Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Car running poorly, no CEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 01:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car running poorly, no CEL

Hey guys,

The car is an 03 auto sedan, completely bone stock with about 250xxxKM on it. Last week the car was running really rough a week after getting my belts and alternator replaced. It was stuttering and shaking pretty bad, felt like when you're driving a standard and let the clutch out too much without giving it gas and that shake you feel before it stalls. The car didn't throw any codes or anything. It didn't always do it though and it would sometimes go away. One time when I was driving the CEL started flashing but then stopped and went away.

The next day I went to the dealership and bought OEM spark plugs to replace the old ones, figured I'd start there. The car was running alright for about a week until earlier today. It started shaking again at idle and when I was on the accelerator pedal but if I took my foot off the accelerator and just let it coast, the shaking would stop. At a light I threw it into neutral to see if it was my tranny and it continued. Seemed to hesitate going from idle to 1500rpm when I go from a light.

Stopped at home to record this video and noticed the exhaust was sort of sputtering. It's -21 degrees Celsius here so I can see the exhaust and it seems like there's more exhaust gas coming out of the tail pipe. It might also be in my head but I think I'm getting bad mileage. I filled up earlier and got about 50KM between 1/8 and 1/4 tank from full. Kept driving and then the shaking eventually stopped. Still no CEL

Here's the video, you might have to turn up your speakers to hear the sound though. It's a bad cell phone video.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i guess i have the same problem
does your car go fast?cause mine goes max 80mph and it takes me about 1min to go 40mph

Old 02-07-2014, 02:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't actually try to take it that fast. My idle is steady when it happens, just the car shakes. Was happening pretty bad today earlier tonight while driving about 50mph but went away after a while

Hope someone can help us out

Old 02-07-2014, 03:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a pretty bad misfire to me. You said that the plugs were just replaced, so those can be ruled out. Perhaps it's a weak/bad coilpack?