Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Is the G inherently slow... even at 400WHP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 01:04 PM
XKR
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
XKR,

Who did your work and when? Yes, the Porsche gets very expensive when you go beyond the stage 4 level. My point is that the car was built for FI to begin with and getting to the 500 whp level is (prices have dropped dramatically in the last 2 years....the real cost was in the R and D...which is now done for the 996) not that expensive, 10K nowadays.

Give my 76K and I can produce a rock solid 510 whp 996TT (540 on race file which is another $800).

The problem w/ the VQ is that the rods are pencil thin...they have to be replaced if you want a car w/ over 400 to the wheels. Also, the engine management has to be replaced.

Don't get me wrong, the G is a great car...the interiors are close to what you get in German cars and way better than the US cars...I love mine. But they are not cheap to make fast.

Would you be kind enough to give a comparison between your G and 996TT?
Sharif at Forged Performance did the work. He finished it in August 07. To be fair, I did spend way more than I posted because my car was built for road racing, so the price is not the norm, So I will not post the full price. There is things that Sharif did for my car that he would not do on most that made the price jump alot (Coolant bypass, Racing Radiator plus Shroud and bigger fans,Nav Pro..just a small example). Look at my sig and my cardomain site and you will see the list.

It would not be fair to my G to compare it to my modified Porsche. The Porsche is gutted, roll cage and all. BUT...If the Porsche was stock....the G would out perform it. The reason I purchased a G35 is because when my Porsche was in its stock form, I took it to a race track in Florida, and there was a G35 there that I could not get away from on the straight. In the corners, I felt that if he was a better driver...it would have been a long day for me. The owner is on G35driver....and that's as far as I will go. I was one of Porsches bigggggest fans until FP, GTM, PF and some of the other shops are making cars that out perform my Porsche in stock form for half the price. I am about to order the G37 and give it to Sharif to build.

In defense of Sharif (you said something about Forged) he will not try and sell you something you don't need. That's a fact. The only English he knows is "You don't need that." I am the one that kept telling him "I want it." If you call him and tell him you want 550 to 600 rwhp.....he will give you the safe minimum price. If you tell him you want that kind of power but you want to pay this lower price by taking a few things out.....if he feels its safe..he will do it....if he things its not safe....he will tell you he cant do it. He wont give you a price to hook you and then gut you when you come to pick the car up. Trust me...I was almost gutted by another shop!!

BTW...I am selling a brand new RPS Light Weight Flywheel and Clutch for half price. You can see a picture of it on my site.

Last edited by XKR; 08-31-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:10 PM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for illustrating my point: 450 is the limit WITH a built bottom end...and of course you will probably have problems w/ the EU, which is junk. I wouldn't go FI with anything less than a UTEC.

Your need to replace the tranny further proves my point.
Where did you get that 450 is the limit for a forged short block??? 450 happens to be the limit of the Turbonetics turbo, NOT the shortblock itself. You said yourself that 400 is the limit for a stock block, so why would you think a forged bottom end would only be good for 450?? Hell, there's people with a rev-up motor running 450 on a STOCK block. I think you need to do more research if you can't find cars running >500whp on forged shortblocks alone!!!

An upgraded tranny will cost me ~3k...added to my total is NOWHERE near the 40k or 80k numbers that you quoted earlier. Either you're exaggerating, or someone is playing you for a fool.

Also, don't tell me the EU is junk because that's a load of crap I'm not going to get into an EU vs Utec argument...I've been running this EU since I had the Vortech and my tune is rock solid. If you want to pay >1k for a Utec, or 3k for a V-Pro, go right ahead, but don't complain that it costs too much

Edit:

A forged shortblock depending on add-ons will run you 4-6k, another 3k to put it in, 6k for turbo kit, 2k to put it in, an Engine management, tune, plus other extras (clutch, flywheel, tranny, brakes, suspension, etc). A solid build for 550whp can be done in ~20k-25k....I don't know where you're getting your rediculous numbers from. Granted, >550 it would be a good idea (not necessary) to sleeve the block, but even then, you're still wayyyyy under your 40k estimate.

Last edited by 617G; 08-31-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:21 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts

Thank you for illustrating my point: 450 is the limit WITH a built bottom end...and of course you will probably have problems w/ the EU, which is junk. I wouldn't go FI with anything less than a UTEC.

No it's not. I don't have a built bottom end yet, that is my project for October. I am making about 425whp right now at 10psi on my STOCK internals and have been for 9 months and ~10k miles.

To your other point on needing a "long block" which I assume you are talking about head upgrades I can tell you the oem heads are good to at least 600whp. UMS Tuning did twinsnails car and with no headwork he made ~600. The biggest problems on the VQ are the rods and the compression is too high for lots of boost.

The other big problem that starts to come up at 550whp is the stock sleeves. You need to sleeve your block with a better kit to go above that with ultimate safety. Even then there are a number of guys out there running ~600whp without a sleeved block.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information but a lot of it is incorrect especially the 450whp being the limit of a built bottom end.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 617G
Also, don't tell me the EU is junk because that's a load of crap I'm not going to get into an EU vs Utec argument...I've been running this EU since I had the Vortech and my tune is rock solid. If you want to pay >1k for a Utec, or 3k for a V-Pro, go right ahead, but don't complain that it costs too much

I have to agree that the EU is a decent product. Most of the tuners on here and my350z don't like it but that does not mean it won't do the job.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:26 PM
XKR

Do a search.....there is a shop that just did a car with over 500rwhp with stock internals (I think it was Function Tuned)

95% of built bottom ends are over 500 rwhp

Dr_jitsu......I think you better run....you are about to get Internet Jumped. A lot of owners on here have over 425 rwhp on a stock motor with tt.

Last edited by XKR; 08-31-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
400hp on a G is going to be similar to 400hp on an IS300. Except for any differences in weight and gear ratios.

Basing your opinion using your old car (very good example) to some video (very bad example) isn't valid. If you have a chance, get a ride in some boosted Gs.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:41 PM
XKR,

You will like this one: On my first day at the track, at the end of the day I ran my GT2 in the unlimited group. A G35 sedan was on my *** and I was only staying ahead because I would pull away on the straights.

Come to find out the guy was a professional driver...just goes to show that on the track driving skill is the most important factor.

Please post how much it really cost (Shariff is probably the best, no doubt) you to get your G35 to its current level....so that people who are new to the VQ communitty aren't mislead by the half-truths on this thread. I started out the same way, mislead by the lie that FI only cost 10K.

Someone please post an invoice from a reputable shop for for a COMPLETE and safe G35 that can be ran hard for hours straight at the 550 whp plus level.

I say that because I drove my GT2 from Houston to Harrison Arkansas, 9 hours of hard driving at 590 to the wheels...I raced and beat 2 cars (a Cobra and a supercharged Trans Am) and I 750 bike). Agaisnt the Trans Am I braked hard safely from 170. To get a G35 to do that takes at least 35K, at least.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 08-31-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:46 PM
XKR
Originally Posted by DTG
Getting the info from seeing videos on youtube... sure it's probably some dumb azz bragging about how he spanked a G35 Turbo!

I'm from Dallas... I would love to see if anyone here has a twin turbo that i can go for a ride in. Any ideas?

Come down to Houston....I will give you an example of what 550rwhp feels like in a G35C

Old 08-31-2007, 01:51 PM
I am in Houston. We can run them this Sat. on the "Mexican Tollway". I can set it up to be videotaped.

EDit: OOps I didn't see that you were responding to someone else, XKR....I don't mean to give a disrespectful challenge.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:52 PM
XKR
XKR,

You will like this one: On my first day at the track, at the end of the day I ran my GT2 in the unlimited group. A G35 sedan was on my *** and I was only staying ahead because I would pull away on the straights.

Come to find out the guy was a professional driver...just goes to show that on the track driving skill is the most important factor.

Please post how much it really cost (Shariff is probably the best, no doubt) you to get your G35 to its current level....so that people who are new to the VQ communitty aren't mislead by the half-truths on this thread. I started out the same way, mislead by the lie that FI only cost 10K.

Someone please post an invoice from a reputable shop for for a COMPLETE and safe G35 that can be ran hard for hours straight at the 550 whp plus level.

I say that because I drove my car from Houston to Harrison Arkansas, 9 hours of hard driving at 590 to the wheels...I raced and beat 2 cars (a Cobra and a supercharged Trans Am) and I 750 bike). Agaisnt the Trans Am I braked hard safely from 170. To get a G35 to do that takes at least 35K, at least.

Did you check out the list on Cardomain? I forgot to add the $2500 Carbon Triple Clutch. I will PM you the price. People on her frown if I post it out.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Cool, I belong to a Club here in Houston...mostly Porsches and a couple of 1000 hp Supras....you are welcome to join us, XKR. We would love to have your G35 come out some time as well.

Did you know that Lone Star Motorsports is sponsoring a series of 60-130 competitions?

Old 08-31-2007, 01:55 PM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
IMHO, it's rude to post an invoice because of circumstances...some people get different treatment depending on the dollar amount spent and parts ordered. Not every invoice is the same, and should only be looked at as a benchmark and not a hard fact....again, just my opinion.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:58 PM

You sound like a very classy guy. Do you go to any meets in Houston (Planet Zero, etc.)?

Do you ever go over to www.6speedonline.com ?

Old 08-31-2007, 02:02 PM
XKR
Cool, I belong to a Club here in Houston...mostly Porsches and a couple of 1000 hp Supras....you are welcome to join us, XKR. We would love to have your G35 come out some time as well.

Did you know that Lone Star Motorsports is sponsoring a series of 60-130 competitions?

I did not know that. But I dont want a 1000hp Supra to have me for lunch

Old 08-31-2007, 02:10 PM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)

You sound like a very classy guy. Do you go to any meets in Houston (Planet Zero, etc.)?

Do you ever go over to www.6speedonline.com ?
thanks ....but I'm actually from Boston, MA

I didn't mean to be harsh in my analysis of your $ mark, but it has been proven time and time again, that a forged shortblock will get you to the 500-550whp safely...anything above that and sleeving has to be considered.

I also think it's a bit unfair to try to compare a g35 to a porsche

Last edited by 617G; 08-31-2007 at 02:22 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the G inherently slow... even at 400WHP?