Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

03 auto trans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 auto trans

Hello guys I just bought my g35 not too long ago. When my car is cold (and yes I warm it up a bit) when I put it on Drive some times it takes about 3 seconds to catch first gear. I was thinking ATF but is the dip stick for it hidden some where Lol. Any thoughts I know its not too major of an issue but I been taking real good care of the car. The car has 72k miles not sure how long ago previous owner changed fluids.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
This is a big deal...you want to head off transmission problems as soon as possible. I'd take the car in for service ASAP or at least check the AT fluid level. The dipstick is located between the firewall and the rear passenger side of the intake manifold. You'll see a random pipe sticking straight up from the rear of the motor that has a cap on top. The cap actually has the dipstick attached to it. Unscrew the cap using a 10mm socket to get the reading - follow the procedure in the service manual (see attached) or SEARCH on here for a guide on checking automatic transmission fluid.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ATF.pdf (83.4 KB, 204 views)
Old 01-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by bigc
This is a big deal...you want to head off transmission problems as soon as possible. I'd take the car in for service ASAP or at least check the AT fluid level. The dipstick is located between the firewall and the rear passenger side of the intake manifold. You'll see a random pipe sticking straight up from the rear of the motor that has a cap on top. The cap actually has the dipstick attached to it. Unscrew the cap using a 10mm socket to get the reading - follow the procedure in the service manual (see attached) or SEARCH on here for a guide on checking automatic transmission fluid.
thanks man. I had two questions of u would happen to know. How often should the ATF be changed. And when I drain my fluid do I use the 10mm cap where to check the reading to fill it back up?

Old 01-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by SugarShawn
thanks man. I had two questions of u would happen to know. How often should the ATF be changed. And when I drain my fluid do I use the 10mm cap where to check the reading to fill it back up?
you do use that "checking hole" to refill it.

Personally, I change my fluid every 30k miles (first change at 60k miles)

Also, I do randomly have that 3 seconds to change to 1st gear gear about 4 times a year.. that's been happening for past 5 years or .. so no big deal? maybe.. my car runs fine and I definitely don't beat on it.

Last edited by joedaddy1; 01-04-2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: english is my 8th language.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by SugarShawn
Change interval will depend on how hot your transmission fluid gets on a regular basis (heat kills its properties) - if you live in a hot area and get stuck in traffic often, you should change it more often. Anyway, check the factory service manual for the interval on a drain & fill - I think 30k miles is reasonable. If it were my car, I'd do a drain & fill right now since you just bought it.

And, yes, the tube where the dipstick goes is also the filler tube. If you haven't changed the fluid yourself before I'd take it to the stealership the first time. After that, when you do a drain & fill, just be sure to put back the exact same amount that drained out.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys I will be visiting the "stealership" asap lol

Old 01-23-2014, 12:56 PM
I got my transmission serviced.. its still taking about 3 seconds to slip into first on cold starts. Any ideas? Should I be worried

Old 01-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Bump. Also I notice a soft clicking noise I believe coming from the Trans at a dead stop while in drive. But like I said I just got it serviced and I have no issues once the car is going.