Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Supercharger build? Injectors, Fuel Return ARP L19, retune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:18 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Supercharger build? Injectors, Fuel Return ARP L19, retune?

Hey everyone,

I'm in the middle of a build for my 04 G35 coupe. The car was slightly modded with an OEM Z-tube, plenum spacer, rev-up airbox, and an Uprev tune. I replaced my exhaust with a motordyne TDX2, but did not get it retuned. Car still ran fine since I had OEM cats.

Since I'm doing a rebuild, I figured I'd upgrade the internals as well. I'm not going turbo since I'm going for longevity and the shops around would prefer to stay the SC route. I was looking the GTM kit for the DE, but it seems like everyone is still pointing in the direction of the vortech. Plus, the GTM is much more expensive.

Ok, so since the engine will be built...I will need to break it in first. I plan to add the supercharger since its more cost effective with the engine out. I just don't know how I would run it to break the engine in. I wouldn't want to push it now. I thought maybe I could just not connect a belt and run NA until the engine is ready. The only problem is I planned on added some supporting mods but I'm not sure how my existing Uprev tune will handle what I will be running. The tune is already set to run what I listed in my first sentence. The only difference is that I will be running the following items:

Cosworth 10:3 cr pistons
Eagle rods
Stock cams with Brian crower valves, springs, retainers, and guides
Vortech V-3 2.87 pulley (Probably Si trim, but not sure at the moment)
Injector Dynamics 725cc
Aeromotive 340 Fuel pump
Uprev MAF GT
CJM or AAM return fuel system (stage 0 or 1) What would be best?
Twin clutch...undecided on brand but not something too expensive. Suggestions?
SPEC steel flywheel
Koyo Radiator

Basically, can I run the above items with the tune that I already have on my ECU without problems, for the break-in period? How long is a break-in on a built engine?

Also, are ARP L19s necessary for my build? I don't even know if I can get them anywhere anyway. I don't know what numbers to expect from my build. I'm guessing 450-550hp at the wheels.

Mainly concerned with driveablity and reliabilty. Not shooting for super high hp numbers and this is my daily driver.

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
id love to know the answer to this , soiunds almost identical to my build

Old 01-18-2015, 11:07 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
With the larger injectors i would say you would want a retune. You could just send in your current tune and get an "Etune" to get you close for the break in period till the real dyno tune. Just stay out of boost.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:22 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Any way to run with stock injectors and the SC attached? My tuner is 45 minutes away from me, I'd like to avoid towing my car there. I don't mind getting there early to swap injectors/intake pipes or belts etc.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:31 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
Yes, just disconnect the cog belt so that you're not spinning the blower - the car will run N/A as normal. I'd put a small filter on the bypass valve though to avoid anything crawling / getting sucked in there. Install the cog belt and swap injectors at the tuner.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:56 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by bigc
Yes, just disconnect the cog belt so that you're not spinning the blower - the car will run N/A as normal. I'd put a small filter on the bypass valve though to avoid anything crawling / getting sucked in there. Install the cog belt and swap injectors at the tuner.
Hmm do I need to disconnect the supercharger charge pipe or just throw the stock maf into the vortech housing and leave the intercooler attached? Seems odd to do that.

Or do I have to disconnect the charge pipe, and run the stock intake with stock housing and sensor? Both assuming the cog belt has been removed.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:03 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
install every part of the kit, just disconnect the cog belt.