FAQ & DIY Frequently Asked Questions & Do It Yourself- Sedan and Coupe. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

FAQ: Hyper-Ground

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FAQ: Hyper-Ground

<font color=green>From H-G Monster Resource Thread, as requested, I'm doing this thread for the forum members as I have time. I'll try to add other information and DIY construction tips, etc. when I get the chance.</font color=green>

This is my Dealership FAQ re Hyper-Ground Kits. Updated Sept. 04, It contains a lot of the latest information about H-G kits in general, though it is directed more towards GroundingGear™ Clients and Dealers. It's Copyrighted for Commercial Purposes, however, feel free to link it if you'd like. My apologies for the commercial sounding aspect of the FAQ, however, the information contained can be applied to any well constructed H-G kit you choose to purchase.

<font color=blue> This document and the information contained within are Copyright © 2003/04 GroundingGear™ Ltd. and should not be reproduced nor distributed without written prior consent of the author. The following is an amalgamation of various Q & As, both in person and on the Forums.

What are Hyper-Grounding Kits?

Hyper-Grounding, or Earthing kits as they are sometimes called, are basically sets of high quality wire that ground the engine and different areas of your vehicle.

Aren’t automobiles already properly grounded at the factory?

Of course, otherwise they wouldn’t be able to run! There isn’t inherently anything wrong with most grounding systems in modern cars and trucks (with a few exceptions that I’ve heard about). It’s just that there is a lot of potential for improvement. I’ve been told by some automotive technicians that some drivability problems of new cars that come in for service under warranty can even be cured by adding ground wires to different points. My Electrical Engineers tell me that where car manufacturers fall short is that despite increasing reliance on sensors and computers in automobiles, they haven't focused on signal grounding to any significant extent other than adding a few extra wires here and there.

What sorts of “improvements” do Hyper-Ground Systems make on a vehicle?

Engines and other systems in modern cars and trucks send information constantly to various monitors and sensors which communicate with what’s commonly known as the Engine Control Unit (ECU), or computer brains of the vehicle. The ECU monitors these signals hundreds of times per second and makes minute changes to the various systems to try to maximize the efficiency of everything running and tries to harmonize each of the systems running together. The faster and more accurate the information sent to the ECU, the better it can utilize the information.
Engines are made up of different metals, each with their own rates of electrical conduction. The parts of the engine are also connected by bolts, etc. Body and chassis parts and panels are connected in various ways through welds, etc. All of these introduce a certain amount of “noise” which can show up as spikes and other artifacts in the signal into the data stream of information to the ECU.
The current theory behind how the Hyper-Grounds work is that they provide a more efficient pathway and a much cleaner signal to the ECU by virtually eliminating the “noise”. I’ve read that Hyper-Ground systems can also reduce the electrical impedance by up to 10 times that of the stock system.
Another recently proposed theory is that with Hyper-Ground wires, fuel injectors become more responsive, and the output of the jets increase. Some dynamometer tests show the Fuel/Air ratio becomes slightly richer on some cars, which would support this theory. There probably isn’t much current that travels through the grounding system of the vehicle, but you can see that it’s the quality of the signal information that is of prime importance. So the argument that skeptics make that “unless the ground wires are corroded or loose, extra grounding won’t do anything to a vehicle” has poor validity. With time and testing, newer theories are coming out all the time, and GroundingGear Ltd is at the forefront of incorporating them into the R&D of Hyper-Grounding systems.

This almost sounds like “snake-oil” to me. Is there any proof that these things work?

Hyper-Ground systems have apparently been used in racing for many years. It’s also been on “the radar” of many high-performance auto enthusiasts for a long time. NISMO, the high-performance and racing division of NISSAN Japan, have kits out for their cars.
One of the major magazine publications that cater to the high-performance crowd was also skeptical. In their April 2003 issue, they grounded 3 cars, and ran before and after dynamometer tests for horse power. They were amazed, but in each case, the cars showed improvement! In fact, the modified 1995 twin-turbo Mazda RX-7 tested showed a horse power increase of 15.3 at 6500 RPM! Several other publications report similar results, as have some consumers that have run dynos. One client provided me with charts of dynamometer runs taken 15 minute apart, showing before/after increases of 5.9 hp and 9.8 ft-lb of torque in his new G35 with installed Hyper-Grounding! Even if there were no power improvements, other the other benefits of Hyper-Grounding are significant.
Feedback from most people that have actually installed GroundingGear™ is overwhelmingly positive. Virtually all users report a noticeable improvement in engine smoothness, throttle response, and more stability in engine RPMs, especially at idle. Many report less “buzziness” and harshness of the engine at high RPM as well as improved starting. A few have reported better gas mileage, and those with 4 cylinder engines say that they no longer feel the engine “bog down” when they turn on the air conditioner. Several of my clients even report that Hyper-Grounding made more noticeable improvement in the performance of their cars than when they put on exhausts, or Cold Air Intakes that cost several times more than Hyper-Grounding, and some even report that it has made as much difference as a chip mod or re-program of their ECUs! Remember, most mods that increase the noise level or change the sound of a vehicle, are usually interpreted in the minds of many as an increase in performance, rather than actually improving performance in reality. Hyper-Grounding paradoxically, usually makes things smoother and sometimes quieter, yet people still report feeling an improvement in performance!

If these things actually work, wouldn’t the auto manufacturers just build them into cars?

Again, cars have always been electrically grounded, so they run as designed. It’s all about economics. Why focus on signal grounding if it’s only to tweak performance, and at what cost? Sometimes, though it doesn’t seem like much to the end consumer, on the scale of an auto manufacturer, even a $10 increase in the manufacture of an automobile becomes significant.
Take for example, an accessory lighter (power) socket which costs the manufacturer $10 to install. For the convenience of those with cell phones and radar detectors, this seems like an inconsequential cost and makes sense to supply as standard equipment. The manufacturer needs to install these sockets into, for example, 1 million cars. This seemingly insignificant cost just ballooned to $10 MILLION, for something many buyers may not even notice, and suddenly becomes a factor in a huge part of the shareholder’s profits! And I assure you, the R&D and using the pure copper cable and materials required to optimize signal grounding is going to cost considerably more than just $10!

Wow, I never thought about it like that before! So why does the wire need to be constructed out of such high quality and expensive material? Couldn’t I just use cheap 4 gauge wire or something similar?

I guess you could, but most that have made this out of cheaper wire don’t report the same benefits. The problem is that cheaper wire is variable in quality. With economy wire, you’re never certain that the wire you use is going to be effective or not.
Good Hyper-Ground systems use 99.9+ % oxygen-free copper strands, usually over 400 strands in each cable. The strand count is important because of the “high frequency skin effect” where the high frequency components of a signal waveform tend to travel only on the surface of the wire bundle and doesn’t actually use much of the core of the wire itself. Even the construction configuration of the wire bundle can make a difference in signal transmission. Just ask any audiophile that’s spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars on esoteric interconnect cables and speaker wires for his audio system! Quality Hyper-Ground cable is chemical and heat resistant to withstand the harsh environment under the hood of your car. GroundingGear™ cable strands are also plated to resist oxidation.
I believe that even the terminal lugs are important. Most commercial kits use gold plated lugs. They look impressive, and can be less prone to oxidation. The problem with the gold plated lugs is that you don’t really know what quality they are in terms of the core material under that pretty surface. The cheapest ones are just made of inferior metal that really doesn’t conduct very well and can cost less than $.25 each! Most of the actual signal conduction on these types of lugs takes place along that thin gold layer, plated on the surface! Another thing to watch for is how well the copper strands are sealed against oxidation. If you’ve seen the good speaker wire like Monster Cable™ after a few years, you’ll notice oxidation creeping up under the jacket. My fear is that with the harsh conditions under the hood, the process will be accelerated. GroundingGear™ is constructed to minimize wire strand oxidation, partially with construction material and technique, the design of the lugs that are used, and through the proprietary use of a joint sealant. The shrink tubing used is uniquely clear to finish off the ends for appearance, and for ease of spotting potential cable wire-to-terminal lug problems, and oxidation where it’s most likely to start. GroundingGear™ uses the solid copper terminal lugs for their superior electrical conduction properties, as well as for the way they seal against oxidation which is poor or impossible on gold-plated terminals, and installed using crimpers that are custom designed and made for GroundingGear Ltd that ensure maximum signal transmission and mechanical integrity. Again, it’s about signal, not electrical conduction. Quality construction and material yields maximum benefits. Interestingly, I know of a few instances where the lugs have fallen off during installation of a brand-name Hyper-Ground kit from a highly regarded Performance Company! It may be that they were just poor samples that slipped through the inspector at the Far-East factory in which the kits were made, but it’s something to be aware of, even with high profile brand names. Ask where the kit is actually made, and consider quality control issues!

Don’t copper lugs also oxidize over time?

Not for a very long time, and solid copper will just oxidize on the surface which is very easy to clean with a wire brush or pad. The end-user can always coat them with anti-oxidant grease, but it’s really not necessary. Given the conduction qualities and what I’ve already discussed, I believe it’s a better compromise than using gold plated lugs.

Other than being very picky about the materials and construction of GroundingGear™, what differentiates your product from the others?

GroundingGear™ Custom Series Systems are engineered to determine the number, usually 5 to 7, and lengths of wires required for each specific vehicle, and include full instructions, hardware, and pictures as necessary, rather than being offered only as a generic kit like most on the market. An individual assessment of each vehicle application is done to determine the most likely ground points that will safely improve performance, for that specific vehicle, rather than just tell the end user to hap-hazardly connect to random points on the engine and chassis. Choosing grounding points shouldn’t be random, and should be assessed based on sound electrical engineering theory.
I’ve witnessed points being chosen by installers of generic kits that are unlikely to show any benefit from Hyper-Grounding. Some points chosen actually didn’t even display electrical continuity! I don’t believe in using the popular grounding blocks and materials that can introduce more noise into the system, and I don’t believe in compromising signal quality by using 8 gauge wire or wire from an unknown manufacturer, so I spec materials based on known quality, not price or just for esthetics.
I also offer a choice of colour, currently Red or Blue for those with a flamboyant nature and for show, and Smoke for that “stealthy”, understated look. I personally manufacture each kit (I still do only limited numbers), ensuring that they’re of the highest quality possible. I’ve had numerous enthusiasts tell me that GroundingGear™ are actually better constructed and engineered than any others they’ve seen, at any price!
I’ve also pioneered the use of more than just the basic 5 or 6 wires that is standard for most other kits, especially since I specialize in doing Infiniti G35 and Nissan 350Zs. I was the first to run a full length wire to Hyper-Ground the transmission of these vehicles which has benefited automatic transmission response. Many of the points chosen by knock-off kits sold on E-Bay have been based on GroundingGear™ development. A few companies doing this commercially in the US have incorporated GroundingGear™ developed points and extra wires into their own kits. I offer what I believe to be the largest number of different Custom System Applications of any company in the world!
My company has successfully developed the use of additional wire options for certain vehicles like the G35 and 350Z (currently up to 10 in total) which have received overwhelmingly positive feedback as making a noticeable improvement over even the basic systems, as well as significantly improving shift quality and response. A few companies are currently looking at copying these additions as well.
Because of demand, I now offer two 6-wire Universal kits, the P and the G Series that are designed to fit Sub-compact to Midsize, and Compact to Full size vehicles, similar to the only offerings of most other manufacturers. But the instructions included consider signal grounding optimization rather than electrical grounding to help the installer determine the most likely effective ground points. Also included, is the exclusive GroundFitter™ Assessment Tool to help with the installation.

Will the Hyper-Ground System affect the factory warranty?

Not likely. Hyper-Grounding is a passive modification, which simply supplement and enhance the grounding paths that are already there. I provide GroundingGear™ kits for various new car (OEM) dealerships. Their service departments have recommended GroundingGear™ to clients that are looking for enhancements to performance and vehicle response, and offer installation. The Custom Series applications are engineered for the specific vehicles offered at those dealerships. I’ve been told that they like
Hyper-Grounding as it’s both safe and proven effective, so GroundingGear™ Hyper-Ground Systems have become a welcome addition in their Parts Departments.

Your day-job is significantly different from working with automobiles. How did you get into this?

Well, I’ve always been something of a car enthusiast. With Earthing kits, I started as a true skeptic. I couldn’t believe that people were paying upwards of $200 to $300 for a “bunch of wires”! After extensively researching the systems, I decided to engineer my own set. After installation, I couldn’t believe the difference they made the very next time I drove my G35! I initially thought “placebo effect” had a lot to do with it. I decided to ask for feedback from others, and helped them build or source their own kits. With the positive feedback of what Hyper-Grounding did, word spread, and I was then asked repeatedly if I would mind making a few sets, which I did in limited quantities, partly to gather empirical data. The local Infiniti Dealer’s General Manager was so impressed with what Hyper-Grounding did when he test drove my car, he had me ground his personal 350Z, G35, Frontier, and make kits for customers of other cars sold at the dealership. GroundingGear Ltd was then formed. I’ve done cars for the staff of several dealerships, and the feedback’s been great! Knowing that my workmanship is going into auto enthusiasts’ vehicles all over North America and turning skeptics like myself into believers, is very rewarding! I even have several GroundingGear™ Systems in cars as far away as Guam!

What else can you tell me about GroundingGear™ Systems?

I spoke with several electrical engineers who told me that good grounding is one of THE most important factors in how every electrical system operates. Without it, even the most sophisticated circuit will perform at a sub-optimum level or even fail. Good signal grounding is even more important, given the increasing reliance on computers in modern automobiles. Automotive Hyper-Ground systems made a lot of sense to them.
More and more high-performance companies are coming out with their own Hyper-Ground kits, still based on supplementing the electrical ground paths rather than the signal ground path. I believe this is the reason for much of the variable feedback and continued skepticism. Some are even making what I feel to be are overly optimistic claims for horse power gains. I believe that gains are there to be had, but maybe not to the extent some would have you to believe. However, I’ve done testing on a wide variety of vehicles, and it’s made a positive difference in virtually all of them! At minimum, some report that the improvement in idle quality alone is worth it, as well as the reassurance that their vehicles are optimally grounded for signal integrity. It’s turned out to be a reasonably priced mod that actually increases engine efficiency and vehicle performance, and important to some, customizes their engine bays for that “cool” factor! I know that it does more and costs less than many mods that don’t do anything other than for looks or bragging rights. I’m also told that the more performance mods you do to your engine, the greater the difference Hyper-Grounds may make because of the increased importance of getting accurate and timely information to the ECU and back to the engine components. So it’s something that you can put in early in your car’s life, allowing you to enjoy the benefits of smoothness and improved throttle response, and will continue to grow with your need for improved performance!

Copyright © 2003/04 GroundingGear Ltd. All rights reserved.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 08-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Administrator
Re: Hyper-Ground FAQs

An example of my own GroundingGear™

<font color=red>[Edit addition Feb 2/04] <font color=green> I’ve been asked several times if I still supply GroundingGear™ kits for forum members.

I offer GroundingGear™kits in limited quantities as a courtesy to our forum members. This is the same GroundingGear™ as sold by various OEM Dealerships, including Infiniti/Nissan, Lexus, Subaru, Honda, VW/Audi, etc. for $230 to $280 CDN and forum member price is less than what I wholesale at cost to the dealers (I consider you guys as my R&D, just post your impressions, and feed back on the forum). This is the only place where I sell direct and only for the G35 though many other Custom and Universal kits are available. I refuse to compete with the prices of the ‘knock-off’ kits made in a basement somewhere as it would alienate the authorized dealers of GroundingGear™, however, my price has been the same as reputable suppliers like Z-Xtreme. If you are interested in being Equipped with authentic GroundingGear™, PM gordgee.</font color=green>
<font color=red>[Edit addition Mar 26/04] <font color=green>Since some have asked, if anyone wants a
GroundingGear™ Activated Carbon HEPA Filter at the same time as your GroundingGear™, I'll include the shipping costs of the filter at the same time with the S&H of the GroundingGear™ set.</font color=green>

Some other sources to purchase Hyper-Ground Kits Commercially:

http://www.tornactive.com/pd_hyper.cfm

www.nismo.com ( http://164.46.112.185/NissanParts/SkylineV35/Engine.htm)

http://www.sunautomobile.com

www.Z-Xtreme.com

Stillen

Some Info to follow at my350z.com. Also do a search there for grounding kits.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...0&pagenumber=1

<font color=green>GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=green>

82598-Jenny's Job 001.JPG

Old 08-04-2003, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Here's where it started for me. This is a picture of the original NISMO ground kit for the 350Z that a couple of our 'Z-Brothers' first bought and tried for $200 USD! All wire lengths of the custom kits for our G35 have since been adapted through trial and error. Each manufacturer's custom kit length may vary, but the NISMO lengths are a good place to start. I suggest using the minimum workable length to each ground point.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

82659-Nismo Ground.jpg

Old 01-17-2004, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Interesting Q&A to add from another thread:

max2DGG: "...I read something about grounding wires making your car's idle a bit lower, but I was wondering if this was actually so?"

SixFive: "...some also have speculated that it's just a more accurate reading on the guage as the analog insturments are actually "wired". "

6MT_Coupe: "Why would grounding the car lower the idle RPM of the engine? I personally don't think you are just getting a more accurate reading of the engine RPM... I am not saying that I know this for sure, but as an electrical engineer it just doesn't make any sense..."

"The feedback that I've gotten is that it can lower the idle on some cars, but usually not to a significant degree. Usually the ECU tends to raise the idle to ensure an efficient, smooth idle, such as on initial startup on a cold engine. When it reads that the engine is running smoothly (no stumbling, etc.), it lowers the RPM if it can maintain the optimal parameters for the idle conditions present. Since the H-G system optimizes the overall efficiency of the running engine (which may explain the reported smoothness throughout the rev band), it would follow that the engine is able to idle at a slightly lower RPM."

6MT_Coupe: "I have read through the post that you indicated several times, and I read your explanation... I guess that sounds reasonable if the ECU is continuously monitoring the "engine smoothness" (whatever physical or electrical measurement that is) and then has a control system that automatically adjusts the idle RPM for gasoline efficiency.. This is getting a little deep into it, but I really wish I knew what was really going on..."

Old 01-29-2004, 05:52 PM
Administrator

A few people have asked what kind of crimper I use for GroundingGear™. It's a custom designed tool that can apply up to 4000 pounds per square inch and ensures a mechanically superior connection and maximum transfer of electrical signal. Here's a close up of the head unit and the attachment that allows consistent lug connections every time!

179406-Machine Crimper, reduced.JPG

Old 02-18-2004, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Since one of the comments about the giant thread is that people have to read through several hours of posts in order to see what Hyper-Grounding does, I've finally compiled feedback from users of GroundingGear™. These are from posts on the H-G thread and from PMs and direct feedback that I've received, and since no one has objected to me quoting them, I include most of them here:

<font color=blue>“Got and installed my kit today (7 wires from GG). WOW. I was somewhat of a skeptic, but NO MORE. I took a 20 mile jaunt from my neighborhood (25mph) to the highway (85 mph max) and back. Here are the things I noticed:
1) starts smoother
2) sounds smoother! very nice effect.
3) shifts amazingly! Shifting is a good 50% smoother and seems to happen faster.
4) manumatic shifting is quicker, not as much lag
5) shuts off smoother...
Best $$ I've spent on a car in a long time!”
“With all the positive feedback the improved grounding gives about the general feel of a car...it AMAZES me that the luxo car brands don't do this from the factory to improve ride quality, etc of their vehicles.”
J.R. Solon, Ohio

“GG! YOU THE MAN!! I have seen grounding kits before, and this is by far the best I've seen ...!” J.O. New York, NY

“I have had my red seven wire grounding kit installed on my coupe for over a week now and I have the following observations:
- the quality of the kit is impressive and adds to the look of the engine compartment.
- the installation of the kit was pretty easy and straight forward
- the engine seems smoother at 4000 rpm and up
- the transmission seems more responsive and the shifts seem more positive
This was a great upgrade for the $...Thanks GG...” B.M. Edmonton, AB

“Thanks for sending 7 wires to Raleigh last weekend. I've got 5 in and GD. It's pretty amazing. Thanks for the help on getting me closer to 280hp in the sedan…car was much smoother overall…The car is more BMW like in smoothness.” S.F. Raleigh, NC

“Your kit exudes 1st class quality, much nicer than the Stillen kit and for less $$$ to boot! Very well done, GG. Shifts seem to be smoother. During idle, I barely can tell the engine is running. Butt dyno tells me that there is a little more oomph than before… Thanks for sharing your knowledge and making available your high quality Hyper-Ground kits. This is not voodoo electronics. There are tangible results after installing the kits, as many happy customers can attest. Performance-wise, the Hyper-Ground kit is a better investment than the $ that I spent (elsewhere)” M.J. Modesto, CA

“GG, I installed them last night and they look fabulous…The car seems to feel silky smooth in actual driving. Shifting is also smoother…I did notice quicker throttle response…Very good work GG. Proud to have your products in my car”
“I definitely feel that the car is running smoother. The kit is worth it. Shifting is crisper and throttle response is much quicker.” …“I must agree with you uclajeff, GG's kit is top notch.” M.B. Pflugerville, Tx.”

“WOW! I just got and installed GG's Grounding kit and I must say, I am impressed. I mean, I had no idea what a difference it would make. The car definitely starts up smoother and shifts much, much smoother. Acceleration feels completely different. I thought before that the car was pretty smooth, but with the kit it's night and day - like a whole different car. Like I said, I'm impressed. All in all, this is a great investment!” …“After driving for a few days with the kit in... it makes my gas gauge much more accurate. By this I mean, when I start the car, the needle always moves to where it was when I turned off my car, and it does a better job of staying where it should be, not moving up or down in drastic fashion before eventually settling at the right point.” J.H. San Jose, CA

“Got my kit from GG yesterday and put it on last night. I have definitely become a believer in what has been said on this thread. HOLY COW did I notice a difference!
I spent about 30 minutes before putting it on driving the G35 around making mental notes of a "before" picture. After the install I took the same route as before. Man, what a change! GG's kit is very well built. Definitely top notch and quality workmanship. I would recommend this mod to everyone! GET A KIT!” J.C. Dunlap, IL

“I just received the ground wires from GG. Construction and quality is top notch.”
“I installed the 5pt Ground Wires Kit that GG made for my Altima 3.5SE. I noticed the headlights are a little brighter. The engine is more willing to rev and the engine is running smoother than before. Before the wires, the engine would hesitate intermittently but now it's much smoother. I don't know if I gain any HP but the increase in smoothness is definitely noticeable.” …“GG you're da man!” D.P. Flushing, NY

“for the VW 1.8 T . It definitely makes a difference with the idle- much smoother and less tach variance, ie. more stable. There’s noticeably less lag getting to 6000 RPM, and the throttle is more responsive. Also with the A/C on, there’s less effect on the engine and more power." L.P. Edmonton, AB

“Got my GG Grounding kit and installed it yesterday. Quality of the kit is top notch professional! Driving impressions: shifts faster. Gas gauge seems to behave better. Hauls *** in a big way!”…“I'm starting to notice some thing I really like! When I'm not under acceleration (seldom) the engine is so quiet that it sounds like it is turned off. The gas gauge definitely operates better and I do believe when I'm under full throttle (warp 10) the engine sings beautifully smoother.”…“Now that the GG grounding kit has been on for 2 tanks of gas, I can definitely state the fuel gauge now read consistently. Love the smoothness in acceleration. Slow driving response is sooooo much better, due the 7th transmission wire? Got to upgrade my wife's 2000 Maxima! Do you make kits for the Max? Love my GG grounding!” D.B. Sugarland , TX

“For the CIVIC Si…took a short ride around the neighbourhood. So far, it's much smoother and quieter at idle. I love the response with the A/C on as it used to bog the engine so much I'd usually drive with it off. Now I don’t have to. Smoother rev'ing through-out the range. I notice much more improvement and power than with the Cold Air Intake I spent A LOT MORE FOR!” K.A. Edmonton, AB

“Amazingly, I noticed a difference by the time I got to the end of the parking lot! I noticed the change all the way home. Smoother, and more responsive. Then my wife drove it not knowing I'd done anything to the car and asked me later why the car feels 'more solid' to drive!” W.M. Edmonton, AB

“Ok....so I just installed the GG's grounding kit. install was pretty dern easy. so I go to start up my car trying not to let my head get in the way of really trying to see and feel a difference (I had a feeling that maybe I would just think and imagine that things were different). The car starts up smoother and quicker… DEFINITELY noticeable. Idle is smoother and rpms drop down faster and smoother when I rev up the engine. I am pretty blown away at the fact that 5 wires can make such a difference...I have to say that I was one of the skeptical ones when it came to the improvement that this kit could really produce, but it really does make a difference. I have to say that the kit is the best $ I have ever spent.” J.O. New York, NY

“…even girls can do it! I installed GG's 5 wire kit on my 6MT sedan yesterday. Took about an hour. I did a "blind" test today. Didn't tell my boy friend, who's an EE, multiple Bimmer owner, track driver/instructor and general all round motor head. Had him drive my car and he noticed differences right away, but I didn't tell him what it was. After the ride, he pops the hood to take a look with the car running. He couldn't believe it. I had talked with him about the whole HG kit theory over a month ago and he had dismissed the whole notion. Now he's a convert.”…“ So he checked out all the wires and commented what nice materials and what a fine job you do making the kit. Then we went for another spin where he checked out the feel and revs, with and without A/C. It was a hot humid day. His final comment "Do ya think your friend on the board makes kits for 1976 BMW 2002s?" Bottom line: My revs are 150 to 200 lower in neutral idle.
At any given shift point, my speed is higher. Soon as I shift the revs drop down in a flash--much sooner than before. Even with the A/C on, the car runs smoother, quieter, shifting feels much more fluid. You had mentioned to me that the effects were subtle. Actually, I find the effects to be pretty noticeable and easily quantified just from the standpoint of the idle, shifting, and revs. My BF was so impressed he said "Don't be surprised if your mileage improves." I got such a kick out of making a believer out of a skeptical EE!” D.R. Philadelphia, PA

“I took it out for a test run and found that my G35 drives WAY SMOOTHER! My shifts are much smoother and quicker than before. For the money, this is one of the best improvements I've made so far.” B.K. Huntington Beach, CA

“GG: kit rec'd w thanks & has been installed for 2 wks now (about 500 km)...initial impressions echo others who feel snappier starts, shifts & overall performance plus increased fuel economy...this item adds an "o", making a great car that is already "smoo-o-th" into one that is "smoo-o-o-th"!...many thanks to you for all your efforts.”
T.A. Coquitlam, BC

“I have to be honest with you, at first I really didn't think anyone’s Hyper-Grounds would make a difference. I reset my ECU when I installed your kit and found the first few test runs inconclusive. However, over a two and a half week period something wonderful has happened to my car. My dyno-butt indicates the engine now runs stronger. Off idle starting torque is much better and the 3000RPM rush to redline is much faster. The auto trans now shifts with more authority and does so much closer to redline. Under conservative driving situations, the auto shifts much quicker and it happens seamlessly.” D.O. Helendale, CA

“The kit is excellent and I can really appreciate the detail you placed into the directions, labeling, and overall quality. I wish everything I purchased was like that but then many attorneys would be jobless. I did start the G35 and the initial feeling is that it felt like the day I installed an MSD ignition in my old 70 Mustang MACH I or when I installed and electric fan on my old 91 supercharged Mustang. A feeling of less load on the engine/more efficient operation. It was well worth it.” D.S. Folsom, CA

“First impressions
- general smoothness in the reving of the engine
- so much so that my wife even noticed (and wants the keys more often!).
It’s more like an electric engine (linear power), much more behaved. I don't think its slower or weaker, but its just easier to run at revs.” G.T. Walnut Creek, CA

“We got the Maxima back from the body shop yesterday. Man, it felt as smooth as the G35! Never noticed that before. The car just felt like it was rock solid and smooth as silk. She (the wife) said she noticed how smooth the Maxima had become!” D.B. Houston, TX

“OUTSTANDING QUALITY!!!! You can definitely feel the difference in smoothness... Feels almost silky after install. Very happy with this mod, red cables look great under the hood...and you can FEEL the difference...” L.C. Streamwood, IL

“It's almost like driving a brand new car. I really noticed that the acceleration seems much more responsive; it certainly seems that I get to 80 km/hr a lot quicker. The transmission shifts are quicker and much smoother than before. Overall the whole car seems to run smoother and more efficiently. My 12 year old daughter asked if I was accelerating faster, and if so, to STOP it!” D.P. Edmonton, AB

(From Carl, the senior service advisor of the local Infiniti) “I finally got a chance to drive (my friend’s) car. Well, Holy Jeesus! I honestly didn't notice much when I drove in stop and go traffic. Maybe a little smoother. But then I got to open it up! Man, what a difference! I thought a turbo got snuck in there or something! I get to drive a lot of the customer's cars here, as well as the loaner G35s. I've been recommending GroundingGear™ to some of the customers. Now I'm glad I got a chance to see what a difference it makes! Can you do my van?” C. W. Edmonton, AB

(For a modded VW VR-6 of a VW salesman) “Wow, what a difference! The idle settled down right after (some runs at WOT) and is much more stable than before the GroundingGear™. It seemed that the ECU needed to run through the rev band to figure out what to do with the information or something, and now it knows. It's incredible! It now pulls hard from all RPMs and in all gears! It was like the difference when I 1st chipped it (for $500)! And the way it pulls, it's like the time when I put in 103 octane gas and the chipped ECU knew what to do with it! My friend came for a drive with me. He couldn't believe it. Thinks I can easily pull on him in his WRX now!” H. A. Edmonton, AB

(From Ross, a Dealer service advisor with a BMW 325 Ci. Ross also races IMC Modified class and Stocks, so he thought that he'd be able to objectively say what his impressions were on the GroundingGear™ installed in his car) “What I noticed right off the bat was that the acceleration felt a lot crisper. The throttle response was better, and it seems to rev more freely to 5500 RPM. Also, the car had a 'cleaner feel' which is kind of hard to describe otherwise! All-in-all, the (GroundingGear™) seems to be well worth it! I'm happy, and I'm going to tell some of the service guys over at (BMW) about it next time I'm there!” R.G. Edmonton, AB

“On my Subaru Outback Sport. Things that I’ve noticed since the GroundingGear™ install: Better torque. More responsive. The auto transmission shifts faster without that delay that I used to get.” R.W. Calgary, AB

“I just received the kit! All I can say is WOW! You delivered high quality materials and very easy to understand instructions. I will confirm that it does everything you said it would...I drove it right away and felt the difference right when it started up, there was a huge difference in shifting especially in manual mode letting it downshift by itself. I even felt some power difference… I can assure you that this mod truly improved the performance of my G35. Thanks a lot for a great product!” S.G. Hemet, CA

“I had filled out my gas tank completely full right after the install of the grounding gear, and usually after around 260 miles, I would need to fill up, but this time, I the car went as much as 330 miles. That is a big difference indeed. This mod is well worth it for me…I am a happy camper!!!” J.N. Winnetka, CA

“Had my GroundingGear installed and seems like the engine is reving really smooth now. Have decided not to install the popcharger… my car is running really well right now and I don't want to push my luck with any further mods. So, you can have my popcharger for free if you would like. If you are interested, this one has your name on it.” S.M. Edmonton, AB

“It looks like the GroundingGear was a good investment. After it was installed, the first thing I noticed was that an objectionable, high-pitched noise from the engine compartment was muted -- no idea what the cause was, but somehow it was helped. The biggest improvement was throttle response. My 95 GM V8 pickup was noisy in first gear, and always had seemed to struggle to get up some speed -- now it just pulls away from stop signs, quietly getting the job done. I'm anticipating an improvement in gas mileage, as the engine rpm's seem to be a bit lower both idling and running ... it idles at about 650 now, down from 800, and on the highway with the cruise set at 105 the tach reads 1600, down from 1800 on a level stretch.” D.B. Onoway, AB

“Received the package yesterday. Beautiful workmanship. I will try to install this weekend, time and weather permitting. Thank you very much again.” J.C. Rahway. NJ

“Purely amazing!! I've had my G35 for almost 2 Years now, and after the install, I noticed a few things Change / Improve. These improvements started from the moment I started the car.....Starting - A little smoother and starts quicker now. Idle - The car idles a little lower approx. 450 - 475 RPM Sound System - It might just be me, but the sub on the Bose system sounds like it's stronger. Acceleration - The cars feels as though it pushes a little more than before, but I believe this is contributed to the smoothness of the gear changes. This is really noticeable when you change the car into the Manual mode. Lights - I think this might be me, but I've noticed a little more sharpness in the lights.
I have to say, Gordon you have out done yourself. You have created a very high quality set of wires, and I would recommend you and Grounding Gear to anyone that is looking for some Grounding Wires. It's not that expensive to do, and makes a lot of sense to do this install looking at the benefits you receive from this kit. I don't know how the gas mileage will do, but I'll get back to you on that after a few fill ups!!
Both my friend and I were very proud to put the Grounding Gear Equipped Stickers on our Cars!! My Friend told me to pass on a message, which comes from me as well.
Thank you, and we are proud to say Our Cars are Grounding Gear Equipped!!”T.M. Mississauga, ON

“Results on the 2000 Pontiac Grand AM (Quad 4 - AT) - Engine Mods: RAM Air Intake and Grounding Gear:
Very Impressed on the results on the install... noticed a lot of things improve... Starting - Better than before. Very quick. Idle - Dropped slightly, but stabilized. Lights - Constantly bright... an aftermarket system in the car with two 12 inch subs in the back. When pounding the system, lights start to dim when coming to a stop... does not happen anymore. Acceleration - car picks up faster than before. Very smooth acceleration and the shifts between gears are not as jerky as before. Much smoother gear changes.” A.H.Mississauga, ON

“(With the ECU/TCU/+1 add-ons) First start up was noticeably smoother...I was very happy with the construction and quality - better even than (a competitor) who does pretty well too. I like it a lot and find the tranny is really buttery smooth now and lower end seems smooth too. Everything seem better connected (tranny to engine) and the shifts seem seamless in ways I had only wished them to be back when I first bought the car. I thought the shifts used to be a little clunky before any wires and now it’s like it should be. The tranny is the beneficiary of this and it's noticeable. The Shifts are crisper and the manumatic mode seems to react faster and cleaner. D shifts are seamless now. While they were already good, they are little better I think. I didn't care for the "feel" of this tranny when I got the car and the 10 wires have effectively made it 3 series like. The smoothness of the engine down low and a more smoothly thinking tranny have me liking them together now. It's straight six like! The unwanted mechanical sounds and shudder of all shifts are gone.” C.B. Norristown PA

“I was amazed that I was able to smoothly accelerate faster. The shifting of gears is no longer felt. Normally when I accelerate, it goes up around 4500 rpm, drops to about 2500 moving to the next gear. Now it never goes below 3000. A nice improvement in speed and comfort.
I previously thought my car was loud in the cabin because of the tires, but after installing GroundingGear, it turns out it was the engine making the noise all along. Its much more quieter and I now listen to the radio at volume 7 instead of 10.
It is definitely worth the money.” J.L. Melbourne FL

“Now for best part.... The Automatic transmission has improved a great deal especially in the Manual Mode. I don't care what anybody else thinks or says I noticed a huge difference. When I got my car it had just come off the truck so it only had 3 or 6 miles on it. I tried the manual mode several times but didn't like it as it sometimes ignored your requests even though it would not have put it over the redline or under revved the car. It also seemed to have some kind of noticeable delay when you shifted to the next gear or downshifted.
I now find myself using the manual mode a lot now. It’s so responsive now it brings a smile to my face. I even did a pretty nice downshift where it snapped my head back.” J.V. Marietta, CA

“Excellent workmanship on the wires. They look great. As far as improvements go...smooooth... Throttle response is crisper too.” S.M. Hudson, NH

“Installed the wires. Gotta tell you, the improvement in shifting is NOTICEABLE. They are definitely quicker, as in you can tell that the time between you signaling a shift and the tranny INITIATING the shift (the rest is of course up to the valve body - something I am remedying soon). Good deal. I am pretty sure the ECU wire just supplies a cleaner signal - not sure if it adds hp, but something I definitely wanna have - especially with my upcoming turbos....
Just want to say that after installing GG’s 8'th and ECU/TCU wires I definitely feel a very positive difference with respect to shifting, more so than my recent TCU flash. The shifts are quicker!... Get GG's grounding wires. I believe you will notice a difference in shifting firmness and quickens and better general response! Good job GG!” G.B. San Francisco, CA

“Ground Gear system worked out well on my 2003 AT Sedan. IMO, it's a great modification... and I started out an unbeliever… In my subjective opinion, GG's 10-wire Ground Gear System works very well. I understand and appreciate the amount of R&D as well as the quality put into the systems..” D.O. Helendale, CA

“I installed GG's 10 wire Grounding Gear on my 5AT a week and a half ago and I would say the shift response in both AT and MM were the most significant changes. They were faster no doubt. My 20 year old son agrees when he drove it post mod. This is not a neck snapping performance mod but on my AT it made the shifts faster. I think it is a good mod......” R.J. Marietta, GA

On a '97 Plymouth Voyager 3.3, various responses from the family: “I never noticed it idling that low before (at 600 rpm)! The pick-up seems to be better now.” G.S.
He didn’t tell his wife what to expect. Her Comments: “I don't have to give it as much gas and it accelerates faster from a stop!” C.S.
Several days later she stated that she forgot to tell her son that they had added GroundingGear™ and he reported on a “blind drive”: “Why does the car feel so different?” I asked him later about his impressions. “It goes better without having to give it as much gas, shifts better, and is a lot smoother. Now that I know what was done, I can’t believe how much difference it made!” K.S. Edmonton, AB

From a Certified Electronic Engineering Technician with 21 years in the field of automotive electronics re his 2000 Ford F250 with the Triton V10 engine: “I really know my truck and its behavior so I’m very sensitive to any changes. What I noticed after the (GroundingGear™) install is lower and smoother idle. It was smooth before, but now I can hardly tell the engine is on! There’s also quicker throttle response and slightly better acceleration! Very impressive considering it has 310 HP and 425 ft-lbs of torque to begin with! It definitely does something!” B.M. Edmonton, AB

“I received my 7 wire GroundingGear™ kit last Wednesday. Thank you very much. I had the Sun Auto Hyper-Ground Kit in before and removed because my clear wires turned yellow. The red on your kit makes such a huge appearance boost on mine, it's incredible. I installed the kit on Friday. Haven't driven much but I do feel the smoothness that I had before with the old kit in. Haven't gotten the car jacked to get the 7th wire on so right now I'm just running the 6. I'm going to try to get the 7th on soon! Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for improving my G35's appearance and performance with such a low cost mod!” T.M. Mundelein, IL

“I’m not that knowledgeable a car person, but I noticed changes in the car (VW TDI) right away. It was noticeably smoother. It also had a lot more pick-up!” S.B. Edmonton, AB

“Here's my impression, "Wahoo!" I believe it does feel smoother overall if that is possible. Stock it was smooth, 7-wire smoother and now...wow. I didn't mention it earlier 'cause I thought I was crazy. Really that and the shifting amaze me. Greatly improved shifting in manumatic and auto too from the limited time I use that. Really feels great, so much so that I may not ask the dealer to download the AL004 TCU program. I don't see how it could get better. Not sure there's any delay between shifts. At that sensitivity it has to rival a good manual shifter. Thanks for your contributions to the G world. Thanks again.” M.G. Portland OR

“DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!! WHAT A DIFFERENCE, THROTTLE RESPONSE, SHIFTING WAS AMAZING, FELT LIKE I HAD 20 MORE LB/FT. AMAZING FIRST MOD TO THE CAR. I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE AFTER THE ECU GROUND INSTALL, I HOPE ITS AS GOOD.” K. D. Ottawa, ON

“My Honda Civic DX has always felt underpowered. The GroundingGear™ made quite a difference. The car is much more responsive to the gas pedal now! On a short stretch of road near my house, I just hit 120 km/hr! I usually can only hit about 90, so that’s quite a bit better! I’m really very happy with what it’s done! K.E. Edmonton, AB

“The (Civic) engine is definitely smoother. The throttle and engine response seems more ‘solid’ now, and it pulls more evenly throughout the rpm band. The A/C affects the power less. At 140 km/hr, it’s (the engine) much more stable!” D.M. Edmonton, AB

From the GM of an Infiniti/Nissan Dealership who has the basic 6 wire system for his 350Z. Added were the newly developed additional 2 wires for the “350Z 6MT Performance Series” System (8-Wires): "It makes a noticeable improvement now, especially in 1st and 2nd gear! Pulls harder and it's more responsive. No longer weather dependent. (For my car) it’s added a lot of performance over even the basic set." R.S. Edmonton, AB

(A BMW 735i owner came to me complaining that he’d always had an issue with how roughly his car idled, and despite numerous attempts, the technicians have never been able to resolve. As a matter of interest, I did a GroundingGear™ System for him to see what, if any, benefits might be noticed) “The idle is smoother now, and the throttle response is improved.” T.S. Edmonton, AB

“(After the basic install on the 6MT) I find now that it does accelerate a *bit* smoother and somewhat quicker. But more importantly, before, when I ever revved or needed to push the car a bit and I was switching gears at high rpms, the car seemed to roar really loudly and unpleasantly. It seemed to really dislike it. NOW, I find that it doesn't seem to mind when I hit the clutch at 5000rpm, it’s not yelling, just roaring the way I like it… I took my car into the dealership for its 12K service and told one of the mechanics that I had put it on. They were pretty blown away by seeing it. I went back in a week later for a 'rattle' and the same mechanic brought my car out to me. He said for sure he could tell the difference in the clutch (of all places!) and said it was the smoothest he'd driven ever! He said he could really tell - and I'm guessing he drives a fair bit of these G35 coupe 6MTs around!... As a Day 2 update on the ECU (now that it’s installed). I have to admit that I'm really enjoying the difference. Its really has a lot of get-up-and-go now. Before I liked being in 3rd and speeding up around 3500 to 4000 rpm. It had a great kick and good sound. NOW, I find all the gears are rocking and not even that high in the rpm scale. 1st and 2nd really respond now and though I'm not a big 5th gear rider, I really find some oomph when I need it on the highway.” A.L. Toronto, ON</font color=blue>

Last Update, 16-Oct-04

<font color=blue>GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 02-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gordgee
Last Update, 16-Oct-04
I've had my new hyperground kit in the car for about 1 1/2 weeks now (September 24, 2004) (thanks Gord!). Here's what I did:

I went for a last drive with my old kit to get impressions before I removed it. I then reset the ECU (battery terminal touch method) and went for another drive to see how much difference it would make (not a whole lot it appears, but this may be due to my usual driving style as I like to run hard for a few minutes at least a few times a week).

Removed the old 6 wire (very popular make) kit from the car and did another ECU reset. Went for another run. Wow, I forgot how much coarser the car feels without the wires! Gas pedal was definitely not as responsive. Seemed to have lost some of that "peppy-ness".

Installed the basic 6 wires from Gord's kit. Went for another test run. Definitely an improvement over the old kit, but not day/night, but a huge improvement over the ungrounded car! Slightly smoother than with the old kit, and the car felt more connected to the gas pedal.

I finally added the remaining 4 wires that I understand Gord pioneered.

MY GOD! Amazing! It felt like the car just woke up from a snooze! Noticeable improvement over the basic 6 wires (especially over the old kit). It felt like I just got one of those really good tune-ups that you sometimes luck into! The car just seemed to be overall more solid feeling and "connected". It's the only way to describe it! There is now an immediacy to the throttle and over-all response that is truly addictive! The shift quality definitely improved (I had the factory re-flash done a while back and I was dissappointed). It now shifts as I believe it should! Still not as good as the BMW Sequential shifter in the M3, but probably as good as it gets without a full re-valve or re-build/design of the transmission.

For those skeptics that believe this is all placebo effect, I feel sorry for you. This truly is the best "Bang-for-your-buck" mod that I've ever done that makes a noticeable difference in day-to-day driving! I don't care if it makes any more horse-power or not. Mods that I've paid triple the price for haven't made as much difference (except sound). Even my wife, who didn't know I was installing Gord's kit, noticed the difference! She told me "Cam, it's great that you finally took the car in for a tune-up or what ever you had done, because the car feels wonderful now!" Even my collegue that I've been trying to convince into buying a G35 noticed!

So in fact, NOT noticing a difference may be in people's heads!

So Gord, I thank-you for your contribution to car enthusiasts everywhere!

Old 02-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks for your great report ckg, interesting . hummmmm, how can I sneak GG's wires past my wife
Wayne

Old 02-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the write up. So would you say that the 7+1, ecu & tcu is worth it? I was considering just the 7 wire set up, but have re-thought that recently.

Old 02-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ckg35:

I agree. I had the "very popular make" too. Grounding Gear is a heavier gauge wire. Better made IMO. The ECU, TCU wires make a difference.

GEE35X : Lol! I've been known to skip work in order to intercept deliveries....

Last edited by Xman; 02-19-2005 at 12:51 PM.