Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

ATI Procharger on Coupe w/ 9 lb pulley - the journey begins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks guys. It's definitely fun to drive, but it's certainly not a "true beast." Did a 3rd and 4th gear pull against a friend of mine that runs 12.70's at the track on stock tires, and 12.10's on DR's. (2012 GT with some light mods) and we were pretty even, he would pull a few inches when we shifted cause I didn't ****** the gears like he does, but he never got past my front fender. I had a trunk full of tools and a passenger and he was empty. So, not "fast." But quick enough to surprise a few folks.

Although, that blower unit is SO F*CKING LOUD I couldn't sneak up on an army of German tanks. LMAO

I spent the last week learning where the power builds enough to break tires loose, what the a/f's / lambda should read at certain points, have ps2's on all four corners, tuning the suspension (as much as you can being this dumped) and I'm ready for ZDayZ now.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:38 PM

Beat the snot out of it last week at ZDayZ on the Dragon, Hellbender 28, and the Skyway several times. Blew the rear o2 sensor out under full boost (not like that's a whole lot) bung and all, on the skyway on the way home. It sounds like a cessna now, but.... she held strong! Car is still doing well.

I'll be welding the bung back on tonight and searching for other cracks. ha

Old 05-29-2012, 10:40 AM

So... made it 2,000 miles and ran into my first problem. I'd classify it as "more major than minor," although it's not a full on "blown up motor." As my previous post states, blew an o2 out under full boost. The test pipe had a hairline crack in it and let go. Drove it home, drove it to work, drove it back home, then fixed it. When I fixed it, (since you couldn't hear a thing over the huge hole in the exhaust earlier) I noticed a bad idle. Actually, the oscillation in the blower was the most noticeable part for me.

Immediately, I knew what it sounded like. Everyone called me crazy and said I was overreacting, I was the "stereotypical FI newb" etc. However, I've owned two turbo cars before this, and had enough experience with blown motors before that. It sounded like a cylinder wasn't under full compression.

I ignored everyone's reassurance and immediately did a compression test.
165, 165, 170, 165, 160, aaaaaaaaaand a 125 on cyl #3.

Suddenly, I'm not as paranoid as every claims I am.

Drove it for a day, took it to Z1 and had the rear o2's turned off since I obviously didn't need THOSE anymore. While hooked up to Osiris, turned the cylinders off one at a time and #3 was definitely still firing... so, good sign.

Drove back home, drank for a day, then took it over to a friends house and did a leak down test a day later.

50% leak down, and obviously pressurizing the crank case. Best guess at the moment? Cracked ring landing, or cracked ring. #3 probably already had issues to begin with, the car used oil so I knew there was something somewhere. Figured the o2 blew out and while under boost it ran lean. Of course, I knew I SHOULD have done a compression test across the board before installing the blower, but... I didn't. Can't change that now, but lesson definitely learned going forward. Don't skimp on the diagnostics basics. Run a baseline test before you do anything to your car.

Car still runs and drives great, but that low cylinder is only going to get worse. So, the search for a decently priced stock VQ35de begins now. Drop in the stock replacement in a few months, then take my time and build this one over the next year.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Banned
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Todd

Good luck with everything, and I have my eyes open for a good used stock block.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Z1Motorsports
Sorry to hear about this Todd

Good luck with everything, and I have my eyes open for a good used stock block.
It's all good. Dealing with Z1 has been the best and easiest part of this whole experience, so I appreciate all the help. There's nothing to do but shrug, smile, and move on. It is what it is.

Stock VQ, some headers while it's out, maybe some cams, then toss it back in there and go for Round 2. lol

You guys still down to tune it this pesky little b*tch when I'm done? haha

FYI for anyone else reading: Between Rob, Jon, Chad, Erin etc. all there to lend a hand, answer questions, texts and emails, then tuning it for me WITHOUT needing kitty litter... there's no way I'd be able to make it through this without the Z1 Motorsports guys.

I'd probably look something like this if it wasn't for them:

Old 05-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ibelonginprison
It's all good. Dealing with Rob has been the best and easiest part of this whole experience, so I appreciate all the help. There's nothing to do but shrug, smile, and move on. It is what it is.

Stock VQ, some headers while it's out, maybe some cams, then toss it back in there and go for Round 2. lol

You guys still down to tune it this pesky little b*tch when I'm done? haha

FYI for anyone else reading: With Rob there to lend a hand, answer questions, texts and emails, then tuning it for me WITHOUT needing kitty litter... there's no way I'd be able to make it through this without Rob.

I'd probably look something like this if it wasn't for Rob:
Fixed

And of course we are down to tune it again!

-Rob

Old 05-29-2012, 02:30 PM

lawlz... glory hog.
All the Z1 guys step up. I give them massive amounts of credit for not locking the doors and turning off the lights when I pull up.

Where you been my last two trips, home slice?!?

fyi, I'm not giving up on this procharger thing yet. PC makes plenty more blower units... there may be something out there I can tinker with in the coming years when I need more cfm.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ibelonginprison
lawlz... glory hog.
All the Z1 guys step up. I give them massive amounts of credit for not locking the doors and turning off the lights when I pull up.

Where you been my last two trips, home slice?!?

fyi, I'm not giving up on this procharger thing yet. PC makes plenty more blower units... there may be something out there I can tinker with in the coming years when I need more cfm.

The first of the 2 trips I didn't get back until right before you left, Saturday I wasn't feeling well and had to call in.

What are you waiting on!?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Z1Motorsports

What are you waiting on!?
Rob levels of baller cash. LOL

Old 06-11-2012, 12:03 PM

So, been driving for about a thousand miles on the motor now after discovering the "issue" with the low compression on cyl #3. Took it on a road trip to the beach this past weekend. The car drives great, pulls hard, builds the same amount of boost and all the gauges look normal.

It uses a little more oil now when I boost it hard, but I guess that's to be expected. The soot on my rear bumper doesn't look any worse than the first 2,000 miles. I'm starting to believe that this issue was here already, but really only raised it's ugly head when I ran it a few boosted miles. So the search for a stock, used VQ continues.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:20 PM

So, picked up a used VQ35 for a GREAT price this past weekend. Coil packs, pulleys, plenum, manifolds... everything. Fortunately, the current motor is still strong as hell and everything is running just fine so I have time to go through this one the best I can. I'll be doing a leakdown test, then see if I can find a starter and bolt up my old flywheel and try to run a compression test. Pulled the plugs, checked the fluid, turned it over by hand... so far so good.

As a random side note, I also got a 6mt trans as part of the deal. I'll probably just sell it and the other spare VQ parts that I don't need. I'll post pics of it all later this week.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PM me a price for the lower oil pan shipped to 19120

Old 09-21-2012, 01:56 PM

impressed... the motor lasted almost 4,000 miles with a cylinder going down. But I think she finally said "f*ck you" this morning.

Just cruising to work, noticed the power all of the sudden went completely away. Car almost wouldn't accelerate in 6th gear. That's when I knew it was time. I just pulled in the right lane and made it the final 2 miles to my exit going 70. Got off the interstate, smelled oil, smoke drifting through the vents as oil was being forced out the breather tubes, car died, wouldn't idle. Started back up but really struggled and will run if you keep it over 2k rpm. Going to try to limp it home tonight. We'll see if it makes it, or if it grenades completely.

Oh well, she put up a good fight for being boosted from 108k-113k miles. just over 400whp. Did ZDayZ, several long road trips, 50ish pulls on the dyno, and ran the dragon and cherohala skyway like a boss. Took down a modded 335i, C5 vette, held it's own against two slightly modded mid 12 second 2012 GT's and embarrassed a few other lesser cars that thought "stance is slow." Of course... all of that was at the track cause we don't race on interstates on Gdriver. O_o

Spare VQ35DE sitting in the corner on an engine stand. Looks like I have my fall project.

The following users liked this post:
Footballmania32 (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Not sure how I missed that whole development- dealing with my own issues I guess. Interested to see how your tear out / replacement goes as well as your rebuild progress!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 AM

Thanks man!
For now I'm just debating how much "bolt on stuff" I want to do to this spare. Headers and cams, or just suck it up and toss it in stock then rebuild this one that I'm pulling out (or buy a Dynosty built block lol)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ATI Procharger on Coupe w/ 9 lb pulley - the journey begins