just air in your cooling system. Try draining, refilling, and bleeding the system.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds like your were "boiling over"

The coolant reservoir tank is designed to allow for fluid to expand and contract with the temperatures. If your temps get too high it can boil over.

You might want to test your radiator cap. When the car is up to temp squeeze the upper radiator tube, it should be hard because of pressure. If its not, you need to replace rad cap.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:51 AM
thanks for the info, i have taken it back to the dealer to check it. this is my first car purchase from a dealership so am i wrong in thinking that i shoudn't have to pay for anything that needs to be fixed? i mean i bought it last tues and the prob occurred on Thursday. again thanks for the input and i will be checking the tubing and caps.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:31 PM
so it turns out the fan motors werent cutting on correctly all the time and thus caused the problem.. the car was still under warranty so it was replaced no problem.. they also replaced the headlights...they guy said that the fan motor actually was a recall.. anyone can confirm this on the 2006 coupe? also is there a list of where all the 2006 coupe recalls can be found?

Old 10-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cocacola1
so it turns out the fan motors werent cutting on correctly all the time and thus caused the problem.. the car was still under warranty so it was replaced no problem.. they also replaced the headlights...they guy said that the fan motor actually was a recall.. anyone can confirm this on the 2006 coupe? also is there a list of where all the 2006 coupe recalls can be found?

Could this be the problem I'm having in my 04 coupe: Everything was fine while driving until all of a sudden my service engine light pops up then simultaneously the acceleration was different and I pull over and steam was coming from the reservoir side of the hood; I shut the engine down pop the hood and yes not the redator but the reservoir was boiling. Let it cooled and notice that the levels was showing empthy after cooled; added coolant started the engine and it appears the SE light was still on after driving it 5 mins to the autozone temp gauage elevated so I again shut the engine off. Could this be my termosat or fan motor?