Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

04 coupe vk56 engine swap and build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 12:33 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by quickdiversion
][/URL]
i spy jersey inspection stickers lol
good luck with this

Old 08-01-2016, 01:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes Sir,
You are seeing correctly. I was born and raised in NJ, Morris County to be precise. I bought this car in NJ and holy crap is it just as rusted as it is clean. It is no diamond, but for the price I paid it is a GEM!
First trip I will take once completed will be back to NJ to my best friends house.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:48 AM
I am seriously curious.

Is no one posting or talking cause they don;t think this is gonna happen, or they seriously don't care????

Old 08-03-2016, 03:07 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Waiting for more progress pics!

Old 08-03-2016, 04:52 PM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
I am seriously curious.

Is no one posting or talking cause they don;t think this is gonna happen, or they seriously don't care????
I care, this thing is ****ing rad. The firewall modification in particular is what I'm super excited about, very very happy to see someone actually try it and make it work, this frees up valuable inches for any rear sump engine swap (like for example a bunch of BMW motors).

So please keep posting updates, there's a lot of guys here that just lurk, but they do definitely care and cherry pick the useful interesting stuff and not the hell-hard-park bullshit.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:54 PM
G35 Coupe
Yes Sir,
You are seeing correctly. I was born and raised in NJ, Morris County to be precise. I bought this car in NJ and holy crap is it just as rusted as it is clean. It is no diamond, but for the price I paid it is a GEM!
First trip I will take once completed will be back to NJ to my best friends house.
I am curious how you will handle the inspection. I was thinking of eventually just failing and driving around with a failed sticker. Cops never actually check that tiny red sticker to see when you failed and even if they do what's the worst case scenario? You get a ticket?

Anyone know?

Old 08-03-2016, 05:05 PM
G35 Coupe

Here is the underside.

Since you have the sub frame and all of the pieces out, why not clean up the surface rust, spray some 1k primer, and an undercoating or just some fresh base.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by Row2k
Since you have the sub frame and all of the pieces out, why not clean up the surface rust, spray some 1k primer, and an undercoating or just some fresh base.
I have seen some in-progress accelerated aging tests for rust converters at the National Center for Preservation Technology and Training. They are finding that Rustoleum (yep) is far and away performing the best. This is the liquid "paint-on" version, not the spray can version. The latter is not effective. Forget naval jelly and all the rest.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:47 PM
I'm waiting for parts to arrive.
According to mckinny motorsports, my motor and trans mounts went out on Monday.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am curious how you will handle the inspection. I was thinking of eventually just failing and driving around with a failed sticker. Cops never actually check that tiny red sticker to see when you failed and even if they do what's the worst case scenario? You get a ticket?

Anyone know?
New York if you know someone or a place you can get passed not saying I do but that's what I would look for, also in NY state you need to have a valid inspection for you to have the registration renewed

Old 08-03-2016, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
I have seen some in-progress accelerated aging tests for rust converters at the National Center for Preservation Technology and Training. They are finding that Rustoleum (yep) is far and away performing the best. This is the liquid "paint-on" version, not the spray can version. The latter is not effective. Forget naval jelly and all the rest.
Funny enough I have 2 cans of that in the garage, it's a blue spray can and it is awesome.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:43 PM

Anyone know?
I will be keeping the car registered in NJ because I met a guy 2 years ago that takes car of that for me. I just have to make sure there are no codes or I reset the ecu right before he plugs the obd2 in.

The car is an 04 which means it is can bis, just like the titan motor. So everything will talk, obd2 port will work like stock as well as all the gauges. So that part is good.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:46 PM
I care, this thing is ****ing rad. The firewall modification in particular is what I'm super excited about, very very happy to see someone actually try it and make it work, this frees up valuable inches for any rear sump engine swap (like for example a bunch of BMW motors).

So please keep posting updates, there's a lot of guys here that just lurk, but they do definitely care and cherry pick the useful interesting stuff and not the hell-hard-park bullshit.
Last I measured the gap between the back of the block to the secondary firewall it was almost 7 inches. Removing the second day firewall was almost 3 inches. So you gain almost 10 inches.

Best part is that this V8 will now sit back further than the V6. Cylinder 1of the vk will sit between cylinders 1 and 3 of the stock vq location. So you will get possible a true 50/50 balance with a bigger motor.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:00 AM
Entered in error.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:54 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
I am seriously curious.

I honestly just don't come on here as often, but when I do, this is one of the few threads I look for. This is something that people have been wanting to see for awhile that's never been accomplished: a Nissan V8 in a Nissan, so don't let the lack of posts discourage you by any means. It's partly cuz the forums dead, partly cuz of the lurk-only crowd and partly cuz we've been teased before. I honestly can not wait to see this thing and hopefully you can bring new life/interest to heavily modding this platform again.

Hopefully you submit your build to some import mags and they can cover it so you get it out to a bigger audience. Great work so far, man.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 04 coupe vk56 engine swap and build