Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

"miss" at idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"miss" at idle

hi all, bought an 04 sedan w/ 113k on it about a month ago. After repairing some things that needed immediate repair, think oil leaks and loose panels, Im in to the heavier stuff, will be replacing a tensioner in the next few weeks.

Since we bought the car it cuts off sometimes during hot starts and it has what is best described as a miss at idle WITH THE A/C OFF. When the a/c is on the rpms kick up enough to mask the miss, but you can still feel it a bit.

What I've done; cleaned the intake to the plenum, changed spark plugs, rest the ecu, and went through the relearn process.

What the car is doing; there are no codes, it runs fine under any kind of throttle, never hesitates, never gone into limp mode, and near as i can tell gas consumption is normal. Plugs were original but normal for a high mileage plug. The vacuum hoses are in good shape. its a touch noisy on start up until the tensioner get warmed up then its ok.

I am at a loss at this point. I've had several nissans that threw tantrums when things like MAFS and TPMS went bad, had this SR20 one time that had a pin hole leak in the FPR that only opened when i turned left at speed in the mountatins. This is not that... i dont think. Any ideas? i'd rather not spend money on a throttle body when i need to replace the chain tensioners.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:09 PM
seems these cars can store codes that don't warrant a light, so im going by the advance tomorrow to pull codes and maybe that will give me an answer.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:53 AM
So the hot start shut off corrected itself after I cleaned the intake and my wife drove it a bit. Went by pep boys to see if it would pull codes. Nothing, no codes at all. The miss is still there, I may buy a coil and start swapping it in to see what's up. If you have another idea, let me know

Old 11-07-2016, 08:57 PM
update: Car still has a bit of a rough idle, however, the major miss was taken car of with a 7$ rubber ******* for the oil filler cap, which had been removed by the previous owner at some point. I am fairly certain the valve covers have started to leak, which is wonderful. More things to replace... Nissan usually does a good job with engine design, this is a bit disappointing.... course everything else works as it should.