Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Feeler: SxExCx V2 Grounding Kit (STEALTH)

Old 02-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 457 Likes on 237 Posts
Feeler: SxExCx V2 Grounding Kit (STEALTH)

So, recently I had a customer ask me to make him a custom grounding kit that would work with his SSV plenum. This request was a challenge since most of the grounding points of my original kit are on the OEM plenum itself. The result is a kit that performs the same as the original kit, uses less wires, and is easier to install. The kit is very low profile and if done in black; it is almost undetectable.
Here is a photo of the kit I installed last night:

For reference, here is the original kit:

The questions are:

-Do ya'll like this kit better?
-Do you like the original kit better?
-Should I offer both?
-Who is interested in a group buy?

Old 02-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Sean, it really depends on what the customer is looking for. If they are looking to dress up their engine bay, some colorful wires will compliment the color scheme or the look they are going for. However, some guys that have just a stock engine bay might prefer the new, stealth look of the v2.

I personally like the original kit you made for my v36.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
^true...I know the two kits will appeal to different people. I guess my objective here is to find out if ENOUGH people are interested to start producing it.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is a preference...which is what you asked for.

I like my current one just fine (of course, over time, the blue definitely starts to darken).

I think the wiretuck guys would be all over this.

I definitely think you will find a market for it.

Good Luck,
Dave

Old 02-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Cool, thanks Dave!

Old 02-26-2010, 06:34 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I would be all over a stealth kit. Honestly, the only thing that has kept me from getting one already was the plethora of wires that criss-cross the engine compartment.

I like the clean look. I'm assuming it would come with directions on where every wire goes? I still like the idea of having a color choice though. In the first pic, I like the fact the red just "peeks" out from under the places it can be seen.

Of course I'd need a set in blue

How do you acheive the same results with less wires?

Last edited by Blue Dream; 03-04-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's my car he installed it on Sorry i know..its not that big of a deal..but it's my first "mod" and it did make a difference in the feel of my car overall between shifts.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
if i had an AT and needed a grounding kit... id prefer the stealth look... looks close to stock!

Old 02-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
How do you achieve the same results with less wires?
I eliminated unnecessary "common-points" with a more direct configuration. One thing that people must understand...more wires does not necessarily make a better kit. I can name a few (but I wont) kits that have a few useless wires.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I'm assuming it would come with deirctions on where every wire goes? I still like the idea of having a color choice though. In the first pic, I like the fact the red just "peeks" out from under the places it can be seen.

Of course I'd need a set in blue

How do you acheive the same results with less wires?
I will offer it in all colors and I am in the process of printing the instructions. PM me if you want a set.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
In my first life (I was an electrical engineer before I went to Med school) we were easily able to measure electromagnetic output decreases following proper or increased grounding. From my professional experience the grounding kit may only have the effect of reducing static electricity or electromagnetic waves that interfere with the sound system quality, and possibly to stabilize voltage(?). The other improvements attributed to the kit may be the placebo effect. The science behind the purported other improvements (better shifting, increased power, more stability in electrical system, etc.) is far too shakey to draw a conclusion.

Is it possible that the grounding kit may be the G's version of the Tornado fuel saver gas devices (and the hemi head on some engines) which millions bought... millions swore by... thousands of mechanics smilingly installed (b/c they too believed the marketing) because it made sense.... and in the end, after it was shown to be a useless add-on, millions continue to purchase?

There have claims for HP increases and "smoother shifting," but it's been very anecdotal. I think they're effective for older cars where corrosion may have reduced proper grounding, but in our newer cars, is this essential?

I'm looking for any independent dyno tests using a pre-kit (baseline), post kit, then pre-kit and post kit again (ABAB design) at the least. Minus this evidence, it still seems to be mostly hypothetical.

Since you install them, I was wondering if you could help me on this?

Last edited by Braintree; 02-26-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
This isn't the place to discuss the merits of a grounding kit. There are plenty of other threads out there if you'd like to contribute to them. I know it's encumbent on the one making the benefit claim to prove it, but Sean isn't making that claim here, and you can't just ignore all the anecdotal evidence as a result of the placebo effect. Remember, your side hasn't proven that they don't have a benefit.

And I think comparing it to the Tornado is a bit disingenuous. The goal of a good intake system is the exact opposite of what the Tornado produced, and nobody is claiming a grounding kit is some technological miracle that will transform your 300 HP sports car into a Prius.

Sean, I think you should produce both, or at least produce the stealth kit as requested.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I think this is a legit issue to be raised whether here or on grounding kit threads.

If I'm selling a product (e.g., a new pain medicine, new technology, improved methods for building muscle mass or losing weight) that many claim produces certain results, and others dispute it, then it's incumbent on me to produce evidence to its' efficacy.

Any respectable business will do this to have long term success w/o having others intervene on their behalf.

Last edited by Braintree; 02-26-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well after I buy a new shift **** (mine broke) count me in for the stealth kit. I want to keep everything sleeper. I am lowered on stock 18's and plan on keeping the sleeper look throughout my whole build.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
i had sean's V1 kit and definitely noticed a difference. it was noticeable the day he installed it, and it was noticeable the day i had to remove it for the wire tuck.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Feeler: SxExCx V2 Grounding Kit (STEALTH)