Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

HELP PLEASE!!!Car turns over but won't start

Old 10-10-2010, 03:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP PLEASE!!!Car turns over but won't start

I had my engine replaced and when it was put in, it ran rough for like a min then shut off.Now all the car does is turn over but wont start, brought it to Nissan and it's not throwing any codes, they checked the flywheel, and they cant seem to figure out why its not starting.They say its not getting any spark, could the ECM be bad or could it be a cam sensor, or something else Nissan/me are missing??? Please if anyone knows what could be wrong let me know asap...thank you

Old 10-10-2010, 04:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check your maf sensor make sure it's plugged in. I'd start with the obvious simple things first like making sure everything is plugged in and connected..

Old 10-10-2010, 06:05 AM
yeah that was done by the shop that installed the engine and now nissan...its something that wouldnt throw a code and something that would cause it not to get spark

Old 10-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
I had this happen on my old Volvo a couple of times, so I learned to follow a linear process of elimination that likely applies here-- an engine needs 4 basic things to start:

1) sufficient cranking speed,
2) good compression,
3) adequate ignition voltage (with correct timing), and
4) fuel (a relatively rich air/fuel mixture initially).

90% of the time it's one of these. A non-functioning MAF sensor I think will allow your engine to work, but it will be rough, it did on my car.

Now comes the linear process of elimination, we know it cranks so we can eliminate that process (unless the cranking is too slow, at which point you'd begin looking at the battery).

Move next to ignition, fuel or compression issues. If it ran before, begin looking at the fuel pump, ignition module or timing of overhead crank. Ignition is easy to check with a spark tester or just position a plug wire near a good ground. No spark? Now you know where to take your focus.

If the module isn't working, most of the time it's broken, corroded or has loose terminals. If these all look fine, but still you're not getting the output, look at the the crankshaft position sensor, check the sensor's reference voltage (VRef) and ground (I'm not sure how this works on our cars). The sensor must have ~5 volts (I think) or it will remain permanently off and not generate a crank signal (which should set a fault code). I don't know how much you know about cars, so I'll leave it at that for now and if you have more questions, write in.

If the engine turns and you have spark, check for fuel-- is the fuel pump working? Are the lines clear? Was it properly connected? Is there pressure on the lines? If the answer is no to pressure when the key is on, check for a failed fuel pump, pump relay, fuse or wiring problem. Sometimes something as simple as really bad gas can cause you car to not start or ride extremely rough and finally shut down.

Forgot to mention, are the injectors all working? Do you hear that clicking or buzzing sound from all of them? A defective ECU may not be driving the injectors, or the EFI power supply relay may have turned belly up. Some EFI-systems rely on input from the camshaft position sensor to generate the injector pulses (not sure if this is how it works for our cars, maybe someone else can better answer this one). Loss of this signal could prevent the system from functioning.

With all that being said, something as simple as a massive vacuum leak can keep the engine from starting-- it can lean out the air/fuel ratio to such an extent that the mixture won't ignite. An EGR valve that is stuck on open, a disconnected PCV hose, loose vacuum hose for the power brake booster, or similar leak could be the culprit. Check all vacuum connections and listen for unusual sucking or whistling noises while cranking.

An engine that has fuel and spark, no serious vacuum leaks and cranks normally should start, if not, move to compression issues, although this seems unlikely since your engine was just changed and I'd assume that the timing chain was working well.

There are so many variables, but all I did was just walk you thru my very crude process of elimination steps. These steps work with my ancient Volvo, but I'm not sure how effective they would be on the G. The engineering is identical, the fine tuning and electronics is not so much so.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

PS: Just realized you've had it seen by the Nissan tech, so I might just be repeating the steps he/she will follow.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 AM
thank you so much for your help, nissan seems to thinks its either one of the cam sensors or the ECM is bad..a friend of mine has an 05 sedan that he is letting them take apart so they can try all the cam sensors to see if 1 or more is bad.they said that its not getting spark and no injector pulse, so I hope they can figure it out soon.I have been without my car for almost 2 months now,nobody seems to be able to figure out whats wrong with it

Originally Posted by Infiniti Chica
I had this happen on my old Volvo a couple of times, so I learned to follow a linear process of elimination that likely applies here-- an engine needs 4 basic things to start:

1) sufficient cranking speed,
2) good compression,
3) adequate ignition voltage (with correct timing), and
4) fuel (a relatively rich air/fuel mixture initially).

90% of the time it's one of these. A non-functioning MAF sensor I think will allow your engine to work, but it will be rough, it did on my car.

Now comes the linear process of elimination, we know it cranks so we can eliminate that process (unless the cranking is too slow, at which point you'd begin looking at the battery).

Move next to ignition, fuel or compression issues. If it ran before, begin looking at the fuel pump, ignition module or timing of overhead crank. Ignition is easy to check with a spark tester or just position a plug wire near a good ground. No spark? Now you know where to take your focus.

If the module isn't working, most of the time it's broken, corroded or has loose terminals. If these all look fine, but still you're not getting the output, look at the the crankshaft position sensor, check the sensor's reference voltage (VRef) and ground (I'm not sure how this works on our cars). The sensor must have ~5 volts (I think) or it will remain permanently off and not generate a crank signal (which should set a fault code). I don't know how much you know about cars, so I'll leave it at that for now and if you have more questions, write in.

If the engine turns and you have spark, check for fuel-- is the fuel pump working? Are the lines clear? Was it properly connected? Is there pressure on the lines? If the answer is no to pressure when the key is on, check for a failed fuel pump, pump relay, fuse or wiring problem. Sometimes something as simple as really bad gas can cause you car to not start or ride extremely rough and finally shut down.

Forgot to mention, are the injectors all working? Do you hear that clicking or buzzing sound from all of them? A defective ECU may not be driving the injectors, or the EFI power supply relay may have turned belly up. Some EFI-systems rely on input from the camshaft position sensor to generate the injector pulses (not sure if this is how it works for our cars, maybe someone else can better answer this one). Loss of this signal could prevent the system from functioning.

With all that being said, something as simple as a massive vacuum leak can keep the engine from starting-- it can lean out the air/fuel ratio to such an extent that the mixture won't ignite. An EGR valve that is stuck on open, a disconnected PCV hose, loose vacuum hose for the power brake booster, or similar leak could be the culprit. Check all vacuum connections and listen for unusual sucking or whistling noises while cranking.

An engine that has fuel and spark, no serious vacuum leaks and cranks normally should start, if not, move to compression issues, although this seems unlikely since your engine was just changed and I'd assume that the timing chain was working well.

There are so many variables, but all I did was just walk you thru my very crude process of elimination steps. These steps work with my ancient Volvo, but I'm not sure how effective they would be on the G. The engineering is identical, the fine tuning and electronics is not so much so.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

PS: Just realized you've had it seen by the Nissan tech, so I might just be repeating the steps he/she will follow.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Just curious, but why do you have VRT in your name?

Old 10-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Canadian
Just curious, but why do you have VRT in your name?
Velocity Race Team

Old 12-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Did you ever sort this problem? I have the same sort of problem.

I can get my car to run on Aerostart. I can manually run my injectors and the car runs.

It seems as though everything is running bar the injector pulse....this has got me stumped.....I have spend the last 7 day's checking every possible cause!

Any help would be awesome.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Banned
Just curious, but why do you have jetwreck in your name?

Old 12-09-2010, 05:51 PM
lol......got it from Jetski's originally....I now use it for my avatar on Forum's and the PS3!......no other reason!

Why so curious??....lol

Old 12-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned
haha cuz i just like to learn something new everyday. thats pretty dope tho. so what games you play on the ps3? any cod?

Old 12-09-2010, 06:06 PM
MW2....not getting into Black op's as I want my life back....and GT5.

but done no PS3 over the last 2 weeks as I have been trying to get my road car going again!

BTW....I am from Australia!

Old 12-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Banned
oh nice mate. haha i`ve met a lot of chill australian gamers on xbox live haha always get a good laugh session when we trash talk to the other team haha but nice. i think you are the first G owner I have seen on this forum.

and thats true man. haha i need my life back too so i have not even touched cod or halo for an entire month since i want to get my car looking sexy now

Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by jetwreck
Did you ever sort this problem? I have the same sort of problem.

I can get my car to run on Aerostart. I can manually run my injectors and the car runs.

It seems as though everything is running bar the injector pulse....this has got me stumped.....I have spend the last 7 day's checking every possible cause!

Any help would be awesome.
Nope the garage still has it and it still wont start, I have no idea what the problem is. I wish i knew someone near the CT area that is good with these cars and could come take a look at it.....

Old 12-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where is the car at. I'm in ct near groton. Talk soon mike

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE!!!Car turns over but won't start