Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Burning smell and smoke: Oil leak onto headers?

Old 03-31-2014, 05:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Burning smell and smoke: Oil leak onto headers?

Hey guys,
For a while now (since the new engine) I've noticed a very much visible cloud of smoke arising from my engine bay after parking the car for a week or so. The smoke eventually dies down but a burning smell seldom does. WOT almost always makes the smell noticeable, windows down or up. This is a 35k mile VQ35DE replacement engine that had been sitting for a while and my shop overfilled the oil to the point where it was sending smoke out my exhaust like a Blue Angels jet, but it was quickly fixed. I know that to much fluids can blow seals and it appears as if the head gasket is leaking oil onto the right header and causing it to burn the oil. The smoke being caused from the buildup over several days. But honestly I can't be certain this is the case, if this is an important issue that needs to be addressed soon, or if I can boost my car as planned in the next few weeks. Power feels quite sluggish until 4k rpm as well. Any advice or paste experience would be much appreciated!