Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

G35 Misfire No Code HELP!

Old 03-15-2017, 07:34 AM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
G35 Misfire No Code HELP!

Currently at work and trying to go thru my options of what is going on with my car. Started this morning (22 degrees) fine and ran perfect all the way to work. As soon as I pull into the lot I feel a hesitation so I take it out of gear and stop (I was in 1st maybe going 5mph) and the car sounds like a Subaru boxer at idle. There is also a ticking (quite loud for a tick, sounds like knock to me) at idle and it gets louder and faster as the revs go up. There is no CEL or SES, so I'm thinking bad coil or injector? Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I have to drive it home as its my only form of transportation, don't wanna hurt my baby.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:33 PM
Update: Took the terminal off the battery and then started the car, SES came on. Got it scanned at its P0300 so IDK where to start. On the way back to my apt, it stopped misfiring and has been running fine since. Light is still on, but it's running fine. I changed plugs at 100k (so that 15k miles ago) so I was thinking coil pack, but since its 0300 and not a specific cylinder I'm at a loss.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
ADD OIL DUDE. If adding oil does not help (I'm 90% sure) then buy a coil pack at pep boys ($55 and good quality, I've bought two of them now for different VQ's) and put it on cylinder #1. But seriously, add some oil first

Old 03-15-2017, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
ADD OIL DUDE. If adding oil does not help (I'm 90% sure) then buy a coil pack at pep boys ($55 and good quality, I've bought two of them now for different VQ's) and put it on cylinder #1. But seriously, add some oil first
I changed my oil 2k miles ago, and last weekend I noticed it was slightly low, so I added ~0.5qt. So now that's out. Probably going to buy a coil pack and try them out WHEN it starts misfiring again. It's impossible to trace the misfire if it won't misfire. I think it had something to with the fact that it was 20 degrees this morning, just speculation.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
I am going to stick with telling you to add oil. Hear me out. It could (and most likely is) leaking from the valve covers and more in addition to the hungry PCV system. Add a half of a quart right then and there next time it is doing the misfire thing at idle and it will stop. If the misfire continues on past idle (and isn't remedied by the addition of 1/2 qt.), then it is most likely a coil pack and is most likely #1

Old 03-16-2017, 01:05 PM
Update: On the way back from AutoZone, after getting the code scanned, the car started to run normal again. Took it to grab some dinner later on, light was still on, and once again she ran fine. Drove it again to get groceries, light is now off and still running fine. I'm at a loss...

EDIT: This is probably irrelevant but it just got me thinking. Being as low as I am, is there any way that my fronts might be rubbing the harness?

Last edited by Conissah; 03-16-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.