Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Turbo concerns

Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo concerns

Hey guys,

I got a problem and I need some advice. I am about to put a turbo in my 07 g35 coupe. I have 2 options.

1) A brand new single Momentum turbo kit
2) A slightly used GTM twin turbo kit

Here is where the problem is...If I go with option 1, the shop where I would get it seems like they are trying to screw with me a little...I when I got my quote, I got a quote for coilovers, brakes, turbo gauges, and the turbo. I was told that I can get it all for right at 11 grand....As of yesterday I looked at my invoice and they never included the gauges or labor for the coilovers or brakes (I spent $400 more letting them order them instead of ordering them my self because I figured it would be easier to have them do it all) and now I have to install the brakes ans coilovers because they cant meet budget.

Option 2 I would still have to install the brakes and coilovers but I would get the used GTM kit with gauges for almost the same price that I would pay for the new single kit, without gauges.

Now Option 1 is the very last Momentum kit (they went out of business
) and its made specifically for my engine, but with the terrible customer service I am seriously thinking about going with a used kit...

Both shops have good enough reputations, I just need to know if its worth it to go with the used GTM kit or should I go with the Momentum kit and deal with the bad customer service and no gauges.

Any info/input will be greatly appreciated

Old 03-22-2013, 10:49 PM
damn...really? No love? Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

Old 03-23-2013, 01:29 AM
GTM builds engines. if you want to get real with it... get a turbo kit of your choice and get a GTM build. there is really no point in turboing a car such as this (seriously) without a rebuild. It can't handle anything that would reflect the money spent on the turbo charger.... basically do it right or don't at all.

Posted from G35driver.com App for Android

Old 03-23-2013, 01:35 AM
do not go to a shop either you'll pay an easy 5k+ for labor ..not too long ago I redid my entire car (everything) at once, so serioisly value my opinion. You ever considered a lighly used turbo with a slightly used built engine?

Old 03-23-2013, 01:35 AM
With either kit Ill surpass the 400 mark, the VQ35 stock should not be pushed past 450 but I'm gonna stay clear of that number because I got no intentions of going to stage 2. I just wanted to see if there is any real dangers with going with a slightly used kit...and I mean slightly, they had it on a 350 for a month before the car got repoed.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:37 AM
both shops are sitting right at 2 grand for labor so thats not going to be a problem, but no i did not consider that at all

Old 03-23-2013, 01:37 AM
I kinda have to go to a shop...I don't have a dyno in my house, nor do I have the ability to pull the engine out to put the turbo on.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:39 AM
Both turbo kits are good up to 700 though if I decided to get forged internals...I'm not going to but its nice to know I can.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:42 AM
again I have to comment...
.gauges are the least of your worries. electronics are razy expensive and will add to a point that a.$200 gauge is a purchase you don't even think about. I would say add an extra 4k ( at the bare minnimum ) on top of whateber you forecast It to cost on paper. And If you decide you wanna get real with it, do It right.. because this isn't something you can half a$$. not trying to scare you out of it. I couldn't be happer but remember.... you gotta pay to play.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:47 AM
Im not really all that worried about the gauges, I know that they are not necessary with a good tune, they are just nice to have....and this car is more for show than anything, I have only put 8000 miles on it in the last 2 years...This whole process is costing me around the $11,000 area. I'm committed to doing it, and either way I'm gonna boost the car, I'm just trying to figure out if there is any real concerns with a slightly used turbo.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:48 AM
eh I was able to Get it done without going to a shop but that's because I know people. but there are no real dangers at all to buying a used turbo. more for buying a used engine... but if you don't know exactly what to look for your gonna get screwed over. what are you paying for the used tt kit?

Old 03-23-2013, 01:49 AM
What are you talking about gauges are absolutely necessary and a sensual if you're going to run twin turbo you need to run to air fuel gauges at the bare minimum along with a boost controller or your car will not survive 10,000 miles.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:50 AM
The used tt is $8300, with labor and parts...the kit lists new at almost $11,000

Old 03-23-2013, 01:52 AM
I got 2 buddies 1 with a 350 nizmo, and the other has a 07g35 as well, neither of them have gauges and the G is pulling 720 whp....as long as the tune is good and the shop is trust worthy, the gauges are not important....they both have the same Momentum turbo, is my point here

Old 03-23-2013, 01:55 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I think $11k is little excessive. Maybe just buy the kit and have them install it and tune it. Get the brakes and coils some where else or just DIY. Or you can just buy the momentum kit and just take it some where else for install.

If you get the feeling there trying to screw you, then more then likely they are. I wouldn't trust anyone with that much money unless, i really thought they were great group of guys. Trust your instincts. Most people instincts 9/10 is usually right.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo concerns