Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2005 G35 Coupe 6MT - STRANGE electrical/starting issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 G35 Coupe 6MT - STRANGE electrical/starting issue

Hey guys. I recently picked up this 05 6mt coupe for really cheap and it was all good until a few days later (last night).

Sat in the car with the radio on car off for a while then I start it no problem, runs fine then 5 minutes after idling the ABS, SLIP, VDC off lights start flashing rapidly. Eventually the airbag light flashes too. Radio starts cutting out. The car begins to run poorly. I can rev it when it's in neutral but if I try and put it in gear to move it will not go anywhere? How does this make sense??

I charged the battery fully thinking it was just low, problems went away when I installed the battery the next morning with a full charge. Thought it was fixed. Drove around today and while driving down a main road randomly it cut all power to the throttle. I step on the gas and it doesn't go anywhere. Idle into a parking lot then all the lights start flashing again.

Car starts to run poorly so I shut it off again and it is too weak to start (cranks slowly but not fast enough to fire up). I let it sit for a minute and try again, and it starts up. Let it run and it's doing the same thing again.

What could it be? I also seem to be smelling like burnt plastic or something

Old 09-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: When I unplug the negative terminal, the car died instantly. Could *** this be because of the alternator?

Old 06-28-2021, 07:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35X AWD Sedan
Red face Maybe this help?

Originally Posted by Thebaws11
Update: When I unplug the negative terminal, the car died instantly. Could *** this be because of the alternator?
Just purchased my 2004 G35X AWD sedan from my sister who got it from my brother, who bought it from our uncle. Car has always had a strange electrical gremlin haunting it. I am still in the process of evicting my gremlin, however this is the information i have gathered thus far. It starting rough idling one day and not starting until the 4th or 5th try. I had bought a code reader but it would intermitted lose connection with vehicle, It was at this time I noticed my OBD2 port (Car Side) wasn't exactly holding my OBD2 test cable in well enough to keep a full communication with the CAN BUS L and CAN BUS H. I pulled each wire and contact out of the OBD2 port and Dielectric greased them and bent the clip up so the contacts would lock in. when finished I had eliminated the loose feeling whilst plugging in a scan tool. I was at this time my 35x started really giving me the codes she was having trouble with. I performed the On Board Auto Diagnostic to ensure the IPDM was fully communicating with the BCM, to my otter doubt, it passed flawlessly. I then removed the entire dash and went through each connection with QC electrical cleaner and Dielectric grease... Finally made it back down to the BCM, pulled the 3 connector and realized then they too (like the OBD2 port) were loose, I just greased them and reinstalled. I reinserted the battery and followed through with the After Connection programming to ensure all systems were initialized. It started on the very first key turn and idled and sounded absolutely brand new! I went to release the parking brake and bumped the tall vertical white connector on the BCM and low and behold, immediately it started running rough. It currently has 293,769 miles.
I believe after so long these wires start to become loose and ARC out onto the next closest 5v low voltage line.

The following users liked this post:
BluJay (08-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2021, 11:36 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Originally Posted by jwb995
...to my otter doubt...