Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Say Oh No to Soho

Old 12-09-2016, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I appreciate them coming here and responding though. I'm still not understanding the concerns of the rebuilt engine though. I would think it should sound fine? Next oil change will tell the tale.
Yeah "SHOULD" sound fine. It certainly doesn't sound fine. I was told there would be no metal or noise in the system after the SECOND rebuild, but surprise, there's both noise and metal.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by ohsnapG35
wow, i never post on here but this takes the cake being local...

sorry to the OP for the **** storm you're caught in. hopefully the sound you're hearing isnt anything serious. my friends built g35 with head work makes a lot of racket and ive always wondered the same thing lol but hes been pushing it hard for a long time without issues. as far as the lab analysis goes, its a brand new motor so there should be more than normal wear because its breaking in. youve got 2 shops involved and a tuner that soho doesnt know so I can see why they dont want to warranty it. if your clearances are in check and you use the right oil there shouldn't be any issues. hopefully it all works out with the new motor. how does it run right now?

as far as soho goes, they normally take great care of our Charlotte Z/G community really well and they've built a lot of vq's without any issues like this so its definitely weird. kinda scares me with my stage 1 short block im supposed to order from them but then again i know many people that track their builds or even street them without issue.

as far as hills goes, im not sure i would trust them from what you've said either. Im no genius but i damn sure wouldn't use left over parts from a blown motor... especially the oil cooler that has pieces of metal all in it... this was a huge rookie mistake here as well...

they rebuilt your engine and shipped the car back with clearances in check, so id just keep driving it and continue the break in period and send the oil in to be analyzed.

sub'd to see how this one turns out. best of luck man
Well, I've had 2 oil analyses done already indicating more than break in material wear. There's now over 5k on the motor now. It sounds terrible, occasionally it's hard to start (have no idea why, may have nothing to do with rebuild), and it uses a little more than a quart of oil every 1,500 miles.

In terms of Hills, they are not tuning the motor. There was never any tuning done to it, they simply swapped my old motor out and put the one from Soho in. Regarding the oil cooler, there is some discrepancy as to if that was the smoking gun and what possible defective parts were indicated. Because I wanted to report only what I know as FACT based on my experience, I left any issues between Hills and Soho between them. There is a dispute between what Soho says Hills said and vice versa about the oil cooler and sound. I can tell you however that from Soho, the oil cooler was the most likely culprit, until it was the flywheel so, yeah... My issue is now on the SECOND rebuild.. the one where they had my car in their shop for 7 months..on THAT rebuild, why is there any noise or metal at all? The rebuilt the motor, they installed the motor, in my estimation, it should be perfect with no issues. This is clearly not the case.

For your case, I'd definitely say think long and hard if you wanna get the short-block. It seems as though they do have satisfied customers, but obviously we all are not. They have a HUGE get out of jail card with that warranty if for some reason they happen to screw something up

Old 02-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Buyer Beware!!!

Yeah, you're seriously going to want to think about dealing with these guys Caveat emptor..... Here's the comment from the last oil analysis done:

"You can see previous samples done since the engine was rebuilt. Unfortunately, it's not great news as far as aluminum and iron are concerned. Aluminum typically shows piston wear and iron is from steel parts like cylinders and rotating shafts. We're not sure if this is piston scuffing though, since chrome is low, which is from the piston rings. We've seen these two metals come from something like a bad timing chain tensioner where the chain is rubbing against the aluminum case, but that's just a guess. This is a lot
of metal, so check back in just 1,500 miles."

In addition to the motor being louder since the weather is colder, I'm now using just over a quart of oil every 1,200 miles. You can see the recommendation of short oil change intervals due to the excessive amount of metal, particularly iron which has increased with every analysis done. This is a motor with just under 7,500mi on it now and I've already had to add just over a quart of oil to it since the last analysis. Whatever is actually wrong, it appears it is more than a "weak valve spring or a bucket" causing the noise as SoHo is claiming.

It's doubtful that EVERY motor SoHo builds is like mine or else they wouldn't have a business. However, if you're considering going with them ask yourself if it's worth the risk? You're flipping a coin as to whether you get a decent quality rebuild as they claim, or you'll have obvious problems like me. Personally, my record is 0/2 with them. If you have problems, they can simply say "no warranty" and you're pretty much SOL. They don't even have to make any attempt to fix what was wrong. I appreciate that they at least did that for me, HOWEVER..the bottom line is the bottom line and there are problems with the motor! Right now I'm hoping the motor lasts another 1,000 so I can at least get 8,600mi out of it for my $8,600 yeah a dollar a mile, maybe that will make me feel better...

Also, this was nearly a 10-month ordeal from the initial build for me to FINALLY get my car back. Yes, remember this is the SECOND motor SoHo built for me!! The SECOND!! Again, I'm 0/2 with them. They had my car for over SIX months at their shop. So for THIS motor anything "possibly" done with the swap on the FIRST motor up here at Hill's Garage is null and void. For the SECOND motor, they had my car, they did the swap, they did the rebuild, they did EVERYTHING (including possibly killing me with the not even finger tight steering knuckle bolt). It should have been perfect, no "weak valve spring or bucket" causing noise. To me, it seems clear that the workmanship simply isn't there. Perhaps it's the machine shop they use, perhaps there's a new builder... Whatever it is, clearly the end product is not up to snuff and certainly not worth what I paid or the time it took to get it. What really pisses me off is that I don't like being deceived regarding the whole DE vs HR flywheel ordeal referenced above. After contacting Ben Pila at Jim Wolf Technologies and confirming what Nik proposed was impossible (same thing Hill's Garage told me), I can see only 2 possible reasons as to why I was told what I was told, neither of which are particularity encouraging. 1) Nik is not nearly the expert in the car he claims to be or 2) He simply lied to me. I really can't see any other explanation for how I could be told that the wrong flywheel was put on and caused all the problems from the very beginning. It was the oil cooler until it was the "wrong flywheel", now it is a "weak valve spring or a bucket" causing the noise, and "there will always be some noise, because of the built bottom end and stock top end". Really....what about the oil consumption and the excessively high metals?

Again, think looooong and hardddd if you want to deal with these guys. Caveat emptor. You've been warned....

*Note: All personally identifiable information other than my name has been removed from the oil report for obvious reasons, it hasn't been altered in any other way.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
04 VQ35DE-170108.pdf (55.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 02-09-2017, 06:46 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I also appreciate Soho coming on here to plead their case but this kind of ****^^ is unacceptable IMHO. For a company to fvck so many things up and then hide behind the "it didn't come with a warranty" BS is not only reprehensible but is a ludicrous business model. All they did here was make excuse after excuse and refuse to accept responsibility for the finish end product, what a crock.I don't care how many "Awesome builds" they have pumped out, if this is how they treat even 1 customer I don't wish them well in the future. Look out Soho Karma's a bitch and she staring at you right now.

Good luck with that.......

Old 02-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I also appreciate Soho coming on here to plead their case but this kind of ****^^ is unacceptable IMHO. For a company to fvck so many things up and then hide behind the "it didn't come with a warranty" BS is not only reprehensible but is a ludicrous business model. All they did here was make excuse after excuse and refuse to accept responsibility for the finish end product, what a crock.I don't care how many "Awesome builds" they have pumped out, if this is how they treat even 1 customer I don't wish them well in the future. Look out Soho Karma's a bitch and she staring at you right now.

Good luck with that.......
Yeah, my thoughts exactly... Now, I'm just putting the word out there.Really hope nobody has to go thru this with them. It's really terrible...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.