Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

DIY Body Control Module Replacment ( BCM )

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Received 105 Likes on 13 Posts
DIY Body Control Module Replacment ( BCM )

Intro:
This is a DIY for all of you who want/need to replace your BCM. This covers specifically 2003 G35 Coupes. It may be similar on other years and models.

Tools Required:
A simple socket set and a few screwdrivers.

Symptoms:
My car would periodically not start. It would just crank and crank, but not start. During these no-start conditions, the NATS would activate and the red security LED on the dash would light solid. At this point, the car would go into a crank but no start condition. Letting it sit, or lightly tapping on the ignition column would sometimes snap the car out of this condition, and it would start and run perfectly. The car stayed like this for over a year. Eventually, things got worse and it wouldn't not start at all no matter what I did, or how long I waited. This condition turned into the car becoming literally possessed. I would turn the ignition key to the run position and the the bright lights would flash intermittently, the wipers would come on, the dash lights would flash, and all kinds of other crazy things would happen. Also, I couldn't turn off the headlights or wipers once the key was in the run position.

Lastly, the car would store a P1610 code "lock mode".

BCM Replacment Procedure:
1) Pull the codes on your car if present https://g35driver.com/forums/5765264-post4.html

2) Using the service manual diagnostic procedures, confirm the BCM is actually bad http://www.psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/coupe/2003/bl.pdf

3) If you believe the module is in fact bad, remove it. Disconnect your battery before removing the BCM. To remove the BCM, locate it on the driver side of the car under the lower left kick panel. You will have to remove a few trim pieces by hand. Once the trim is gone and the BCM is visible, remove the 10mm bolts securing it. This is a pic from a 350Z, but you get the idea

4) Wait to disconnect the plugs from the BCM until after it is loose. By doing this, you can move the BCM to get at some of the plugs that are hard to reach. You will also have to remove the bracket that secures it to the car, along with part of a fuse panel. Remove the plugs going to the fuse panel. Below is the BCM and fuse panel removed. Note, this is actually the BCM out of a 2004 G35 coupe.

5) Now, remove the BCM from the holding bracket. There are little metal tabs holding the bracket to the BCM's plastic housing. Release the tabs and the BCM will slide out of the bracket. Here is a pic of the BCM out of my 03' G coupe after it was removed from the holding bracket.

6) If you haven't noticed by now, BCMs ARE NOT THE SAME FOR ALL MODELS/YEARS!!! Do not buy a new BCM until you have removed your old one. BEWARE! Places like Ebay list many BCMs as fitting cars that they actually are not compatible with. Make it easy on yourself and wait to buy a BCM until you have removed your old one. Look at the part number on your BCM, and use that to find a new one. You see the part number for my BCM is 284B1 AM810. If the part number for the replacement part you are purchasing doesn't match, don't buy it!

Below shows how a 2003 and 2004 BCM can be completely different.
Example of a 2004 BCM:

Example of a 2003 BCM:

7) After you have a replacement BCM, install it in the car by reversing the removal procedure. Reconnect your battery, and attempt to start your car. The NATS should trip, and the car should not start. At this point, if you are still experiencing any other issues that you had before like described above (like wipers and headlights going crazy) then the BCM was not the problem. If your car is acting normal, and will crank but not start, chances are you have fixed the issue.

8) Here's the part of the DYI that isn't DYI. You have to reprogram the new BCM to recognize your key. You have a few options:

-Go grab your CONSULT-II out of the garage and program the car (If this is you baller, STOP READING. Have your G35 towed to the stealership and trade it in for a GTR.)

-Tow the car to the stealership and have them program the car. (I would not recommend thi$)

-Call a mobile locksmith and have them come out to program the car. (I would recommend this)

I called a locksmith and had them come out to program the BCM. They showed up and programmed the car in under 30 min for under $150 bucks. Make sure when you are choosing a locksmith, that they have the ability to program your car. Make sure you actually talk to a tech who will be doing the work. Many times, you will talk to dispatchers who don't know a damn thing. Some places will send someone out when they don't even have the equipment to do the job, and then still try and make you pay a service charge. Do your research before you pay someone to do this, because not all locksmiths have the ability to program your BCM. After the locksmith programs the new BCM to recognize the key, you should be all good.

Last edited by Silver tiburon; 09-04-2013 at 04:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Silver tiburon:
Blue Dream (09-02-2013), got_boost99 (11-01-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 04:58 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Holy hell this is a great DIY, thanks so much!!!

Old 04-18-2015, 05:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the DIY,

I know that the car will not start after the swap, But my question is;

Will other accessories work, specially the interior lights, and keyfob ???

Old 07-16-2015, 03:51 AM
Please help

Hey guys I've cooked sum resistors on my bcm circuit board and i'm havin dramas finding a replacement with a matching part number :/ I have an 03 coupe n I found a few that have the same plugs n it says they suit the 03 model coupe but I'm a little confused.. The part number on the 1 i removed is 284B1CD410.. The part number on the 1s I'm looking 2 buy are 284B1 AM820 and 284B1AM600.. Does any1 know the difference??

Old 07-16-2015, 06:07 PM
Received 105 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not sure of the difference. I think your best bet would be to contact your local dealer, and see if the parts department can give you that information.

If they can't, they should at least be able to tell you if one of the other part numbers you listed is compatible with your car. Whatever you do, make sure the sockets are at least the same as the module you removed from the vehicle.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:44 PM
Received 211 Likes on 179 Posts
Thanks for this. I am tracking a P1065 code. Looking at getting a new BCM and a New ECM. Then maybe go grab a new ECU... We will see. Replacing my Spark plugs and a coil pack later today hoping that will help.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:49 AM
Unhappy I have almost same issue with my fx35 2007 model.

My fx starts and drives normally, but once the car is running or on AC, the parking light doesn't turn off, the front wipers doesn't turn on (except for the rear one), the fog lights and full headlights doesn't turn on, the rear glass heat defogger doesn't turn on. When the fault started, it was fluctuating from the good working mode to producing all these faults, until finally it got stucked on these faults mode. I was told it's the BCM but not sure. But from the Infiniti bulletin, all these electrical parts are controlled by the BCM. Do you think my BCM is bad?

Old 06-04-2017, 05:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great guide, good point about the BCM's being different depending on year and model. While working for a couple of dealers of the years I saw people source their own BCM, PCM, etc. Then freak out when it won't work and have to pay the diag, usually the module wasn't returnable either after being unpackaged and "installed"

I need to get a multimeter and make sure i'm getting good continuity at my BCM, car recognizes the fob during synchronization of the fob but then never holds it and the remote locks don't work. Sometimes at random the DRL's will start flashing, absolutely random and nothing seems to trigger it or stop it, has happened a few times not and is not a fluke. Could also be a bad relay or contactor though.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:06 PM
Smile where can i buy a good bcm

I need to buy a BCM, because the back lights and the one on my board do not light.

who gives me the secure website link where I can buy my bcm?

Old 09-10-2017, 02:09 PM
the symptoms my car has are that it does not turn on the dashboard lights, and the taillights

Old 09-10-2017, 05:14 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If you have followed the troubleshooting steps in the FSM to determine the root cause is actually the BCM then you can purchase through a couple Infiniti dealers with an online storefront. I personally prefer infinitipartsonline.com, other options include eBay if you don't mind used but be sure to verify the part number on the sticker before purchase.

Local wrecking yards are also an option as well as a local Nissan/Infiniti dealership.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:37 AM
g35
bcm??

Originally Posted by Silver tiburon
Intro:
This is a DIY for all of you who want/need to replace your BCM. This covers specifically 2003 G35 Coupes. It may be similar on other years and models.

Tools Required:
A simple socket set and a few screwdrivers.

Symptoms:
My car would periodically not start. It would just crank and crank, but not start. During these no-start conditions, the NATS would activate and the red security LED on the dash would light solid. At this point, the car would go into a crank but no start condition. Letting it sit, or lightly tapping on the ignition column would sometimes snap the car out of this condition, and it would start and run perfectly. The car stayed like this for over a year. Eventually, things got worse and it wouldn't not start at all no matter what I did, or how long I waited. This condition turned into the car becoming literally possessed. I would turn the ignition key to the run position and the the bright lights would flash intermittently, the wipers would come on, the dash lights would flash, and all kinds of other crazy things would happen. Also, I couldn't turn off the headlights or wipers once the key was in the run position.

Lastly, the car would store a P1610 code "lock mode".

BCM Replacment Procedure:
1) Pull the codes on your car if present https://g35driver.com/forums/5765264-post4.html

2) Using the service manual diagnostic procedures, confirm the BCM is actually bad http://www.psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/coupe/2003/bl.pdf

3) If you believe the module is in fact bad, remove it. Disconnect your battery before removing the BCM. To remove the BCM, locate it on the driver side of the car under the lower left kick panel. You will have to remove a few trim pieces by hand. Once the trim is gone and the BCM is visible, remove the 10mm bolts securing it. This is a pic from a 350Z, but you get the idea

4) Wait to disconnect the plugs from the BCM until after it is loose. By doing this, you can move the BCM to get at some of the plugs that are hard to reach. You will also have to remove the bracket that secures it to the car, along with part of a fuse panel. Remove the plugs going to the fuse panel. Below is the BCM and fuse panel removed. Note, this is actually the BCM out of a 2004 G35 coupe.

5) Now, remove the BCM from the holding bracket. There are little metal tabs holding the bracket to the BCM's plastic housing. Release the tabs and the BCM will slide out of the bracket. Here is a pic of the BCM out of my 03' G coupe after it was removed from the holding bracket.

6) If you haven't noticed by now, BCMs ARE NOT THE SAME FOR ALL MODELS/YEARS!!! Do not buy a new BCM until you have removed your old one. BEWARE! Places like Ebay list many BCMs as fitting cars that they actually are not compatible with. Make it easy on yourself and wait to buy a BCM until you have removed your old one. Look at the part number on your BCM, and use that to find a new one. You see the part number for my BCM is 284B1 AM810. If the part number for the replacement part you are purchasing doesn't match, don't buy it!

Below shows how a 2003 and 2004 BCM can be completely different.
Example of a 2004 BCM:

Example of a 2003 BCM:

7) After you have a replacement BCM, install it in the car by reversing the removal procedure. Reconnect your battery, and attempt to start your car. The NATS should trip, and the car should not start. At this point, if you are still experiencing any other issues that you had before like described above (like wipers and headlights going crazy) then the BCM was not the problem. If your car is acting normal, and will crank but not start, chances are you have fixed the issue.

8) Here's the part of the DYI that isn't DYI. You have to reprogram the new BCM to recognize your key. You have a few options:

-Go grab your CONSULT-II out of the garage and program the car (If this is you baller, STOP READING. Have your G35 towed to the stealership and trade it in for a GTR.)

-Tow the car to the stealership and have them program the car. (I would not recommend thi$)

-Call a mobile locksmith and have them come out to program the car. (I would recommend this)

I called a locksmith and had them come out to program the BCM. They showed up and programmed the car in under 30 min for under $150 bucks. Make sure when you are choosing a locksmith, that they have the ability to program your car. Make sure you actually talk to a tech who will be doing the work. Many times, you will talk to dispatchers who don't know a damn thing. Some places will send someone out when they don't even have the equipment to do the job, and then still try and make you pay a service charge. Do your research before you pay someone to do this, because not all locksmiths have the ability to program your BCM. After the locksmith programs the new BCM to recognize the key, you should be all good.

hey i’m trying to see if my bcm is bad i have power going into and out of it but nothing for head light or turn signals but when i jumó the headlight relay to ground headlights come on