Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Turbo Question

Old 03-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo Question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just ordered fi HFC and ark true dual exhaust. Will I be able to use those on a single turbo set up? I know very little if nothing about turbos but a friend of mine said I wouldn't be able to becuase the turbo hooks into the exhaust and it was a waste. I can still cancel my exhaust order before it ships so please help asap.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
lol unless you really have the 10k+ to get a reliable single turbo kit actually installed just keep the exhaust.

edit: If you really do have the money, and intention, and most importantly the money to do a turbo install - start reading what you would need rather than buying parts now. Or if you aren't planning on doing all tha background research and what not, add an extra 10-20k+ to the price tag to have a shop do all the work for you.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Xet
lol unless you really have the 10k+ to get a reliable single turbo kit actually installed just keep the exhaust.

edit: If you really do have the money, and intention, and most importantly the money to do a turbo install - start reading what you would need rather than buying parts now. Or if you aren't planning on doing all tha background research and what not, add an extra 10-20k+ to the price tag to have a shop do all the work for you.
Well I already ordered the exhaust just waiting on them to process it. I am aware of what I need and how much it is going to cost. I originally wanted a vortech but heard I could get more out of a turbo. I am rebuilding my block and rebuilding/porting my heads and buying a lot more parts to go with that but the turbo is new to me and I can cancel the exhaust if its not going to work with a turbo down the road. Will I have to just get it customized to fit? I don't even know how turbos work off the exhaust. Tried finding more info but most of them are turbo cat back but nothing really says anything about aftermarket dual exhaust with them. Hence the question does anybody know if it will work with true dual exhaust.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:23 PM
I have 750cc injectors, stage 2 fuel management system, oil cooler, high capacity oil pan, 320lph fuel pump, one step colder spark plugs, rebuilt block and heads, and a few other things on my list so yes I have been looking up what parts I would need. Like I said I was going with a vortech so dual exhaust wouldn't be an issue but I heard turbo was better and I am clueless about turbos

Old 03-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Turbo isn't better necessarily. They both have their pros and cons. Which turbo kit are you getting?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Turbonetics single turbo tuner kit. Or boosted performance single turbo kit. Well I want to get up to the low-mid 500hp range and that's why I'm building my block and porting my heads but I was told using a vortech it would be pushing the vortech to its limits and turbo would probably be a better bet for that HP range.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
For the boosted performance kit, theyll def cut into your exhaust since that is a mid mount turbo. Im sure the shop installing your kit will be able to do it. As for the turbonetics kit, im positive thatll attach to your manifolds, not the exhaust.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Alright yeah that's the way the tubonetics looked and which is why I might go with that one but I figured if I did have dual exhaust they would cut into it somehow.thanks for the info though!! I won't cancel my exhaust then haha

Old 03-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dotto929
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just ordered fi HFC and ark true dual exhaust. Will I be able to use those on a single turbo set up? I know very little if nothing about turbos but a friend of mine said I wouldn't be able to becuase the turbo hooks into the exhaust and it was a waste. I can still cancel my exhaust order before it ships so please help asap.
To answer your question you would only have to worry about your turbo mounting point in a mid-mount set up because the turbo would be attached after the exhaust manifold. from what i understand with the turbonetics kit is the exhaust manifold is configured so that that turbo mounts on in a way that it won't cause interference so no cutting of your exhaust to make it fit.

Last edited by N8Deezy; 03-09-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by N8Deezy
To answer your question you would only have to worry about your turbo mounting point in a mid-mount set up because the turbo would be attached after the exhaust manifold. from what i understand with the turbonetics kit is the exhaust manifold is configured so that that turbo mounts on in a way that it won't cause interference so no cutting of your exhaust to make it fit.
Mmmmm....NO.

Every single turbo kit on the market is built to bolt up to the "axle back" portion of the OEM exhaust. This is where the OEM Y-pipe would end.

It has nothing to do with anything you have mentioned. Every single turbo kit has a single exit pipe. This is why you see a lot of ST guys using single 3" exhaust systems. Each one of these kits also has to merge the two banks at some point to feed a single inlet turbo.

OP, if you are looking to make over 400whp, stay away from the TN kit.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by 350Z T
Mmmmm....NO.

Every single turbo kit on the market is built to bolt up to the "axle back" portion of the OEM exhaust. This is where the OEM Y-pipe would end.

It has nothing to do with anything you have mentioned. Every single turbo kit has a single exit pipe. This is why you see a lot of ST guys using single 3" exhaust systems. Each one of these kits also has to merge the two banks at some point to feed a single inlet turbo.

OP, if you are looking to make over 400whp, stay away from the TN kit.
Isn't the axle back portion of the exhaust the towards the rear of the car? Regardless of orientation The Y pipe from the exhaust system mounts up to the catalytic converters. or in the OPs new setup the test pipes. The premise from the original question is will the stuff he bought have to be modified to go single turbo in the near future. From a person who runs twin turbo a true dual isn't a problem, I get that a pipe to merge both banks is what is required. The question at hand is will the stuff this person purchased work.

Last edited by N8Deezy; 03-10-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by N8Deezy
Isn't the axle back portion of the exhaust the towards the rear of the car? The Y pipe from the exhaust system mounts up to the catalytic converters. or in the OPs new setup the test pipes. The premise from the original question is will the stuff he bought have to be modified to go single turbo in the near future. That answer should be no.
If he bought a true dual exhaust, the answer is yes. His shop would have to build a reverse Y-pipe, to split the single exhaust pipe coming from the turbo, in to two (dual) pipes.

How do you plan on runing test pipes with any single turbo kit?

Old 03-10-2013, 12:33 AM
Read the OPs original statement. Will FI HFC and the true dual exhaust work, someone told them no but that is an incorrect statement. The turbo mounts off of the exhaust manifold. then to high flow cats or OEM cats etc and then to the exhaust system. So what i'm hearing is that the momentum, turbonetics, aps and other single turbo kits do not use test pipes?

Last edited by N8Deezy; 03-10-2013 at 12:39 AM. Reason: didn't get your quick reply.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:39 AM
Ok, tell me how you plan on attaching the two HFC's and a true dual exhaust to this:

or this:

or this:

Last edited by 350Z T; 03-10-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Obviously 2 would not work.. It looks like our misunderstandings stem from what i felt was obvious. Only 1 test pipe, Not 2 would be installed.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo Question