Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Help please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 04:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help please!

Have an 03 g35 sedan 5at.

ok... I dont know if it is supposed to do this but......

I can feel all the shifts, sometimes a little rough, and after a shift its almost as if someone applied the brake and I lunge forward a bit.

When going 50-60 mph or so ....if I let off the gas the rpms will drop to 1k until I press gas again....(do not know if this is normal)

then other times I let off the gas and it rides the rpms all the way down until it downshifts.

I do not know automatic trannies that well, someone please let me know if these occurrences are normal. Thanks!

Old 04-01-2015, 04:26 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Have you checked your transmission fluid level?

Old 04-01-2015, 04:28 AM
Not yet, im taking to someone (no dipstick) . So what is normal? Rpms drop when let off gas or no?

Old 04-01-2015, 04:42 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by smokey2
Not yet, im taking to someone (no dipstick) . So what is normal? Rpms drop when let off gas or no?
Huh? Rpms and speed should drop together evenly. If your rpms are falling off harshly, then no, that's not normal. You need to check your fluid tho. What do you mean no dipstick? Is it gone?

Old 04-01-2015, 04:46 AM
It has the spot and the bolt but no dipstick didnt come with one evidently, but yes say at 50mph im cruising , if i let off the gas rpms will drop to 1k until i hit gas again, it does that more than drop evenly i just thought it was going into nuetral or something

Old 04-01-2015, 05:01 AM
I assumed it was the torque convertor locking up at higher speeds, but I am not sure

Old 04-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I assumed it was the torque convertor locking up at higher speeds, but I am not sure
I'll test this for you on my way home.

but iirc at higher speeds (5th gear, 2500+ RPM) the converter locks up for sure.
And the RPM drops occur if you're doing a lower speed (4th gear, 1800RPM) something like that. Although if you hammer it and then let go. It rides down the RPM.

If you're in manumatic mode, Idk. It works a little differently.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:46 AM
Thats awesome! Thanks for the info, I was starting to trip lol. Checked fluid and it looked beautiful, not burnt or anything. The tech said that he had an 03 coupe 5at and it feels like it is slipping sometimes (for whatever reason) but its not, he said the harder you drive it the easier it shifts lol. And I have found this to be true, definatley a finniky car but I love it. I let go of a supercharged 06 mustang gt for this, ( more comfortable to drive everyday)

Old 04-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Thats awesome! Thanks for the info, I was starting to trip lol. Checked fluid and it looked beautiful, not burnt or anything. The tech said that he had an 03 coupe 5at and it feels like it is slipping sometimes (for whatever reason) but its not, he said the harder you drive it the easier it shifts lol. And I have found this to be true, definatley a finniky car but I love it. I let go of a supercharged 06 mustang gt for this, ( more comfortable to drive everyday)
I woulda kept the stang dude. The power it was making was prob legit.

And I did some more testing. from gears 1 - 3 it does a drop to 1.1kish if u stop the gas, then when you press it again it goes back up accordingly. In 4th/5th it doesnt drop as much, maybe like to 1.5 but it's not so sudden since it's higher than 1.1. Unless if you're on highway speeds then it locks up. Idk why the transmission does it, but I dont wanna bother wrapping my head around it. It's working, that's what matters.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Yeah i get headachea sometimes trying to wrap my head around these things, thanks for checking so We could compare i dont know anyone with a 5at

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.