Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Humming Sound at Idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Humming Sound at Idle

Guys... I picked up my 05 G35 Sedan 3 weeks ago.... im noticing that there is a humming sound that comes at idle. It will be there for 2-3 seconds and then disappear.... but will come back in cycles. Is it Normal for this engine??? I just had the oil changed and was hoping it will go away but its still there.

I also hear a hydraulic release sound when i first start driving in the morning.... no matter if the AC is on or off. Any idea what thats from??

If I take it to the dealer.... are there any issues that I should address with them???

Thanks.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by infini_
Guys... I picked up my 05 G35 Sedan 3 weeks ago.... im noticing that there is a humming sound that comes at idle. It will be there for 2-3 seconds and then disappear.... but will come back in cycles. Is it Normal for this engine??? I just had the oil changed and was hoping it will go away but its still there.

I also hear a hydraulic release sound when i first start driving in the morning.... no matter if the AC is on or off. Any idea what thats from??

If I take it to the dealer.... are there any issues that I should address with them???

Thanks.
I can't say what the humming at idle would be - I don't recall ever hearing anything like that.
The other sound you hear when you first drive away is the ABS self test. It's a soft "sproiiiiiinnng" sound when you first reach 3 or 4 mph, completely normal.

Last edited by Coach; 10-12-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
sounds like you are hearing the electric fuel pump.yours might just be a little noisier then most.the fuel pump is under the pass side rear seat,while the car is running put your ear on the seat and see if the noise is from that area.

Last edited by superchargedg; 10-12-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:30 PM
I will check for the fuel pump.... but its more like the ABS sound

usual_suspect... if its the ABS... I will have to live with it.... but that will suck big time.... cuz that irritates the heck outta me.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I will check for the fuel pump.... but its more like the ABS sound

usual_suspect... if its the ABS... I will have to live with it.... but that will suck big time.... cuz that irritates the heck outta me.
If it's the ABS self test it shouldn't bug you too much, it's barely audible.
If it's loud enough to "suck", it must be something else.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:20 PM

Thanks.
I get this too when I start my car ('03/5AT). It then disappears after a couple of seconds. It bothers the hell out of me. Anyone have a more definitive answer?

Old 12-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Can you tell where the humming is coming from? like the front or the back of the car? Ive been getting a buzz when my car warms up

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by bfan13
Can you tell where the humming is coming from? like the front or the back of the car? Ive been getting a buzz when my car warms up
I think it's coming from the front passenger side. It happens when I warm up the car in the morning as well. I think the way I'd describe it is it kinda sounds like a low but high-pitched Chewbacca wail (or whimper)...

Old 01-16-2007, 01:29 PM
I also have this problem. '04 G35 C APS TT. The sound I hear is after the car has been sitting and is cool. It sounds like a tea kettle slowly building pressure occuring between 2k-3.5k rpm in any gear. If you put your foot into the clutch the sound drops out. I have had it into the dealer on several occasions, even leaving it with the service manager to drive home, and they have not figured out what it is. Not the fuel pump. Does you 'humming' occur under similar condidtions?

Old 03-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by AZG35TT
I also have this problem. '04 G35 C APS TT. The sound I hear is after the car has been sitting and is cool. It sounds like a tea kettle slowly building pressure occuring between 2k-3.5k rpm in any gear. If you put your foot into the clutch the sound drops out. I have had it into the dealer on several occasions, even leaving it with the service manager to drive home, and they have not figured out what it is. Not the fuel pump. Does you 'humming' occur under similar condidtions?
Your radiator has an air bubble. Check the coolant and make sure its upto the mark.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:06 AM
Lowered, exhaust, intake, cat back exhaust
Buzzing Sound #$$#@

Thanks.
Buzzzing sound #@$#$
The buzzing sound for me comes from the belts or the pulleys the belts are on. Almost sounds electrical, that was the first thought i had when i heard it. Checked the engine and found the sound coming from the belts.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:46 PM
Stock 05 G35, beater of an automatic
Originally Posted by Number8401
Buzzzing sound #@$#$
The buzzing sound for me comes from the belts or the pulleys the belts are on. Almost sounds electrical, that was the first thought i had when i heard it. Checked the engine and found the sound coming from the belts.
Hey from the distant future guys, my 05 35 auto is making that same distinguished humming/buzzing, usually now always present, and was hoping y'all have the Veteran's fix. When you say coming from the belts are you referring to the actual bearings? The only time I hear sounds like this one are when belt accessories (most often water pump) are about to freakin' literally implode!!! 😂😅 Last thing I need in my busy work schedule is to dig down dang near to the Piston heads! Help appreciated thanks guys.
-Austin B

Old 12-11-2019, 11:13 AM
Received 78 Likes on 76 Posts
g35X 4dr sedan
My 05 sedan had sort of a buzzing/whirring sound that it would make on initial start up towards the right front of the engine that turned out to be the alternator belt idler pulley(I was afraid it was the camchain tensioner). Replaced it and the a/c idler for good measure, problem solved. O'Reilly's had them in Gates.