Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Need help getting my engine started

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help getting my engine started

Hello. First thing I've always used forums for help getting my vehicles started, since I was 15 trying to get my 1977 ford ranger going and now I'm hopping it helps me get my G going.

I bought my 2003 G35 sedan 6mt for $2000 with a engine knock. Was quoted $2000 for used engine and labor payed 600 down and a month later the mechanic had done nothing but took my engine out (cosson auto parts) that's the crack head mechanic here in Houston. Anyways went for my car with a tow truck and before I got home I stopped at auto zone bought a Haynes manual and decided to do the engine myself.
I do body work and paint with some sheet metal work and I'm a quick learned so I knew it wasn't something I couldn't handle.

Four days later my engine is in my car but I can't get it to start lol is there a extra fuel reset stepped I missed or anything I should look for first??

Attachment 170146

Attachment 170147
Need help getting my engine started-image.jpg

Last edited by Gn00b; 10-22-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My advise: Keep it simple
Does it crank over? If not, check battery, starter, starter wiring
If yes, engines need air, fuel and spark (ignition) to run. With key on make sure the fuel pump is turning on. These cars' pumps are pretty quiet but you can hear it. If not, check the fuse and relay.
Pull coils and make sure its sparking. If not, check the crank sensor. I'm not sure with these cars but usually you can crank the car and look at the Tach and see if its registering any RPM's. It can sometimes be a good indication if you're getting a crank sensor signal.
I usually assume its getting air but check anyways.
Check everywhere for bad wiring. Hack mechanics suck at disconnecting connectors, for some reason, so cutting wires are their plan B
A scan tool wouldn't be a bad idea too

Old 10-24-2014, 04:45 PM
:/

Thanks for the reply I was starting to think no one was going to respond lol

Okay so you said keep it simple and that's where I'm at.
1. It does crank over and strong just don't want to start.
2.fuel, it's gettint it I can tell because when I put the key in the "ON" position I can hear the pump, and also I took my spark plug off and they smelled like gas and were wet or gas no oil .
3, I put a test light on the (blue n white) wires going to every coil and they all have power, I didn't touch the other wires, I read that if I did so I would mess up my ecu so I didn't, instead to see if my spark plug is getting power from the coil I grabbed a spark plug test light hook one end to me spark plug and the other to the coil turn the key and no light.

That's were I'm at no codes, no security alarm and I'm using the original key.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:32 AM
You're welcome, I like to try to answer the posts that have little to no replies.
I hope I'm reading your post correctly. You have voltage at the coils (key on) but when it comes to trying to start the G your spark test light doesn't show the coil firing.
If so, I'd check your crank and cam sensors. Make sure they are getting power and ground. If you have a multimeter it will be better to know how much voltage they are getting, than a test light that just tells you that it's getting some voltage.
Is it a possibility that your flywheel is installed incorrectly? If it is off, your ECU has no idea when to fire the coils.

The following users liked this post:
Gn00b (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Need help getting my engine started-image.jpg
I installed my own flywheel and there's a guide sticking out of the crankshaft that has to be slid inside the flywheel I marked my flywheel and made sure it went in the same place I'll post a picture of that guide, still is there a way I can see if I installed it wrong?

I have a multimeter tester by any chance do you know the readings I'm supposed to get for crank/ cam sensors?

Once again thanks for the reply I been with out my car for 2 months now :/
Guys at work are talking about dropping a 350 in it lol

Old 10-25-2014, 11:50 PM
Went to autozone bought a crankshaft sensor still nothing.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sometimes these issues can be something so simple. As stated above by shermcs keep it simple and look at the obvious things. Did you replace your spark plugs? Still try hooking up a scanner to look for any check engine light codes.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:44 AM
If you lined up the flywheel dowel, I believe it is on right. I don't know what the ECU pins are but you could check continuity between the sensor connector and the ECU.
I hope it isn't your ECU... I don't have a diagram right now. I'll try to dig one up online and see what pins to check. But if the ECU is malfunctioning it may be getting a crank/cam signal but doing nothing with it. I'll try to see what diagrams I can find on the intarwebz before we blame the ECU.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:13 AM
What's one way to check out the pins on the sensor? The crankshaft sensor has three wires going to them but I couldnt get no signal from my multimeter idk if I was checking the right wire for positive or not.

Also this engine use to be for a 2003 automatic would that make a difference since mines a 6mt?? I changed out the flywheel and used my old wiring harness. I also swapped out all my coils and injectors still nothing,
I live in Houston TX a city of over 2 million people and I can't find a decent mechanic with a legit scanner, if anyone reads this and there from houston plz point me to the right direction, also how much do ecu go for?? I'm $3400 dollars in the car so far so.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Also was my engine supposed to be in tdc when I installed the flywheel? Or was the flywheel alignment dowel supposed to be in the 12 o'clock position when installed?? Because the alignment dowel as show in the picture above was facing more like 3 o'clock??

Old 10-27-2014, 01:18 AM
Nah, it doesn't matter where your engine is when installing the flywheel. As long as the dowel is in the right place in the flywheel, you're fine.
Also, it doesn't matter what engine it is as far as AT or MT. As long as your engine wiring and ECU is for a manual, which it sounds like it is.
I found a FSM on NICOclub here http://www.infinitiservicemanual.com
Go to your year and check the EC (Engine Control) Section, starts on page 327.
It breaks down how to check, with a multimeter, the crank sensor and wiring. The next section is the cam sensors. Give that a try. Hopefully you find a smoking gun

Old 11-10-2014, 01:35 AM
anything?