Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Vortech s/c what fuel + supporting mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 04:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vortech s/c what fuel + supporting mods

Hi guys, just picked up a g35c as a dd a week or so ago and just have a couple general questions

It has the vortech kit on it (guessing the full kit and not the tuner kit otherwise the seller would have mentioned it.) anyways, haven't put fuel in it yet because I'm not sure what to get.

The manual for the vortech kit says to use minimum 91 octane fuel. (What the previous owner also used.) I'm one of those people though who likes to go a little above bare minimum so I was wondering which of these fuels available to me is a better choice:

91 octane with no ethanol
94 octane with "up to 10% ethanol"

Also, being new to the vq platform, I'm just wondering if there are any supporting mods that can be considered "reliability mods" to the vortech kit as we call them in my native territory of rotary land. Over there, opening up the exhaust is good because it lowers underwood temps so I'm wondering if deleting cats and getting some kind of aftermarket exhaust actually provides a reliability benefit or just a power benefit.

The other thing I learned with rotaries is that to be safe, any mod should merit a retune. Ie changing the exhaust flow characteristics. If I built myself an exhaust to replace the cats and cat back, would I need a retune or is the vortech map still useable and reliable?

Old 07-11-2015, 01:14 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
94 octane and exhaust should not require a retune.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:22 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
95% chance the tune is based on 91 octane. Running anything over that is pointless and waste of money.

Any exhaust changes will not require a retune for safety, but you wont maximize gains for mods without one.

Do you know if it is a V2 or V3 kit? With any luck you have a V3. For reliability just check oil periodically. Only mod I would suggest to increase reliability would be an oil cooler, especially if you have a V2. They are cheap too, usually about $400.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
95% chance the tune is based on 91 octane. Running anything over that is pointless and waste of money.
Any exhaust changes will not require a retune for safety, but you wont maximize gains for mods without one.
Do you know if it is a V2 or V3 kit? With any luck you have a V3. For reliability just check oil periodically. Only mod I would suggest to increase reliability would be an oil cooler, especially if you have a V2. They are cheap too, usually about $400.
Driver doesn't have a LIKE IT button like Facebook but it needs one for posts like this ^ fact!
Gary