Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Oil Additives

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
When we are talking about petrol the increase in octane by (R+M)/2 Method all we are protecting against is knock. An engine running a higher octane fuel is much less likely to knock (true story).

As for oil,
"...Synthetic motor oils are manufactured specifically to withstand severe conditions that conventional motor oils sometimes cannot take. Synthetic motor oils are much more viscous and reduce wear and friction much better. Because of the higher viscosity of synthetic motor oil, engines can run cooler as a result of less friction..." For the same weight in oil.
"Synthetic oils have been formulated to resist foaming, which can be a problem with hot conventional motor oils."

Try running a heavier oil.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:29 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Dino oil worked fine until companys like AMSOIL perfected synthetic oil!

I can't believe some of you members are still using DINO oil and putting down quality synthetics! They run cooler, lubricate better and won't build up in your oil pan or heads like ancient gummy Dino oil does. I put 125K miles on my '92 Nissan 300ZXTT using Mobil1, that was 10 years ago and it's still on the road without issues driven every day using the same 10W30 Mobil1 synthetic!
Gary

Old 04-19-2014, 12:40 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
When we are talking about petrol the increase in octane by (R+M)/2 Method all we are protecting against is knock. An engine running a higher octane fuel is much less likely to knock (true story).

As for oil,
"...Synthetic motor oils are manufactured specifically to withstand severe conditions that conventional motor oils sometimes cannot take. Synthetic motor oils are much more viscous and reduce wear and friction much better. Because of the higher viscosity of synthetic motor oil, engines can run cooler as a result of less friction..." For the same weight in oil.
"Synthetic oils have been formulated to resist foaming, which can be a problem with hot conventional motor oils."

Try running a heavier oil.
I am by no means trying to compare benefits or downfalls of gas to oil. It was simply an anology to prove that some things are made for one thing and some things are made for another. I do agree that sheer metal to metal contact constitutes synthetic as the better player when it comes to lubrication. However, gaskets and rings being the variable, it may not necessarily be true that synthetic is better for the VQ35.

Nissan cut corners trying to produce a car that could be considered fantastic while still making it affordable. We all know that suspension parts took a hit; what's to say that gaskets weren't another area that took a hit to a point that they would recommend mineral oil (afterall valve cover gaskets have been.known to go fairly regularly)? Obviously I have no evidence to back that up other than the arguement that these aren't supercars and they may not have ever been expected to be treated as such. I'm actually gonna start a new thread to try to get some circumstantial evidence. Hopefully I'm wrong, but its just an idea.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:44 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
I can't believe some of you members are still using DINO oil and putting down quality synthetics! They run cooler, lubricate better and won't build up in your oil pan or heads like ancient gummy Dino oil does. I put 125K miles on my '92 Nissan 300ZXTT using Mobil1, that was 10 years ago and it's still on the road without issues driven every day using the same 10W30 Mobil1 synthetic!
Gary
I drove a dodge ram 50 with a busted head gasket with bars leak in the coolant system and 20/50 conventional for 3 yrs and almost 100k miles (on top of the 100k it had when I bought it) before I had to rip it apart, what's your point?

Old 04-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by shoult
By what? The synthetic hype? There are really great reasons to use it and good reasons not to. An engine that is consuming oil is a good reason not to.

And I've been through the rigamarole with another manufacturer about what is "acceptable" amount of usage.
I'm talking about thinking chronic oil consumption is normal. I don't know what their logic is, but that's junk. It's unfair to people who have engines at the bottom end of quality, cause every engine doesn't consume. This can not be a norm cause alot of people would have locked engines. It's a cheap way out excuse for whoever gets one of the manufacturers low end engines.

I think If ur loosing oil because of a bad sealing tolerance, synthetic will not help you as it will slip right through.

Last edited by JKL1031; 04-19-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:53 AM
Wait this guy asked about additives..

Old 04-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JKL1031
I'm talking about thinking chronic oil consumption is normal. I don't know what their logic is, but that's junk. It's unfair to people who have engines at the bottom end of quality, cause every engine doesn't consume. This can not be a norm cause alot of people would have locked engines. It's a cheap way out excuse for whoever gets one of the manufacturers low end engines.
I wasn't saying that excessive oil consumption was acceptable. I was saying that the manufacturers have all set what they deem to be acceptable limits. I had to deal with what I deemed to be excessive oil consumption on a new vehicle from another manufacturer nd after taking it through the ladder up to corporate their stance was that my vehicle was within manufacturers guidelines for oil usage and my claim was denied.

At least Nissan/Infiniti fessed up in this case and did try some fixes.

I think If ur loosing oil because of a bad sealing tolerance, synthetic will not help you as it will slip right through.
Again, this is exactly what I meant by Synthetics are good for some things and not others. A car that consumes oil is an example of something that Synthetics are not good for.

Wait this guy asked about additives..
Yep, which is why I replied with this in my first response in this thread

Originally Posted by shoult
1. There is no such thing as "Mechanic in a can". If you have problems with oil consumption, nothing in a can is going to help.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:31 PM
M5??

Old 04-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Well FWIW I went and got an oil change today with 5W-30 Synthetic Blend High Mileage. We'll see if that affects things at all and then go from there. On Wednesday I put in a half can of Sea Foam and my oil got noticeably dirtier between then and this morning. So it did some cleaning. I'm going to put the other half of the can in now and let it do it's thing until 3000 miles or when the oil is dirty again.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:18 PM
does it run better after seafoam?

Old 04-19-2014, 04:47 PM
does it run better after seafoam?
It's a little smoother, but it probably needs more time to really make a difference. But overall Seafoam is the bomb.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Once you switch to high mileage oil you are supposed to stay with it. You may want to read up on it.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by G35sedan6speed
Once you switch to high mileage oil you are supposed to stay with it. You may want to read up on it.
Shouldn't be a problem...I have 122,500 miles on my car so no arguments there

Old 04-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Our cars call for 91 octane. Putting a lower grade gasoline will work but at the risk of causing problems, that's what the knock sensors are for. I've driven a "G" after someone put 87 octane in and boy did it hesitate on the highway. As far as oils go. I'm running 10w-40 in my coupe during the spring, summer, and fall months and 5w-40 during the winter months. So far so good. One more thing. I don't consider taking good care of a car babying it. I don't plan on buying another coupe this one has to last a million miles or more. However, I am going to add a family sedan (Maserati Quattroporte) and an exotic sports car to round things out. Just my 2 cents. And, I drive mine hard every chance I get. Brooks out.

Last edited by Mr. Brooks; 04-19-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
Our cars call for 91 octane. Putting a lower grade gasoline will work but at the risk of causing problems, that's what the knock sensors are for. I've driven a "G" after someone put 87 octane in and boy did it hesitate on the highway. As far as oils go. I'm running 10w-40 in my coupe during the spring, summer, and fall months and 5w-40 during the winter months. So far so good. One more thing. I don't consider taking good care of a car babying it. I don't plan on buying another coupe this one has to last a million miles or more. However, I am going to add a family sedan (Maserati Quattroporte) and an exotic sports car to round things out. Just my 2 cents. And, I drive mine hard every chance I get. Brooks out.
I don't even know why we are still talking about gas here. But I agree with you on only putting in 91+.

When you think about it, going from regular to premium is maybe only a $3/tank difference. The fun factor alone is worth that, plus being nice to your car is important as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Additives