Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Easy Ecu Resetting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: EASY ECU RESETTING

Guys read my lips I did have a stop watch.... I did try it 25 times... What is the perfect scenario, windows up moon full... I have read the instructions and tried it it won't BLINK...

Soryy for screaming frustrated...

Old 09-18-2003, 08:53 PM

Guys read my lips I did have a stop watch.... I did try it 25 times... What is the perfect scenario, windows up moon full... I have read the instructions and tried it it won't BLINK...

LOL

Me too...just disconnect the battery for 6 hrs does the same thing..

"There is a Very Fine Line Between "Hobby and Mental Illness"

(6 Coats Zaino)

105544-LolLolLolLol.gif

Old 09-19-2003, 03:08 AM

It's like winning a bet/gambling or playing the lottery when attempting the ecu reset. I think the trick is to STOMP the accelerator pedal pretty hard. That seemed to do the trick for me.

If that doesn't work you could try it during a lunar eclipse of Mars on Friday the 13th while wearing nothing but a rubber glove that is not on your hand.

Old 09-19-2003, 03:02 PM

OK, just to clarify a few things.

As indicated in a previous post, this is a documented procedure in the Infiniti ESM. It is described on pages EC-69 and EC-70 for AT and EC-705 and EC-706 for MT.

The first page of each of these sections indicates that this procedure is used to clear MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) codes and says this procedure clears the following emission-related diagnostic information when ECM memory is released:

o Diagnostic trouble codes
o 1st trip diagnostic trouble codes
o Freeze frame data
o 1st trip freeze frame data
o System readines test (SRT) codes
o Test values
o Others <--- this sure leaves things open

So, I'm not sure what this has to do with items related to performance.

I'm also a bit confused on what people are claiming this is supposed to do. I thought that the adaptive learning stuff was related to the AT's TCM which controls shift points and definitely does adapt to driving habits. This process seems to relate only to the ECM and there is no mention of this procedure in the TCM section so not sure how this relates to this.

Does anyone have information indicating that there is some sort of adaptive learning going on in the ECM that impacts performance? Is it just that the procedures for 'resetting the ECU' that involve battery disconnect are just resetting the variables in the TCM to default settings?

Gary

Old 09-26-2003, 01:32 PM

just did it, 1st try..

dont knw if it changed anything though

Old 09-27-2003, 12:35 AM

Just did it also, 1st try, no stopwatch... it definitely does not have to be exact timing. I haven't noticed any change. I just bought this G35s 6MT with 1800 miles on it, did the reset at 2200 mls. I would have expected it to feel different since 1800 miles were driven by someone else..

Old 10-13-2003, 10:40 PM

It worked for me on the first try, with no stopwatch. When I cranked it up, it idled at about 1300RPM for the first minute or so, and sounded different. I restarted it and it idled at the normal ~800 or so. It doesn't feel any faster, though it will downshift into second from fourth with hardly any throttle, which I really don't like. Anyway, I tried it few more times, and never could get it to work again. Overall, it was a waste of 30 minutes and a few quarts of fuel.

Old 10-17-2003, 07:13 PM

I just did mine today after grannying my car during the break in. I followed the instructions on technosquares web site and got it to work on the 4th try. I think at first I was not waiting long enough after pressing the pedal 5 times.

Anyway as far as I can tell the car drives exactly as before. When I floor it at a stop the engine is a dog for a couple of seconds, and then it seems to wake up and takes off like a bat out of hell.

Not saying it does or does not work, just that I didnt notice any difference. However, the guys at TS are experts on the ECU and I do not think they would have directions on how to reset it if it was bogus.

Btw, I have the AT sedan, all stock.

Old 10-17-2003, 07:17 PM

Also, if you can get that flipping dipstick back in the engine you can do the easy ECU reset, it is not hard once you get the hang of it. But that dipstick. Damm what a nightmare

Old 10-25-2003, 09:51 PM

well, I don't know enough about these cars yet(I've only had my 'g' a week) to know how this works. But consider this. When I reset the computer on my '01 Camaro SS...you could tell immmedietly that the computer was reset. It would idle like crap for the first 5-10 seconds (learning idle), and would hesitate the first couple of minutes. It took a few miles for the "LT" and "ST" fuel trims (fuel mixture) to become more consistant after "learning" Once the computer learned, it was good to go. By the way, I used a program called "autotap" for monitoring things. It is an awesome program, now I gotta get the hardware for the "g".

Old 10-31-2003, 12:32 AM

OK! I finally was able to do it! :-)
It was a little tricky. From reading what someone else said earlier about his windows benig down, I figured everything had to be set to the off position. I did it about 10 times with no success, made sure the windows were rolled up, sun roof closed, radio off, AC/fan off. But after trying another 10 times to no avail I was going to shoot someone!
But finally I figured it out. As instructed to in the owners manual, when parked, always leave it in reverse. I shifted it out of reverse and it worked the first time! It was pretty easy.
Satch, maybe you should check to make sure this isn't happening to you too. Make sure everything is off, gear is Neutral or Parked (AT), windows up, sunroof closed, etc... Good luck!

'04 G35 6MT Ivory Pearl
Borla Headers/Dual Cat-Back Exhaust
AirSplat.com for AirSoft Guns!

Old 10-31-2003, 12:36 AM

So resetting the ECU makes the car gaining the lost hp again?

Old 11-13-2003, 09:37 PM

wooohoo did it i think!! i am not sure what i did but i did it.

Old 11-14-2003, 03:29 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Good going bro. Don't forget to post with your driving impressions.
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 11-15-2003, 12:42 AM

I just reset the ECU right now by using the pressing on the gas pedal method and I know for sure it resets the ECU because last week I had a problem where my intake where not giving enough air was given to my engine so my car would shut off.
After my intake was fixed, my CHECK ENGINE SOON light was still on because my G's computer still thought the intake was not providing enough air to the engine even though the problem was fix, I had the CHECK ENGINE SOON signal on for more then a week . After using the method the CHECK ENGINE SOON signal is now off. For the performance now, the car seems a little more faster but that might be because I'm expecting the car to be, I don't know if I would notice the difference if some random guy went and just reset my ECU without telling me. By the way it took my about a dozen tries to final pull this off

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35 5AT
Premium / Sport / 5% Tint / Injen intake / 20" rims

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Easy Ecu Resetting