FAQ & DIY Frequently Asked Questions & Do It Yourself- Sedan and Coupe. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Urgent: Tail lights (and others) Don't work!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Urgent: Tail lights (and others) Don't work!!

I just noticed last night that my tail lights stopped working! They'll go on when i press the brake, but when the brake's not pressed, they aren't on. This all is obviously with the headlights on. Also, my clearance strip doesn't light up at all (either with headlights or in "parking light" mode), the little amber round light doesn' t go on (but blinkers still work). Inside, the little cigarette lighter ring doesn't work, glovebox light, ashtray light, and clock backlight all don't work. And the lighting behind the numbers and ac settings dont' work, but the panel that displays ac info and the radio info still work. Does anyone know what's wrong?!?

2003.5 6MT Premium Black Coupe Al. Pedals Grounding kit Borla TD exhaust PIAA lights

Old 11-23-2003, 11:37 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Urgent: Tail lights (and others) Don't work!!

Sounds like a fuse or breaker has blown. There are fuses under the dash on the left kick panel, and under the hood in the battery area.
Let the dealer have a look.
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 11-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't that what caused the Brake Switch recall? The dealer replaced my brake switch while I was in for an oil change one day. They said it's because it lights would not work when the pedal was pressed. I don't supposed it could affect the lights in differant way when your foot is not on the pedal. Time for a dealer visit my friend. Peace.

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 11-23-2003, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the replies

I've already got a appt. made for wednesday to get a regulater installed in my drivers side window (just had grease streak tsb performed). Driving during the day (headlights off), nothing is out of the ordinary. So I'll just not drive my coupe after dusk until wednesday.

Right now I'm trying disconnecting the battery for a few hours to see if that will reset anything. Thanks again for the quick replies.

2003.5 6MT Premium Black Coupe Al. Pedals Grounding kit Borla TD exhaust PIAA lights

Old 11-23-2003, 02:03 PM

Dude, check your fuses.. you blew your parking lamp fuse (for whatever reason). Parking lamp circuit involves all front AND rear parking lamps.

- Mike

http://www.ClearCorners.Com -//- There are four corners to this world, we're clearing each one, one step at a time.

Old 11-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i second that... if all those lights are not working.. its probably the fuse. You could read the outer part of the fuse box that will indicate which fuse is for what... Look for the all items that are not working.. go to pep boys or some auto part shop.. Get the appropriate fuses. replace.. check light.. if it doesn't work take it in... If it does.... than great....

TRY THE FUSE!

Ladyg35
Ivory PearlG35 cpe, 6-spd manual tran. w/ Navi

Old 11-23-2003, 03:08 PM

Its your rear ground connection.
I had the same problem about two months ago.
The dealership will fix it for free.

Old 11-23-2003, 04:06 PM

It's none of the above... why do people say what they "think" it is and not state that.

It is the BCM(body control module), it has been shorted out and it needs to be replaced/repaired. There is no fuse for the problem your having. The headlamps work, but no parking lights correct? And when you turn on the headlights the inside lights do not illuminate and the gauges do not dim?

04' G35 / 6MT / Tein Basic Coilovers
Volk 19" GT-7 Gunmetal

Old 11-23-2003, 08:45 PM

Great news!!

So I checked the fuse box in front of the battery. Nothing out of the ordinary. Then I checked the IPDM. Checked the "Tail light" 10 amp fuse...broken! Yay nothing permanent! So I swapped in a new fuse and EVERYTHING is back to normal. (tail lights, clearance strip, amber circles, backlighting for interior center console, clock, cigarette lighter ring...everything!) I'm so happy nothing is wrong.

Here's a DIY for those in the future that might have this problem:
1. First, take the snap off's off of the battery cover trim(I think they are five).

2. Then you need to remove the trim that's behind that (it's what meets the windsheild). There are 2 snap's that need to be undone.

3.Then carefully slide the end that is near the center of the car forward toward the engine and then you should have clearance to get the corner of the trim that's at the far left of the engine bay.

4. After that is moved out of the way, there's a large black plastic case that has the lables for all the fuses. This is the IPDM (Intelligent Power Distribution Module, I believe)

5. Look at that diagram and you should see the one labled "Tail light" (I believe it's the 5th one down on the left column, right under a 20a fuse). Use the fuse puller (White piece of plastic that can be found at the fuse box that's inside the car[that fuse box is right to the left of the foot rest on the drivers side] and use that to get the fuse out. You will also need to grab the spare 10amp fuse from that fuse box if you don't have one).

6. Then just pop out the old fuse at the IPDM, put in the new one, and you're done!.

7. Replace all the trim and put all the snaps back. That's it, Problem solved!

The following 4 users liked this post by cryhavok:
Majin_G (08-03-2014), mynameisname (05-19-2013), Scorpi0 (12-20-2018), ThugWeezy (09-04-2016)
Old 11-25-2003, 03:03 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

It's none of the above... why do people say what they "think" it is and not state that.
It is the BCM(body control module)...

<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Checked the "Tail light" 10 amp fuse...broken! Yay nothing permanent! So I swapped in a new fuse and EVERYTHING is back to normal.

<hr></blockquote>

Oops. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] That's why. Everyone's just trying to help. Sounds like there are about a half-dozen reasons for these lights not to come on.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter