Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

NISMO Radiator Cap

Old 04-08-2006, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NISMO Radiator Cap

There are very few posts regarding the NISMO high pressure radiator cap. I am aware that the consensus is that it does nothing other than look different, but I am interested to know whether using it could cause any damage. Some say that it increases cooling efficiency, others that it makes your engine run hotter. I'm sure I'll get the ususal smarta** responses from those that enjoy doing so, but hopefully one or two people that have true knowledge of the part and it's function, will respond. It's hard to believe that NISMO would manufacture and sell something that would harm Nissan vehicles without providing information on the the applications, benefits, precautions, etc. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no smart @$$ comments here! but seriously, the nismo radiator cap has a different pressure set-point than the stock cap, meaning that it will open at a higher pressure than the stock cap. will it make a difference while driving on the street? no. will you see a performance gain (as far as horsepower)? no. if you use it in conjunction with the nismo thermostat, and run it on the track ALL the time, will you see a difference then? probably, if you're engine's built for it. hope that helps!

Old 04-08-2006, 07:43 AM
Thanks, n1cK! I guess my main concern is if I will be doing harm by using one for cosmetic reasons. I have the NISMO polished billet oil cap along with chrome intake, engine bolts, and various other chrome parts under the hood, which make the stock radiator cap look a little dull - thus my interest in replacing it. Most of the dealers that sell them tout it as performance enhancing, but I understand there is a giant disclaimer on the back of the box which makes it sound like unless your G is used strictgly on the track, you're going to ruin your engine. Very confusing...

Old 04-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember that many things that are sold as "NISMO" really are not. Particularly if bought off E-bay, most NISMO badged products are knock-off generic products produced as cheaply as possible, and simply have a NISMO sticker applied.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by CouperDouper
There are very few posts regarding the NISMO high pressure radiator cap. I am aware that the consensus is that it does nothing other than look different, but I am interested to know whether using it could cause any damage. Some say that it increases cooling efficiency, others that it makes your engine run hotter. I'm sure I'll get the ususal smarta** responses from those that enjoy doing so, but hopefully one or two people that have true knowledge of the part and it's function, will respond. It's hard to believe that NISMO would manufacture and sell something that would harm Nissan vehicles without providing information on the the applications, benefits, precautions, etc. Thanks.
I've yet to truely understand the real world technical advantages of a high pressure radiator cap or a low temperature thermostat when combined with the stock radiator. I covered these G35 / 350Z cooling system issues in "Keepin' the VQ Cool" (Sport Z Magazine, Spring 2005).

The stock cap is rated at 0.9 bar (13.05 psia). The high dollar radiator caps offer bling at 1.3 bar (18.85 psia). I chose the Nissan 300ZXTT Radiator Cap - 1.2 bar (17.40 psia) - for $10.25.

DaveO
G35 Editor
Sport Z Magazine

Attached Thumbnails NISMO Radiator Cap-nissan-300zxtt-radiator-cap.jpg  

Last edited by DaveO; 04-08-2006 at 04:36 PM.