Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2004 G35 Coupe 6MT - Starting and Stalling?

Old 01-25-2017, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT - Starting and Stalling?

Hello,

My name is Thomas, and I live in Manitoba, Canada. I purchased this G35 in the summer, it's been pretty good to me but this last month with her has been rough. My issue is with my car stalling. I had my car stall on me a couple of weeks ago in the middle of a highway with all the lights flashing on my dashboard. The interesting thing is someone boosted my car (so the car was on) but the car would not move.. I would give it gas and nothing. I somehow moved the car off the highway in second and the whole while my car was jerking and lurching forward until I parked it at a nearby parking lot. Got the car towed, battery re-charged, added fuel additive (because it gets cold) and the car was fine (or so it seemed). Now today, I start my car with no issues whatsoever, BUT I had to go back into my house, thus, had to take out my key. When I try to start her again it turns over but won't start.. The car has since turned on but I don't want to re-live my last experience of having it stall in the middle of the highway, so I took my Honda CR-V to play it safe. Once I started the car after it wouldn't start, the RPMs were abnormally high @ about 1.1k RPM.. I have a brand new OEM crankshaft sensor lying around in the box but it's not that because there's no CEL light, and the battery is about 1.5 years old and has been recently re-charged so it's not that either. I think this is related, but sometimes the car's RPM's will SHUDDER, it will drop and almost stall, or it will stall unless I give it a bit of gas when starting.. And it has stalled on me once while driving but turned back on going about 20 km/h in neutral.

So I've kind of "narrowed it down" or at least I think I have. The options are:
- Throttle body
- MAF sensor
- Fuel pump
- Spark plugs
- Injectors
- Starter

*Once again, I don't think it's a crankshaft sensor as there's no CEL, removed the alternator as an option due to victor's reply.

Any advice on this?

Last edited by thomasmarzec; 01-26-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:34 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Mm I'll chime in and give one piece of advice. Doubt it's the alternator. You'd get the famous battery and brake light come on at the same time. And then to play it safe car will go into limp mode right after and not start

Old 01-26-2017, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by victor0206
Mm I'll chime in and give one piece of advice. Doubt it's the alternator. You'd get the famous battery and brake light come on at the same time. And then to play it safe car will go into limp mode right after and not start
Okay cool, thank you for that I appreciate it.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by thomasmarzec
Hello,

My name is Thomas, and I live in Manitoba, Canada. I purchased this G35 in the summer, it's been pretty good to me but this last month with her has been rough. My issue is with my car stalling. I had my car stall on me a couple of weeks ago in the middle of a highway with all the lights flashing on my dashboard. The interesting thing is someone boosted my car (so the car was on) but the car would not move.. I would give it gas and nothing. I somehow moved the car off the highway in second and the whole while my car was jerking and lurching forward until I parked it at a nearby parking lot. Got the car towed, battery re-charged, added fuel additive (because it gets cold) and the car was fine (or so it seemed). Now today, I start my car with no issues whatsoever, BUT I had to go back into my house, thus, had to take out my key. When I try to start her again it turns over but won't start.. The car has since turned on but I don't want to re-live my last experience of having it stall in the middle of the highway, so I took my Honda CR-V to play it safe. Once I started the car after it wouldn't start, the RPMs were abnormally high @ about 1.1k RPM.. I have a brand new OEM crankshaft sensor lying around in the box but it's not that because there's no CEL light, and the battery is about 1.5 years old and has been recently re-charged so it's not that either. I think this is related, but sometimes the car's RPM's will SHUDDER, it will drop and almost stall, or it will stall unless I give it a bit of gas when starting.. And it has stalled on me once while driving but turned back on going about 20 km/h in neutral.

So I've kind of "narrowed it down" or at least I think I have. The options are:
- Throttle body
- MAF sensor
- Fuel pump
- Spark plugs
- Injectors
- Starter

*Once again, I don't think it's a crankshaft sensor as there's no CEL, removed the alternator as an option due to victor's reply.

Any advice on this?
Stop guessing on what you think the problem is!

First thing test your battery cells with a $10.00 battery hydrometer

If any cells do not confirm they come up to a full charge replace the battery

Name:  One%20half%20Charge_4949_zpsbtpmuste.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  56.9 KB

With the engine running your alternator output as measured across the battery should be 14.4v

Name:  Alternator%20Voltage_4963_zpsgb6ckfu2.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  95.4 KB

If the problem is not a defective battery and the alternator output voltage is normal take your vehicle to the nearest Infiniti dealer, spend the one hour diagnostic fee to have the dealer determine the root cause of your fourteen year old vehicle's problem.

That's my $.02

Good luck

Telcoman

Old 01-26-2017, 08:36 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
A car in your area is likely to have rust issues. I'd check engine grounds first.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.