Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

ATI Procharger on Coupe w/ 9 lb pulley - the journey begins

Old 10-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
As everyone knows there are different stages of "blow'd up."
Stage 1 was blowing out the o2 sensor under full boost, running lean, and cracking a piston or ring. 160-170 compression except for cyl #3, which was 120. Not bad, still ran, but it was headed south ever since then.

Stage 2 for me was last month when something else let go and it started running very poorly, didn't have power, and was blowing some oil out the breather vents. This would have been the final stage for most people, but I don't roll like that.

Stage 3 is judgment day. After leaving the car sitting for a month, I said f*ck it, time to make one last appearance. Rode out to Z Nationals at the Barber Motorsports Park track day. It's only a 20 minute drive, so I cruised low and slow. That didn't help. LOL By the time I got there it was making a horrific tapping noise from the top end. Almost sounded like it was coming from the timing chain area. Definitely NOT a knocking rod. Poooooooooossssssible it was a piston, but, it was such a weird noise that no one actually could figure it out. So, cruised back home.

Almost, anyway. The noise tripled in volume at my exit, then shut off. I didn't even bother restarting. Just went home, grabbed the F250 and tow strap and strung it the last mile to my house.

I'll autopsy it when I pull this motor and swap the other motor in. BUT - this one is officially dead. haha

Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
After stage 1 you should have pulled it and rebuilt it. Likely little damage had occurred so most parts would have been reusable. Now the whole block and crank could be garbage.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
meh - I've never been a "pull, rebuild or replace at the first sign of trouble" kinda guy. It's worked out well for the most part. A few exceptions in the past 15 years apply, but for the most part gambling is part of it for me.

I checked the oil for shavings/pieces often. And the noise was most certainly not a rod/bearing, so I'm not too concerned that the crank is destroyed. Cylinder walls, possibly damaged. But if you live like the car is a glass chandelier life is gonna be boring. I almost did a 5k clutch dump to send it out in style, but opted against leaving a greasy spot like a dead deer. LOL

But if it's jacked, so be it. It's jacked. Part out the good pieces, keep them as spares or trade them in as a core somewhere that wants to bore the cylinder walls tor line-hone the crank cradle. *shrug* is was it is.

Either way, smile and move along!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:21 PM
B T
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice job Todd, hope you get many more miles outta your build.