Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Engine swap question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine swap question

I had my engine blow on the Dyno at a shop. I worked with them to get a reasonable price to install a new engine. I got a used built long block to replace my blown engine. I have a couple cylinders measure 25% loss on a leak down test. The engine sat for a while without any oil etc for a couple months. The shop is recommending that I replace the piston rings and bearings prior to putting the engine back in. I have a couple questions.

1. I have read that when an engine is cold and without oil, the leak down test results can be misleading. Is that the case with the VQ? Some of the bearings do show wear. Seller claims engine only had 7k miles since rebuild.

2. How much should it reasonably cost to hone cylinders and replace the piston rings and bearings ..both main and rod. Looking for Labour cost.

3. The new engine came without sensors or pulleys. They claim 8 hours of labour to swap pulleys and sensors from the old to new engine. That seems a little over the top. Seems like they are exaggerating that cost because I made them reduce the initial cost of the engine install.

I'm kinda stuck working with this shop because they have to finish my supercharger install and tuning. I feel like I'm getting screwed because my back is against the wall.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:27 PM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
8hrs to swap pulleys and sensors is insane for an engine that is out of the car. Trust your gut, if it feels like you are being placed in a corner, then the shop is taking you for a ride.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.